Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Horses in elk country

Horses definitely add work but it is undeniable there is some country out there you can't hunt on foot especially if packing out an elk is involved.
And there are plenty of places a horse can't go! If a horse can't get an elk out of there, an idiot with a backpack has no business hunting the area.

I had a ex barrel/ranch horse when younger and he was good on trails, crossing water, etc but would flip out if the saddle slipped any, and had way too much speed. A older gentleman told me that a good trail horse didn’t need to be fast, and nothing more than a walk, but shouldnt let much bother him.

I’ve trained my two fillies to drag a sled which will be helpful in retrieving a 1/4 elk/deer in snow country and not anything very steep. And it seems to help desensitizing to having rope’s wrapped around their backs. A horse can move a lot more weight than carrying a 150-185 lbs.

As far as packing out elk/deer not many people are tough enough mentally or physically to pack out an elk over 2- 3 miles, I’m definitely not. With warm temperatures spoilage is a big issue. I absolutely hate backpacks 9E3A51DD-549A-4BEC-A46F-D70141B1B9BF.jpeg

0C64113C-3014-4021-A8E4-A00A6E3CAD78.jpeg

I had an older gelding that was broke to drag years ago and it came in handy occasionally. This was my son's first elk. It was a couple of miles in on an old logging road. Rusty the appaloosa would notice the extra drag when someone got on the elk, and he would stop and look back with obvious disapproval.
1694813887319.png

I had an older gelding that was broke to drag years ago and it came in handy occasionally. This was my son's first elk. It was a couple of miles in on an old logging road. Rusty the appaloosa would notice the extra drag when someone got on the elk, and he would stop and look back with obvious disapproval.
That is a pretty horse

View attachment 292552
That's awesome!

The best horse is a borrowed one. mtmuley
I have always had a few standing offers that if I needed a horse to just come grab one. I did so a bunch of times before getting my own. I finally decided to get my own because much like borrowing a truck or wife the owner is bound to get tired of it at some point its just better to get your own.

I have always had a few standing offers that if I needed a horse to just come grab one. I did so a bunch of times before getting my own. I finally decided to get my own because much like borrowing a truck or wife the owner is bound to get tired of it at some point its just better to get your own.
We had horses as I grew up. Usually at least 2 as many as 6. It was a lot easier to like them when my Dad was footing the bill. We used them and used them a lot. If you don't, they are just an expensive pet. mtmuley

I'm hoping to start a thread where you horse savvy elk hunters will give tips and tricks to using horses for hunting elk.

I've had a crash course in using horses in the backcountry this year and I know I'm not being as efficient or effective as I could be.

We've had a few wrecks and a few things a pro probably could have avoided easily, but like they say, experience is what you get right after you need it!

How do you guys make it worth it to take stock with you? I know they make more work and there is no way around that, but how do you do it effectively.

Are you hunting from the back of your ride or are you just using them to pack in and hunting from foot?

Do you pack in the whole deal, (canvas tent, stove, real food, bedroles) or do you pack light like you are back packing?

Do you prefer a highline, or picket, or electric fence? Hobbles? We have been highlining two while leaving the third loose, and rotating them. Is that a big risk? Or can you rely on the third horse to stick around always?

Is there always a wreck when dealing with horses? Or does it ever go smoothly?!?!

Do any of you use burros or mules? Do you ride them or just walk them while they carry all the gear?

I dont expect all my questions to cover everything, im really just looking for your collective wisdom on everything that is involved in using stock in the backcountry.

yes the horses are in the care of someone who is experienced with horses and has the means to do it, im fairly experienced in the back country but we have had a few hard lessons trying to bring our capabilities together for this purpose.

Also the more pics the better!

thanks in advance!!View attachment 291032
To answer a few I pack what I need if it's a long stay with canvas tent and stove it takes an extra horse or a second trip. No there's not always a wreck it actually doesn't happen very often at all. You just need more experience for you and your stock. I use the horses to get camp in and out sometimes I will ride em out on the dark a few miles and tie them up for the day. All my hunting is done on foot and I try to keep em at least a quarter mile away from where I expect to start hunting. Again experience and time will help here. Same for packing game out and no matter what some may say it takes 2 horses to pack a quartered bull elk.

Not a pack in trip, but I finally got to do some hunting from horseback after a few trips didn't pan out, got one more big hunt planned.
Ive realized that a day of riding can beat you up just as badly as a day of walking.
20231007_100133.jpg

We had horses as I grew up. Usually at least 2 as many as 6. It was a lot easier to like them when my Dad was footing the bill. We used them and used them a lot. If you don't, they are just an expensive pet. mtmuley
I had a few too many beers at RMEF banquet many years ago and bought a great paint to add to my fathers herd of horses. Boy did I get my ass chewed when my dad found out I bought this horse. The first words were no way --sell it if you can and I don't want another horse. Eventually he calmed down and told me if I wealthy enough to buy a horse, I can certainly pay my share.
Little did I know how much money I was going to spend.
Shots/shoes/feed/tack etc.
When he told me the cost to get the horse trimmed, I laughed and said I will save the $80 and trim my own and will now help you out and trim the rest of the horses so I don't have pay for feed. He laughed so hard and went to get a stool and the tools to start trimming the horses. A hour of so later I cried uncle and only had 2 hooves trimmed on my horse and laughed even harder and said too bad - Now you WILL trim the other 2 hooves before you go home.

Long story shortened the horse worked out great and pocket book was lightened to pay for all of the costs I never knew about regarding horse ownership.

As expensive as it is to rent horses, it is far more expensive to own them.

I used to work as a ranch hand on a dude ranch doing overnight and packing people in for camping trips.

I could usually handle the horses and mules… now getting the people to ride the horse without an issue was a different story.

If I really didn’t like someone I buy and give them two horse🤣.

Doing some practice runs with rex here, we picked him up a few months ago, not much appears to bother him, i plan to get leather latigos and keep adjusting the saddle, any tips would be appreciated!! Or if you see anything that looks just wrong

20231013_144137.jpg20231013_151349.jpg20231013_145810.jpg

I've been using my horses for elk hunting for a good while now. It does take planning to make it flow smoothly. I have not packed in a camp, choosing to camp at either dispersed camping spots or forest service campgrounds that allow horses. In either case, I find a way to provide the horses free access to water. That involves a fair amount of work, which my brother does.:cool: A horse does not always drink, even if thirsty when led to water. I have never had a horse colic, and hope to keep it that way. Also, I bring salt, so that their electrolytes do not get out of whack. When I camp at a dispersed site, I picket the horses, since they are very used to that from when I field trial. That allows them to walk around, and graze a little. I high line them when we get to a spot we want to hunt from foot.

We generally hunt areas with robust Grizzly bear numbers. I tie rolled up saddle panniers to each horse, so that if we kill and elk, we can get it out the same day. We load a half an elk on each horse and lead them out.

You do have to find an area that having horses actually provides an advantage. Many areas do not have enough remote country to give any real advantage compared to foot hunters. Some areas are also so steep, rocky, etc, that a horse is essentially limited to trails.

The more you use and ride your horses, the less likely it is that you will have a large wreck. Mine get ridden a lot and so far we have not had a wreck, but there always is a chance of one. It is not fair to a horse to rarely ride it, and show up to an elk hunt with a horse that is not in shape, expecting it to put in long days in the mountains.

At 72 years old, my elk hunting would be done without my horses. I'll keep doing it until the work outweighs the fun. Then I'll likely trail ride in nicer weather.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back