HB 243 - Mandatory In-Person Field Day for Hunters Ed

I just posted one article to make the point. You said you were baffled.
The argument can be made that PE should not be mandatory. Look at US obesity rates and say "It's not working, so make it elective". Hell, math isn't working either, so make that elective.

Conclusion, the things that should be mandatory outnumber the number of hours in the day. That will be the headwind for making gun safety a class in schools. And I don't want parents determining what is and isn't mandatory as the curse of the majority just imparts their biases on what kids learn and don't learn. I do agree it should be called "gun safety" and not "hunter ed". Someone will have to make an argument to me to change my mind.
Sorry I hit a nerve with music class I'm sure you played a mean flute in band camp.

Having to go to kids music concerts has the same effect. Try desitin cream.
Side note, I am struggling with paradox that many states allow almost anybody with a pulse to buy a gun but want to require the in-person attendance of a class to shoot at a bird. Something seems off.

Side note, I am struggling with paradox that many states allow almost anybody with a pulse to buy a gun but want to require the in-person attendance of a class to shoot at a bird. Something seems off.
Apples n oranges. Topic for a different thread, just like high school music curriculum 😉

What might end up "off" is somebodies head....which may be avoided via hunters education taught hands on in the classroom and field day.

When I took it in 1978 it was in person and we handled all sorts of firearms in the classroom and field. Different action types, safeties, shotguns, muzzleloader, pistols, etc.

You can't teach that online...if I lived in Montana I would support this bill heavily.

What might end up "off" is somebodies head....which may be avoided via hunters education taught hands on in the classroom and field day.

When I took it in 1978 it was in person and we handled all sorts of firearms in the classroom and field. Different action types, safeties, shotguns, muzzleloader, pistols, etc.

You can't teach that online...if I lived in Montana I would support this bill heavily.
I think we all agree in-person is far and away better. I took it in-person, I will want my kids to take it in-person.

but if there isn't a class to take... then folks going to pick easy over a 90+ min drive EVERY. SINGLE. TIME

Really all this law is saying is MTFWP will no longer offer an online course via IHEA, but numerous other states offer courses on IHEA and MTFWP accepts those courses.

This laws literally does nothing. I'm sorry Ben if it feel like I'm picking at your bill but there is a glaring problem here that needs addressing.

Entire bill negated by a single mouse click.

1675023068852.png

Sure. I generally support the idea of safety. I have taken hunter safety in multiple states and on-line last year. That said, I think there should be a safety class for anyone to be able to buy a firearm.

I think we all agree in-person is far and away better. I took it in-person, I will want my kids to take it in-person.

but if there isn't a class to take... then folks going to pick easy over a 90+ min drive EVERY. SINGLE. TIME

Really all this law is saying is MTFWP will no longer offer an online course via IHEA, but numerous other states offer courses on IHEA and MTFWP accepts those courses.

This laws literally does nothing. I'm sorry Ben if it feel like I'm picking at your bill but there is a glaring problem here that needs addressing.

Entire bill negated by a single mouse click.

View attachment 262738
Dont accept another states hunter safety...amend the bill.

Dont accept another states hunter safety...amend the bill.
So no non-resident hunting?

Good luck with that.

How about fix the problem, the problem is that their aren't courses available that meet the needs of Montana residents.

How about provide courses. There are never Region three courses, it was a problem the entire time I lived in MT... then today out of curiosity I checked and looked... yep zero courses in Bozeman.

Hell add mandatory quarterly seats to the bill and make Wardens teach the courses if they can't get instructors.

So no non-resident hunting?

Good luck with that.
Only accept another states hunter safety if there was a field day.

This online crap has to stop...or just drop hunters safety all together.

Online is worthless in particular with helicopter parents.

There's just ZERO commitment and nobody wants to be inconvenienced.

It's a joke.

Only accept another states hunter safety if there was a field day.

This online crap has to stop...or just drop hunters safety all together.

Online is worthless in particular with helicopter parents.

It's a joke.
There isn't a single Hunters Ed course in Bozeman... that's a joke.

Isn't Bozeman like the western capital of hunting what are Rinella/Newberg doing next weekend... seriously though how is there not a single course this spring?

I agree with you 100% about online courses, I disagree with you about how we fix it.

Folks will always follow the path of least resistance, often well intentioned laws have unfortunate side effects when people don't contemplate why certain behaviors are occurring.

Having it taught in schools is a great solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isn't Bozeman like the western capital of hunting what are Rinella/Newberg doing next weekend... seriously though how is there not a single course this spring?

I agree with you 100% about online courses, I disagree with you about how we fix it.
Funny, but I think the Master Hunter program is in Bozeman, but it targets completely different demographic.

I agree, the logics of the in-person class in Montana is going to hurt NRs. Maybe that was the intent behind its acceptance? I don't know how the average 30yr old hunter from east of the Mississippi easy statisfies the requirement unless they can do the class in their own state. I can see the average R have some difficulty. Maybe every guide spends the the clients' first day in camp doing the class. :ROFLMAO: It really should be done at every FWP office a couple times each year. Hopefully that is what they intend by "ramping up".

Folks will always follow the path of least resistance, often well intentioned laws have unfortunate side effects when people don't contemplate why certain behaviors are occurring.

Having it taught in schools is a great solution.
Will there be firearms allowed in the classrooms for students to handle?

Path of least resistance you're correct about, why I oppose online courses where parents take the course for their kids.

I disagree with those that feel the whole class should be in person. I took hunters ed in CO which offers an internet based class, with an in-person conclusion class, and a few hours at the range to do hands on gun safety, and shooting.

I understand most people might not be like me, but as an adult onset hunter, with zero prior knowledge and experience, I took my time with the internet material. I did a chapter or two a night over the course of a week. If I got a question wrong in the end-of-chapter quiz, I took the opportunity to review it. You would have thought I was studying for the bar! 🤣

The in-person conclusion class was a great opportunity to review and ask specific questions.

If I had to ingest all of the material over two 8-hour days I would not have absorbed much.

In retrospect the material is very basic, and there was no way in hell that I was ready to hunt at the end of it. At the time it was still very valuable to me.

I assume most hunter ed classes are pretty similar. If I had additional improvements to offer, I’d say make the material and test harder, maybe offer what-if scenarios that have a specific right answer.

I started with almost no knowledge and aced the exam. That does not seem right.

Will there be firearms allowed in the classrooms for students to handle?

Path of least resistance you're correct about, why I oppose online courses where parents take the course for their kids.
When was the last time you went to a course... they use fake guns in the class room portions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back