Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Mystery Ranch Pintler with lid daypack

blacksheep

I have been debating on upgrading to a metcalf form the pintler that I have used for several seasons now. This fall our group wants to hike in the day before season and camp close to where we intend to hunt. Our hike in is only about a mile and a half, but we gain 1,000 feet in that mile and a half. That sucks!! So if would need to carry everything for camping and hunting. Not strong suit for a pintler. I needed more room. Plain and simple. I saw the day pack lid on the website and ordered one and a set of accessory straps. TA DA! My Pintler now had a lid! That increased the volume of my pack by 700 cu in. or by about 25%. All it took was a couple of accessory straps. When I don't need the extra storage, 4 buckles and its off. One other thing. When I bought my pintler, I saw that the waist buckle look like a point of failure. So I replaced it with a cobra style aluminum buckle.

blacksheep

Literally did the same thing. My buddy bought a Marshall and sold me the day lid. Love my Pintler. Packed two moose out last year with it, tough as nails.

I'm going to figure out my size tonight and order one soon. I'm assuming they will be on sale somewhere for Memorial Day.

What will you be hunting for? I think the Pinter with a lid and drybag is plenty unless you are planning to go in for more than 5ish days. Personally, I would not put the drybag on the load shelf, I would strap it down under the lid. I am guessing what you will have in there will be lighter weight stuff (sleeping bag, tent, freeze dried food), and the heavier stuff will be in the pack; which you will want to keep closer to your back. YMMV....

I believe all MR stuff is on sale right now. Just picked up a Marshall for $450 at GoHunt

What will you be hunting for? I think the Pinter with a lid and drybag is plenty unless you are planning to go in for more than 5ish days. Personally, I would not put the drybag on the load shelf, I would strap it down under the lid. I am guessing what you will have in there will be lighter weight stuff (sleeping bag, tent, freeze dried food), and the heavier stuff will be in the pack; which you will want to keep closer to your back. YMMV....
1st season elk. The pintler is a great pack, I just needed more room and I didn't want to but another pack. All of the stuff for camp, food, water and extra clothes. I'm sure that it'll all work out. Just wanted more room without the expense of a new pack.

blacksheep

Got it. I’m new to these mountain thingies.

PS. HIIT and box step ups with a pack. You’re welcome.
Already on the bike getting 30+ minutes of good cardio. I'm going to start the weighted pack in July or August. Gotta work on the legs, back and core also.

blacksheep

I have the Pintler and love it, except mine doesn’t have the mole tabs on the belt so my water bottle holder is always flopping around and it gets annoying after a while

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back