Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hats off to the guys that shoot big bulls

Here is my take on score. The B&C scoring system attempts to normalize antler size across the entire range of Rocky Mountain elk. It is a relatively simple system that does a relatively good job of measuring most elk, but does have its flaws. For example, a bull with really thick tines garners no more points than a bull with thin tines.

Across the elk range, there are areas with better conditions for growing big racks....so a 250 bull in one area is not always comparable to a 250 bull in another area. Same can be said over time. A 250 bull from 20 years ago in one area may not be comparable to a 250 bull in the same area now.

What I don't like about scoring elk or deer or whatever is that people can only shoot what is in front of them and when they get home and score it, sometimes they may feel it scores lower than they expected and they feel bad. You should never feel bad about the score of a bull! I would love to see the internet full of people smiling about their bulls and no scores. Just my .02!
Im inclined to agree on B&C / SCI. Im not saying the European CIC scoring method is perfect but it does take into account more aspects of the antlers such as weight, condition of tips, points deducted for imperfections, etc

Great bull. Responding to your request, I measured this one about 248 SCI with limited knowledge of measuring. Not sure the differences in scoring methods and don't care enough yet to research it. Still having fun chasing every elk i see. Its all about the people you are with and the experiences you have while in the field that make the hunt what it is. After i get home and the adrenalin has had time to fade then i get curious and i measure the critters that i take but when i see them on the hoof I am more asking the question, "is that my animal?" "is it time to shoot and end the hunt?" The bigger the critter is just icing on the cake but doesn't affect the thrill of the chase in any way. Good job and go get another next year.

Attachments

• 2016-11-28 10.38.06.jpg
    2016-11-28 10.38.06.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
I tried B&C's score calculator and somehow came up with over 200 on this bull. For a fee, I will provide equally exaggerated scores for your bull too. IMG_20201117_185318.jpg

I'll add my first and only bull from NV. It has a net score of 331 5/8 BC. I had it scored because at the time it was the only bull that myself and all my friends had ever seen up close. This was in 1996.
Perhaps I'll draw one more bull tag in NV before I'm too old to make good on the tag.

DSCN0411.JPGDSCN0412.JPG

Goddamn most every elk is a chore to locate, kill ‘em good and dead, then get back out of the woods while maintaining meat cooling measures. I don’t give a damn if the OP dropped a barely legal or a 500 point, it’s probably the hardest won steak you’ll ever enjoy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back