Bulls in the long grass..

havgunwilltravel

It's always a great adventure to get up in northern Australia and hunt dangerous game and a few mates and i have just finished a self guided hunt in some incredible country. We were very lucky to have a couple of local lads assist with locations and access and without them it wouldn't have gone so smoothly.
There is so much to tell from the ten day hunt where we crammed as much in as possible, but i will go over a few of the more interesting encounters and pictures.
After landing we grabbed the hire car and raced/roared/sped our way into the wilderness and this time of the year the locals start lighting fires all over the country to burn off the grass and promote green pick/growth for the animals to feed on. It's an eery but cool sight to see many fires burning in the night, sometimes the horizon is loaded up as far as you can see with flames.

We had the use of a couple of Canam's and a quad to cover country in and we encountered many different species of wildlife, both native and introduced. This young pup dingo gave us a good chase before we managed to get ahold of him.

In parts of the buffalo country there is frantic buffalo catching going in many places as a massive order for live export has been placed by the indonesians and this will surely impact numbers of male buffalo in some locations. We took part in a mornings buffalo capture using a helicopter, a few 4wd's and a big truck, to say it was hectic and exciting with a touch of danger was putting it mildly. As a result, it took a lot of effort to find bulls on the hunt, but we were happy to walk away from the younger type animals in the hope a few get through and make it to maturity.

A mate had travelled a long way to join us and we were happy for him to shoot a few critters at every opportunity and after looking over a few animals he took this big old bull. It was an exciting stalk and an excellent shot in difficult circumstances that put this bull down but as we got close he got back up and tried to charge us, but the boys had rifles ready and we managed to escape unscathed with him falling less then 10 metres away.

There were many great sites along the way, from the rock formations, to escarpments, to a huge range of reptiles and birds. This is a bower bird nest, they are collectors of anything that takes their fancy, they do this to entice females into their site. I heard a story in the diamond region of northern western australia a local guy stumbled onto a bower bird nest that had a habit of collect diamonds from lake argyle and taking them back to his nest. This local kept it quiet and regularly visited the nesting site to make a fortune out of the hard work and keen eye of this interesting bird. Unfortunately there were no diamonds in the region we hunted and old shells was the best we could turn up in the many nests we looked at.

Scrub bulls, (wild cattle) are often encountered and we seen a few of these on the first part of the hunt. Due to a delay with our rifles (airport mistake) we had to use our local mates guns and the .7mm mag and .308win were slightly under gunned for the buff and bulls. But we got it done, always following up with solid shot placement after our initial shots and we made sure to try to place the first shot inline with the back leg of most of the big animals, where possible and get one through the ribs into the lungs. It worked and of the many animals we shot, we never lost an animal with these smaller calibre's, close calls were had, but it all worked out. This massive scrub bull fell to a single shot from the borrowed .7mm mag as he stood in the shade of a tree out on a grassy plain, we had seen him that morning, but were looking for a big bull buff and had left him alone. The meat was taken and the locals said that young buffalo was much better table fare.

One afternoon we took the buggy for a massive drive into remote country, seeing a few buffalo and boars. My mate was up to shoot and when we found this big old bull we snuck in closer and got it done. He was very happy and we were excited to have him at our feet after a long stalk.

We were many miles from the homestead, but kept hunting until dark incase we found another big bull, but he was the best we located that day.

Being so hot it was lucky we had a couple of cold beers in the back in the cooler and we really enjoyed these to quench our thirst after a big day in the heat.

The hunting vehicle we had for a few days, was a good machine, took a lot of knocks and bumps but came through ok without any major damage.

One morning we did a big drive in the buggy pushing 110kms, seeing a few animals and exploring but we failed to fire a shot, it didn't matter though as in this country, you just never know what is around the corner. This big bull was found shot by the locals, nothing taken, his horns were quite good and would have been a great bull if harvested by somebody who was interested in taking them.

We assumed he was just shot for a pig bait as there was a worn car track heading down to his location and after a bit of looking around we found a dead boar, he had been there a while and had a massive set of hooks on him, they type we try hard to find. We took the skull and tusks, but unfortunately the boar had been there a bit long in the sun and the tusks cracked as we tried to pull them from the jaw.

Mate back at the station homestead sitting in the bull catcher with his buff on the front. If these vehicles could talk they would tell a wonderful tale. We had see some go pro footage off the front of the vehicles in action and it made for exciting viewing.

River Trip
The second half of our hunt involved a remote long range trip along a river where we lived off the land for 4 nights, catching barramundi and cherapin (freshwater prawns) for dinner, other times eating backstraps off the buffalo and boars we shot and generally being self sufficient with only the bare essentials. It was the grandest of adventures we could of undertaken and truly an unforgettable experience.
One of the lads shot this monster scrub bull and he was a huge specimen.

Pigs were often encountered, sometimes in big numbers, but we were very selective with what we shot, we didn't want to disturb the area just to shoot a pig, if it wasn't a big old boar we weren't firing a shot as there was always the chance of big buffalo or scrub bulls nearby.

We hunted many waterholes and creek systems, the wildlife was in big numbers in these locations due to the dry season and often the ducks were in their thousands. These Burdekin ducks mate for life and always put on an interesting display.

I shot this scrub bull with wide horns one morning and we took as much meat as we could for our meals.

That afternoon i was alone walking a big loop following a dusty buffalo trail when i came upon a remote waterhole and snuck in on sunset. This buffalo was wallowing in the cooling waters and with a couple of days left i took him with the .30/06. Barnes 180gr tsx worked well on the lung shots and he was down in a short space of time.

We walked back into my bull next morning and sunrise to remove the horns and some meat and when we got to the waterhole a larger bull was seen walking to the water for his morning wallow and drink. My mate thought he looked good and took him with a shot to the head at 70 metres, it made for great video footage.
His .300 had a bit more power then the lesser calibre's we had used on the first part of the hunt. Our Lamellar clothing we wore in the heat was superb and i could imagine it would work really well in the drier western states on early season hunts.

That day we found a nice shallow spot, and took a quick 5 minutes for a swim and cool down, it became a regular ritual for us to do so whenever we found safe spots, but we were always keeping a close eye out for crocodiles and we were seeing them on an hourly basis.

We came across interesting flora at times and these seeds offered a good visual display to the sometimes drab habitat.

The last afternoon rolled around quite quickly, and we had taken many animals over the last week and a bit and a couple of mates and i walked into a remote waterhole where were tripping over pigs and buff. But the buff were either young or females and the pigs younger animals. We kept covering ground knowing it was only a matter of time and rounding a bed in the creek we were following this big old bull launched out of the shade of a couple of trees and paused to look back at 80metres. A quick look confirmed heavy wide horns and 3 shots with the every reliable sako 75 in .30/06 put him down for good.

He was a massive bodied bull with plenty of age and his horns were broomed on both sides and had plenty of weight at the bases. Just the sought of bull i had spent the past week 7 days trying to find. To shoot him in good company with a couple of mates watching on made it all the more special and we spent plenty of time taking pictures.

Last night in camp was a great chance to unwind, cook a feed and talk about the memories that the last few days had created. Our lightweight fly camps under the stars were always a pleasure to sleep in, simple and effective and exposed to nature. We had nights where the fruit bats kept us awake feasting on the flowers in the trees above, nights where buffalo and boars walked past disturbing the leaf litter grunting and snuffling, nights where the barramundi terrorising small fish on the surface could be heard from hundreds of meters away and nights where moon and stars shone so brightly above we all just lay there and took in the visual extravaganza.

With the trip finished and airline connections made we all made it to our respective homes, but we simply couldn't stop talking about our time along the river and the journey we had undertaken. We all took a wide range of big mature animals, but in the end we realised it wasn't just the buffalo, bulls, boars or croc encounters we were seeking, we were pursuing and craving the simple life and existence of being self sufficient and hunting in a very remote location with no communications, electricity or other human contact, it was the type of experience we simply can not do only once.

Last edited:
what a great adventure! thanks for sharing with us, I love reading stories like these especially with good pics

Nice write up. Thanks for taking us along.

Wow, what a hunt and a great story to go with it. Thanks for posting here. That ought to get everyone fired up to hunt your fine land.

Great story and pictures, thanks for sharing your adventure down under with us!

Very Cool. Congrats on all of your fine trophies. Thanks for taking the time to post up your adventure.

Amazing story and photos. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. Few things in life are better then being in wild places, hunting with good friends. Looks like this trip had it all. Thanks for taking us along on your hunt.

I always look forward to your photos and stories, very enjoyable to read!

Back