Help me pick a bag

quackaddict

I'm currently running a Longbow and I like it so far. I'm really wanting to start pulling some overnighters and 3ish day hunts bivy/backpack style. I'm trying to decide if I should go with a Crewcab or a Metcalf. I like them both for different reasons.

I love how versatile the CC is. Looks like it'd be a great turkey hunting pack and runs from a small day pack to a 3-4 day pack. Looks like the organization is pretty slick too.

On the other hand, I like the Metcalf because it's nice and simple.

Of course I'd be running either with a lid and the lift kit, but I just can't figure out which I think would be the better pack. I wasn't even really considering the CC, but the more I look at it's capability/versatility, the more I think I'd like it more than the Metcalf. Help a brotha out...

I use the Longbow for day hunts and overnight hunts. For my 3-5 day hunts, I use the Metcalf with the Lid. It easily carries all the gear I need for a hunt of that duration. Once camp is set up, I unclip the Lid, and just hunt out of the main pack.
The only small gripe I have is the lack of internal pockets/organization; there is one zippered pocket inside, and a hydration sleeve for a Camelbak, etc. It is just a large rucksack styled pack, but with much better straps and buckles to cinch down any size load. To get around that small issue, and not just have a bag full of loose gear jangling around, I separate items into stuff sacks for easy retrieval -- water filter, food, game bags, rain/cold weather clothes, tags/headlamp/first aid, etc. But, the simplicity of the pack is one of the best parts about it, along with the full length zipper down the side. It makes getting at something that may be on the bottom of the bag simple.
The MR Metcalf (and all their bags) are very durable, well thought out and comfy with heavy loads. They are on the heavy side, so pack wisely to offset the pack weight with NICE frame of just over 7 pounds. But, you can't go wrong with it -- it will last you many seasons and is my vote for an MR pack for bivi hunting.

I sold my Longbow after owning a Metcalf. I use mine as a daypack and a 3-day trip pack. Longer trips I use the 6500 bag.

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ...qid=1411152285&sr=8-1&keywords=alps+commander

This is the best pack I have ever owned. I have no complaints other than is can be noisy when carrying a heavy load. The price helps too. If you got 600-800 to throw at a pack then have at it. I will use this until it wears out and then buy another one.

^^^^^Me too!! Going on third season with mine and it is a SCREAMING bargain! Lifetime guarantee as well. I would have to replace it 10 TIMES at what I paid for it to get close to what the "big name" units cost. Getting the pack w/accessories and 5000+ci bag for +-$75 is very doable if you look around.

Thanks guys. I've already got a NICE frame, so I'm not really looking for another system anytime soon, just a different bag.

But I do really like the HH Full Curls VA.

Just watch the classified section. There are lots of used MR packs available as guys are constantly trying to keep up with the newest pack and MR seems to come up with a new model every year. I think they figured out that only so many people are willing to pay big $ for a pack so they make a new model each year and those same people buy a new one every year and get rid of the old one. Lots on e-bay.

I'm no expert but the CC was the "in" pack about 4-5 years ago. Probably pick one up pretty reasonable now.

I absolutely love my gen2 Metcalf. I used it for a 9 day trip into the Rubies.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back