Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Hats off to the guys that shoot big bulls

jharcourt8

So I shot my first elk this year a cow and my first shot her first elk a bull. Not huge but a 5 point. I was curious how it would stack up so measured for future judging of bulls. I came up with 213. Dam boys and I feel its a nice bull I guessed like 250 at least haha way off unless I measured wrong. 250 is a big bull in my eyes then 300 class must be huge 350? You guys are killing it. Anyone have pics of 250 260 class bulls? imagejpeg_1.jpgScreenshot_20201108-162337_Messages.jpg

Its perfect. Who cares about score. I have private land and get LOP tags for bull or cows. I only pull cow tags. And I have 340” plus bulls on my property. I have shot several over 300” and several under. They all tasted just like cows only tougher, and a bitch to pack out. Any elk is a good elk.

Here is my take on score. The B&C scoring system attempts to normalize antler size across the entire range of Rocky Mountain elk. It is a relatively simple system that does a relatively good job of measuring most elk, but does have its flaws. For example, a bull with really thick tines garners no more points than a bull with thin tines.

Across the elk range, there are areas with better conditions for growing big racks....so a 250 bull in one area is not always comparable to a 250 bull in another area. Same can be said over time. A 250 bull from 20 years ago in one area may not be comparable to a 250 bull in the same area now.

What I don't like about scoring elk or deer or whatever is that people can only shoot what is in front of them and when they get home and score it, sometimes they may feel it scores lower than they expected and they feel bad. You should never feel bad about the score of a bull! I would love to see the internet full of people smiling about their bulls and no scores. Just my .02!

How many angry PMs have you received about that 213 score? I mean clearly that bull is 212 1/8 and your a no good liar :rolleyes:

The trolls of the forum love nothing better than harassing women members for being... well...women who are members of a hunting forum, and giving everyone a hard time about measuring their animals.

Seriously, bigfin could accidentally shoot his llama and get less grief than if he was 10inches off ball parking a pronghorn.

I have PMs from several members about scores on Pronghorn, Mule Deer, Bears, Elk... but it's totally fine to say your mule deer weighed 300lbs. Pretty sure saying you put 200lbs on a llamas is way more problematic than saying a bull scored 280 when it scored 275. Also lets be honest the BC scoring is some stupid redneck "mathin" the fact that world record animals are scored by multiple people demonstrates that the process is subjective not objective.

I'm going to say it, reaction score be damned, if you PM someone NO MATTER HOW YOU PHRASE IT, about the score they post for their animal you are an A-hole.

How many angry PMs have you received about that 213 score? I mean clearly that bull is 212 1/8 and your a no good liar :rolleyes:

The trolls of the forum love nothing better than harassing women members for being... well...women who are members of a hunting forum, and giving everyone a hard time about measuring their animals.

Seriously, bigfin could accidentally shoot his llama and get less grief than if he was 10inches off ball parking a pronghorn.

I have PMs from several members about scores on Pronghorn, Mule Deer, Bears, Elk... but it's totally fine to say your mule deer weighed 300lbs. Pretty sure saying you put 200lbs on a llamas is way more problematic than saying a bull scored 280 when it scored 275. Also lets be honest the BC scoring is some stupid redneck "mathin" the fact that world record animals are scored by multiple people demonstrates that the process is subjective not objective.

I'm going to say it, reaction score be damned, if you PM someone NO MATTER HOW YOU PHRASE IT, about the score they post for their animal you are an A-hole.
Wow, ok.
I don't mind at all if someone asks about score but that's just me. The animal grew the antlers , not myself and I don't mind paying homage to it if they are large antlers. It's not all about bragging..
Some ask about score for a learning lesson, not to put you in your place, but sorry that has been your experience.

Wow, ok.
I don't mind at all if someone asks about score but that's just me. The animal grew the antlers , not myself and I don't mind paying homage to it if they are large antlers. It's not all about bragging..
Some ask about score for a learning lesson, not to put you in your place, but sorry that has been your experience.
Asking the score, 100% fine.

A member posting a pic a bull and saying, really happy about this bull I measured it 213, and then someone PMing the poster, or replying on the thread and saying, "Yeah saw your post, so here's a pic of an actual 213 bull, clearly it's bigger so your bull is probably only 205." 🖕

So, when did he get some llamas? I thought that was still in the works, maybe.

I wasn’t aware of such trolls - I agree with that.

And to the OP - great bull. And that’s all I have to say about that.

Last edited:
I have PMs from several members about scores on Pronghorn, Mule Deer, Bears, Elk... but it's totally fine to say your mule deer weighed 300lbs.
It’s disappointing that people would do that, but I honestly can’t say that I’m surprised... I get pretty frustrated with scores and people’s reactions from time to time as well.
The trolls of the forum love nothing better than harassing women members for being... well...women who are members of a hunting forum
This is even more disappointing, and unfortunately I’m not surprised at all.

@jharcourt8 that is an awesome first bull that's going to be a cool mount, what are you thinking?
This one is 242-ish gross, if the passenger side mirrored the drivers side it would have been right at 250. 6x6
1605628898030.png

This bull is 280-ish we just measured one side, then took a WAG at how much smaller the other was..

1605629063147.png

The bull on the left is a 5x4 and narrower than the one your wife shot... maybe scores 190, the bull on the left had it's tines rebuilt, as rebuilt lets call it 290, it's a 5x5, if it had a G5 on each side it would likely have been 300-310, though hard to say if the rebuilt tines were longer or shorter than the originals.

1605629168718.png

Honestly bulls larger than ~200 don't fit well in normal houses. My favorite mount and the only one in my house currently is a idk 170 bull I killed. Your wife's bull hopefully tastes awesome and honestly is the perfect size for the living room of any home.

1605629643783.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back