How many of you hunt with a muzzle brake?

Do you hunt with a muzzle brake?

• Yes

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No

Votes: 103 54.8%

• Total voters
Interesting. My brother in law doesn't know anyone he served with who doesn't get disability. Even a lady who never deployed who gets about 40k a year. Really pisses him off because he figured his shot knees were part of what he signed up for and refused disability.
I asked for hearing aids and they set me up with a test no questions asked. The VA hospital in Minneapolis did my hernia surgery the same week they learned I had a problem ... and in the middle of the pandemic. No complaints about VA care from this vet!
VA disability compensation doesn’t have anything to do with healthcare other than the fact that your rating determines how much care you can receive without a co-pay.

Jumping in without following.
I like bruising my shoulder with .06 and .270. Makes me feel like I have been doing something really manly.
Well at least you aren’t one of those hooligans hotrodding around in their pickups blasting off their braked rifles just to hear the noise.

Jumping in without following.
I like bruising my shoulder with .06 and .270. Makes me feel like I have been doing something really manly.
If those calibers bruise you, perhaps you might consider changing the stocks. Not what I would call shoulder busting cartridges.

Those are wimpy cartridges...Maybe you you should take up archery.

Different people have different tolerances. If you think that's wimpy, I once heard of a guy who would fly into a rage and attack people around him anytime he heard a loud noise. Same guy couldn't even handle a little brass bouncing off his shoulder at the shooting range! Craziest thing I ever heard. Told him to take up archery if he didn't like loud noises.

Why do YOU assume that I thought they would be anti-brake? Maybe they'd all love them - I have no idea, just thought that their professional opinions on them would be interesting.
I agree and think they would be interesting opinions to hear too.

I’ve reread your post. It reads as you implying they would side against them. You starts with you introducing them and continue in a single paragraph to explain your opinions, hence the connection.

Not a veteran myself but have a few friends that are. Sounds like they find any little excuse they can to deny you guys on everything. Damn shame

It's not so bad, really. If it's documented in your medical records while you're still on active duty there's a presumption that it's service connected. It's when you go and try to get disability for something that begins after separation or retirement that you have a bit of a hurdle to prove it was your military time that caused the ailment. If you don't have any documented tinnitus, retire, and then go in ten years later to try to get disability for the ringing you have in your ears now (but have been exposed to a lot of loud noises since you've retired), they're not going to be inclined to pay you disability for it. It's very important to get your medical issues documented and addressed BEFORE you separate or retire.

10 rounds of 165 g through the 30.06 with a t-shirt....I dare you.

I started shooting with a Rem 700 30-06 with no recoil pad. Usually no hearing protection. This was only 20 yrs ago but my dad is an old farmer who saw no need for that stuff. Took a while to get over those bad habits and flinch. Still have that gun with a new stock on it now.

The same assholes who show up at the range with muzzle brakes will drive up in tricked out big trucks with fat boy noisy exhausts. "Look at me! I can make a lot of racket and be an offensive jerk because ... I can." Somewhere along the line it became stylish for outdoors types to look and act like Neanderthals. I credit the Duck Commanders reality show for starting the trend.
258166706_1102093847264357_6460965763185889586_n.jpg

It's not so bad, really. If it's documented in your medical records while you're still on active duty there's a presumption that it's service connected. It's when you go and try to get disability for something that begins after separation or retirement that you have a bit of a hurdle to prove it was your military time that caused the ailment. If you don't have any documented tinnitus, retire, and then go in ten years later to try to get disability for the ringing you have in your ears now (but have been exposed to a lot of loud noises since you've retired), they're not going to be inclined to pay you disability for it. It's very important to get your medical issues documented and addressed BEFORE you separate or retire.
I don’t want to hijack OPs thread, but quite a few ailments don’t show up or aren’t detected until years after service. In fact it is more than common. But when that happens a vet needs to show nexus to get service connected. However, you never know what service med recs they have before them during a comp and pen. I am on my 3rd appeal and 2nd VA attorney in the last 8 years and still waiting. My case is the norm and not the exception.

I haven't found a muzzle brake to be necessary on a hunting rig. I do have mags in same caliber, one with and one without, and the one with the brake is much more enjoyable at the range. But the one without goes hunting 9/10 times.

I don’t want to hijack OPs thread, but quite a few ailments don’t show up or aren’t detected until years after service. In fact it is more than common. But when that happens a vet needs to show nexus to get service connected. However, you never know what service med recs they have before them during a comp and pen. I am on my 3rd appeal and 2nd VA attorney in the last 8 years and still waiting. My case is the norm and not the exception.
All true, and certainly the case with many ailments and many situations. Just meant to say that it's only hard to get the VA to agree something is service connected when it presents post-service. I know it's something a lot of veterans deal with and is very frustrating. I don't see it as the VA taking any excuse they can to deny a claim, it's just very hard to determine that something that first occurs later in life was caused by an earlier time in the service. I know the day my tinnitus started. Or rather, I know the day that I got tinnitus and it never went away. There were plenty of previous events that contributed to it both in and out of the line of duty. Every previous time I blew out my hearing the ringing eventually went away. The last time it didn't. If it had happened after I retired I'd probably be dealing with the same thing since I have no doubt that incidents that occurred in the military contributed to the current ailment. It would be damn hard to prove, though.

Like you said, I don't want to hijack the thread and enough about the VA. All that to say I understand the importance of wearing hearing protection. I have tinnitus from a gun that didn't have a brake on it. Since I won't pull the trigger on a rifle without wearing hearing protection, the benefits of the brake make the nominal weight and length addition worth it to me. It isn't about recoil reduction for me, it's about being able to spot my own shot, stay on target, and potentially get another shot into an already wounded animal that I otherwise would not be able to. The recoil doesn't bother me, but not knowing whether or not I hit something or where it went after the shot does.

Howdy. The answer is yes on one(1) rifle I hunt with. It has a built-in(a part of the barrel) muzzle brake for my custom Savage 110, shooting a "35 Whelen". Shoots with great accuracy and has minimal recoil.... like a 243 or 257 Roberts. :cool:

I agree and think they would be interesting opinions to hear too.

I’ve reread your post. It reads as you implying they would side against them. You starts with you introducing them and continue in a single paragraph to explain your opinions, hence the connection.
I was unaware that I was exchanging views with an English major. I'll endeavor to pay more attention to sentence, paragraph structure and grammar in future posts,

Back