Caribou Gear

Helicopter Landing in the Bob Marshall Wilderness

One point is getting missed here. It's illegal to land a helicopter ANYWHERE on USFS land without a good reason and OK from the local ranger. The fact they were in America's flagship wilderness makes this worse, but their apology/excuse is horseshit. IT does't matter if they got lost and landed in the wilderness. It's an aggravating factor, but it's not the only law they broke. They landed in a Wild and Scenic River and on public land simply to fish. They may be very nice people but they are arrogant, entitled jerks who think they can cut to the front of the line because they're rich enough to own a helicopter. Wilderness or not, that is the issue.

This all reminds me of the time many years ago when racing legend Bobby Unser was ticketed for snowmobiling in a Wilderness area. If I remember the story correctly, though, he and a friend got caught up in a whiteout blizzard and got completely lost and stuck. They ended up spending the night in a snow cave and hiked out the next day - several miles in deep snow. They went into the FS office later to get some assistance in locating/retrieving the snowmobiles and were given a ticket on the spot. Very different from intentionally landing a helo on a nice sunny day next to a trout stream though!

One point is getting missed here. It's illegal to land a helicopter ANYWHERE on USFS land without a good reason and OK from the local ranger.

False. Aircraft have an exemption for Forest service lands in the CFR. Designated wilderness is where aircraft do not have an exemption. Unless someone can find something outside of the CFR to cite.

I do think they were knowingly or willfully ignorant in violation though.

So I just sent this to the big guy at the US Dept. of Ag. Please feel free to copy and paste and resend if you'd like to see justice done.

To the Director of The Department of Agriculture.
Sir. It has recently come to my attention that a couple flew a helicopter deep inside the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area and deliberately and willfully landed upon the banks of the South Fork of the Flathead River to do some spring trout fishing. Clearly this act is a Federal Felony if not many committed by the pilot who I believe is named Sara Schwerin. The tail number of the Bell helicopter is N263CH which is reportedly owned by WOS Holdings of Belgrade, Mt. I personally want to see all relevant charges made against this person and any other co-pilots or willing passengers involved in this egregious crime against the Wilderness Act and the People of the US. Please notify the FAA about this event for follow-up and charges to be filed by them as well. If the rules and Laws of Wilderness are not enforced as established then there is no point in the Wilderness at all. Please be so kind to keep me informed of the progress of your investigation into this Felony(s). Apparently there are also 2 eyewitnesses to this crime.
Respectfully:

Easy way to reach Sonny, the Director.

I wish you guys would get this worked up over the rich asshats stealing your public lands for private gain through noncompetitive oil and gas leasing as you do this kind of stuff.
I'll definitely join in on THAT dogpile too!!!

Ironic isn't it that the onX add is on this particular thread. To the owner of this site. Please consider cutting ties with onX for this.

Ironic isn't it that the onX add is on this particular thread. To the owner of this site. Please consider cutting ties with onX for this.
Because an investor did something you disagree with.... looks like you should probably go off grid and live on a homestead. They are definitely in the wrong but to shun a company for what an investor did Is ridiculous. They weren’t the owners of onx.

Back