Yeti GOBOX Collection

Here's why elk ranches should be illegal in every state

Big Fin said:
Funny to follow this arguement. When MT was trying to pass legislation with regards to game farms, I attended most meetings and testified at hearings, asking the state to make these operators pay all the costs related to the risks they are shifting to the citizens of the state.

I specifically asked if the legislators would pass a law, forcing the operators to provide a bond or get insurance that would indemnify the state for any damages incurred by disease, escape, etc. I felt the state should not bear the cost of these risks, just so a few people could satisfy the market for lazy ass blowhards who want to shoot a pet.

The counter arguement provided by the industry experts was that such requirement would make their operations economically infeasible, as the insurance would be prohibitively expensive.

Why would it be so expensive? Because the best risk analysts in the world - insurance companies who make a living analyzing, covering, and transferring risk - would not be willing to assume all the risk currently borne by the state (via lack of required bonding/insurance) without compensation. For them to assume this risk, they would require premiums equal to the potential liability with consideration of the likelihood of the potential liability becoming reality.

So those who say game farming has no risk, go try get insurance to protect me and the other citizens of the state. This insurance is available, but the cost would force you to charge a price that no one would pay. A true cost of doing business that you currently are shifting to the state

Lets face it, the risks associated with game farming cannot be insured and remain profitable, so the game farmers lobby their legislators to keep regulations low and allow the state and surrounding states take on those risks. I call this business welfare.

Welfare given to the biggest pissin' and moaning group of "supposedly" anti-government folks I have ever dealt with. How ironic that these people who claim to be such self-sufficient rebels need the government to cover their parasitic asses and protect them from the true costs of operations. These fakes don't have the 'nads to pay their own way!

NIce post Big Fin. And I am serious.

Tom, you've been asking for pragmatism in lieu of emotion...Fin certainly pegged it for us.

Damn well said.

Here's an interesting article for you Tom. Clone a couple hundred of these guys and I'm sure they would bring top dollar on a canned hunt farm.

Wisconsin Hunter Bags Deer With 7 Legs

FOND DU LAC, Wis. (AP) -- Rick Lisko hunts deer with a bow but got his most unusual one driving his truck down his mile-long driveway. The young buck had nub antlers - and seven legs. Lisko said it also had both male and female reproductive organs. "It was definitely a freak of nature," Lisko said. "I guess it's a real rarity."

He said he slowed down as the buck and two does ran across the driveway Nov. 22, but the buck ran under the truck and got hit.

When he looked at the animal, he noticed three- to four-inch appendages growing from the rear legs. Later, he found a smaller appendage growing from one of the front legs.

"It's a pretty weird deer," he said, describing the extra legs as resembling "crab pinchers."

"It kind of gives you the creeps when you look at it," he said, but he thought he saw the appendages moving, as if they were functional, before the deer was hit.

Warden Doug Bilgo of the state Department of Natural Resources came to Lisko's property near Mud Lake in the town of Osceola to tag the deer.

"I have never seen anything like that in all the years that I've been working as a game warden and being a hunter myself," Bilgo said. "It wasn't anything grotesque or ugly or anything. It was just unusual that it would have those little appendages growing out like that."

Bilgo took photos and sent information on the animal to DNR wildlife managers.

John Hoffman of Eden Meat Market skinned the deer for Lisko, who wasn't going to waste the venison from the animal.

"And by the way, I did eat it," Lisko said. "It was tasty."

You all want me to respond to Big Fin. That's history, that's a basic response that comes to mind. Montana clearly managed these things wrongly to me and to the citizens of Montana, its history. I'd rather discuss how to manage better in the future. Insurance would not be better management, something more preventive of problems would be. They're phasing out the elk game farms in Montana, that's the best they could come up with. I didn't live and vote in Montana for that initiative, but I made suggestions here for the issues that were brought up back when it was being discussed.

Red deer and elk seem to be interacting in New Zealand, that would be something current to discuss, if there are problems with the interaction, there would be some data from there. Somehow, I doubt anyone here will find any problems, even if they existed, but you never know. People come up with some stuff sometimes.

The Canada test contradicted itself on that Idaho elk cow. The cow was imported into Idaho legally as an elk. No one here has suggested any improved test, let alone even explained that contradictory result. I'm the one that found that to post here, apparently they're thinking its a false positive from a sample, but not all samples on the elk cow, some were negative too.

In Texas, we collect a hunting/shooting fee from those who hunt a high fenced animal, whether it be native or exotic. That covers costs associated with parks and wildlife work. Escapes are open to be shot by anyone that sees them and has permission to shoot on the land where the escape is seen, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, every year. Only being a good neighbor with a tagged animal requires that the escape not be shot.

Its history, that's my basic response to what Big Fin talked about. Its not what is done down here. Its working here, it works other places. Montana is getting rid of it, that's how it worked out there.

Tom said:
I'd rather discuss how to manage better in the future.
Yep, we have. We have a quorum and a majority vote, No more game farms. Motion carries.:D

Tom, do you notice that of the 20+ people that responded to this thread, only one agrees with your point of view? And he's got a financial interest in the topic, so his vote is disqualified.

Tom said:
Red deer and elk seem to be interacting in New Zealand, that would be something current to discuss, if there are problems with the interaction, there would be some data from there. Somehow, I doubt anyone here will find any problems, even if they existed, but you never know.
I'm curious how you would define "problems". If a muddied up gene pool is not a problem to you, then what would be?

mtmiller said:
Yep, we have. We have a quorum and a majority vote, No more game farms. Motion carries.:D

...next agenda item...scent lok & barrel de-resonators...fair or unfair?:cool: ;)

I think the boogey man gene is the main problem here! I'm glad it seems I don't have it yet. We all have a financial interest, as well as other interests in these things, that's no reason to rule out a vote, whether it be a public tag or something else. I think that idea comes from the boogey man gene, throw out a vote like that.:)

Tom said:
I think the boogey man gene is the main problem here! I'm glad it seems I don't have it yet. We all have a financial interest, as well as other interests in these things, that's no reason to rule out a vote, whether it be a public tag or something else. I think that idea comes from the boogey man gene, throw out a vote like that.:)

:W: :W: :W: :W: :W: :W: :W: :W:

....ok, consider it thrown out.:rolleyes: :D 93 posts & we're down to the scientific premise of the 'boogey man' gene.:confused:

NHY, how bout them Cowboys!
ya think they will like being home watching the Ravens play in the Super Bowl?

...chit Tom, now you're sounding like a democrat.:D That's blasphemy from a Texan...or do you live in Austin?;)

Regardless of how Montana handled it, this is not an issue of the past. This is an issue of the present and the future. So long as game farms exist and the operators are not forced to address the issue of risk, nothing will change, and this will be an issue of the present.

I would prefer to not over-regulate anything, and requiring insurance or some other risk coverage is not over-regulation. Allocation of cost and risk to those creating the cost and risk is fundamental to a capitalist democracy, which I am a staunch supporter of.

I suggest, and evidence would support, that if insuring was required, it would have great changes in management, which in Tom's post he say we should focus on.

Who would get the cheapest insurance? The guy who double fences, tests regularly, complies with tagging and identificiation, keeps good records, and runs a good ship. Are these not changes to management? Changes that would improve things significantly.

It then shifts the incentive of managment change to the market via costs/benefits. Good operators would have lower premiums, though still significant, due to the huge risks even good operators present. Bad operators would pay even more.

I have heard the argument that adding costs (insurance) does nothing to change management or improve operations. I think any reasonable person would disagree with that statement, given the incentives that would then be provided to operate at the lowest risk scenario. Then it is not the govenment harrassing the operator. It is he and the insurance company with whom he has contracted to assume the significant risk his operation imposes on others.

Would this not imrove future management and provide incentive for preventative measures as Tom says should be the direction we go? I think it would.

Or should we continue to fight over what level of regulation is necessary and allow poiticians to grant favors to their friends by letting the citizens pay all the costs?

So, I think it is an issue of the present, and would be worth considering by those states that currently allow game farms. If these operators could stay profitable after covering the risks of disease, escape, ect., then let them operate, but at full cost.

As much as I hate penned shooting, I know it is impossible to legislate morality. I think letting the market determine who survives and who fails is more "American" and more democratic. I am confident that if such requirement were imposed, the number of game farms would dry up real quickly - probably to the point of extinction.

No boogeyman here, just a dyed in the wool capitalist who loves to hunt.

Happy Hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back