Haul ass in Texas

CJ...$

Texas House Approves 85 MPH Speed Limit

Published Apr 8, 2011

The Texas House has passed a measure that would allow the state's Department of Transportation to establish a speed limit not to exceed 85 mph on designated lanes or entire stretches of the state highway system.

If approved, the new 85-mph limit would be the highest in the U.S.
One opponent observed that "the two things that kill most people on our highways are speed and alcohol."

AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas House has passed a measure that would allow the state's Department of Transportation to establish a speed limit of up to 85 mph on designated lanes or entire stretches of the state highway system. The Texas Senate is considering a similar proposal.

If approved, the new 85-mph limit would be the highest in the U.S., according to Reuters, which noted that Texas and Utah are the only two states currently with posted limits of 80 mph on remote stretches of the interstate.

The Associated Press quoted Representative Lois Kolkhorst, who introduced the bill, as saying: "They have high-speed roadways in Europe, and there could be some merit in having some of those highways in Texas. Given the right engineering, we should consider it."

Jerry Johns, of the Southwest Insurance Information Institute, told the AP the proposed 85-mph speed limit in Texas would be a bad idea: "Obviously, the two things that kill most people on our highways are speed and alcohol. Increasing it to 85, or even 75, will have a dramatic impact on the death and injury rate on those highways where it's implemented."

With gas at $4 a gallon it makes sense to waste it that much faster...

Will anyone really miss a few Texans? :D

What she fails to mention or even comprehend is that those same European countries require that you attend a lengthy and expensive driver's training course, not some trumped up attempt to teach the cursory rules of driving to a 15 year old by a highschool coach looking to score a few extra bucks, and he's most likely a piss poor driver himself. Either that or from a parent who has the kid terrified as hell AND is a piss poor driver as well. In these same countries, it is a strict requirement that slower traffic runs in the slow lane unless passing a slower car, and ALL traffic returns to the slow lane or the lane that best suits it's speed on roads with more than two lanes in the same direction. Can you imagine that concept working here? We do have laws dictating such driving rules, but they have to be enforced and punished in the courts to get them to work. I've driven in eight countries in both hemispheres and the only one which has produced worse drivers than the US is Mexico.

Wasn't there a section in Montana...east of Flathead lake.. that had "NO" speed limit [ late 70's]... I remember a Blurr of cherry tree's...we were in a 1970 roadrunner..

Montana had "reasonable and prudent" for a few years...I like a posted speed limit. I by far get the best gas mileage going around 65. I'm also a lot less likely to run into something...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back