Yeti GOBOX Collection

Harvesting Wildlife

Then who voted to ban trapping and hound hunting in Washington? Honestly curious as if we don’t address who votes for ballot box biology then we WILL lose even more opportunities. And whoever it is whether it is other hunters that think trapping is cruel or lesbian vegans they BOTH need to be educated and at least supportive of extractive activities involving wildlife. Whether or not they participate is up to them, but I’d be lying if I said I want my draw odds to go down :)
I think there's a big disconnect between what people actual feel about an issue and how they end up voting based on the info they have. Most non-hunters/trappers don't view hunting and trapping the same. A lot of people only get one side of a story, or simply fall for the better told story, no matter what side it's on. It's not necessarily about being educated, it's about being connected to people who hunt and trap, being connected to wildlife professionals and how they management.

I know I try to read the voters pamphlet, then supplement it with additional media reporting. But it's not hard to see why people vote the way they do. My parents are both very pro hunting, pro guns, yet they voted for the WA gun proposal to prevent the "transfer" of firearms. When I asked why, they said because it closed this loophole at gun shows where criminals buy guns without background checks. Once I chatted with them a bit about that, then informed them of all the things they can't do, several of which they routinely do and will likely continue doing, they were very disappointed in their votes. Both felt like they were lied to. And likely where.

This is the same thing that happens on about any issue that doesn't make sense yet seems to have the majority. It's very hard to know everything about everything so people have to pick and they pick the better told story. For all the hunting stories we tell, we hunters appear to be crappy story tellers. IMO it's because we get too caught up in pointing fingers and laying blame than having open and honest discussions.

yes, your broad brush is a better shovel as you are digging a hell of a hole.

You just don't get it. You know, I bet the majority of hunters on this site live in cities, or at least have at one time. So attack the city-folk. Make it a them vs. us. Good plan. You vastly underestimate your adversary.

Meanwhile, you want to educate the unwashed. So, how do you feel if a lesbian, vegan, tenth-floor, city dweller comes up to you and says, "Mr. heterosexual, carnivorous, first-floor walk out, Farmer-Hunter, I want to educate YOU about Grizzly Bears?"

What are you thinking? What is your reaction? Yeah, right. You are beat before the first shot is fired.

I'm still trying to figure out what sexual orientation has to do with this. One of my best friends and hunting buddies has an older brother who is gay. That brother is probably a better elk hunter than the greater percentage of elk hunters across the US.

I don't harvest. I kill animals. I process them, and I eat them. I've had some great conversations with non-hunters over the years.

Edit: As an aside, some of the best conversations with non-hunters have revolved around the aspect of packing an animal out of the field and processing it on my kitchen counter. They find that fascinating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think 88 was just trying to provide a hyperbolic characterization of the most antagonistic person to debate. I think context matters, if you are at a rally there is no point... no one has ever been convinced in the situation. You might be able to say, hey I want to hear more about why you are out here protesting want to grab a beer and talk. In the context of hearing them out in a calm setting you might get them to understand that you are a reasonable person with just a different opinion rather than an evil monster.

You might be able to say, hey I want to hear more about why you are out here protesting want to grab a beer and talk. In the context of hearing them out in a calm setting you might get them to understand that you are a reasonable person with just a different opinion rather than an evil monster.

And you need to afford them the same opportunity as well. That means listening to a no-hunting opinion with the same willingness to be convinced of a new philosophy.

God is great beer is good people are crazy.!

Amen !

One might ask how does harvesting or as some prefer, killing wildlife, have anything to do with a prostate exam ? Tag soup and prostate exams, not high on the list of things they prefer------on the other hand, this thread veered a bit---so I could be wrong about that in some cases.

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to the thread and believe if you look at the membership total and those members that actually responded to the thread, it was a very small percentage of members that responded and my guess is at least one of the members who read this thread and did not respond, regardless of which side of the several disagreements the thread presented, said. They dont speak for me--ahh, the silent majority. I would guess those who reside in Kansas ( the center of our great nation ) are not in favor of eliminating the electoral college, but I could be wrong. But if we do, then the rest of the nation might have to live with a president elected by only those living on the east coast and west coast.

I noticed a few mentioned that they have never been confronted by an anti. And since I dont believe I can change any minds only speaking to people who already agree with me, I do engage and have spoken to a few and once you get past the emotion of the moment, they are all, for the most part, just like everybody else. Job, family, bills, and opinions. Some opinions can be changed with calm dialog or at the very least they leave with a different perspective about the issue.

I know of some who get to close, so to speak, or to emotionally involved to be as effective as they could be. I have a friend who traps and hunts and she has done extensive studies on different wildlife and finds that in the small rural towns the people are at least willing to listen, even if they disagree. But in the larger cities the anti's are very vocal, have access to money which allows them to print terrible pictures and go door to door with these pictures and asking them to vote against trapping and hunting and in some cases this is all some voters see before they vote on an issue. When thy try to hold rallies in the big cities, they get surrounded by counter protesters and many times people who have an open mind dont come or stay, as it gets dangerous and one feels uncomfortable. She is watching her way of life being taken away, piece by piece , and is being done so by those residing in the larger cities. ( news coverage, larger rallies, more money, and help from other "groups", some of these groups do join together to increase their numbers at rallies and protests ) Some, not all, have zero knowledge of the issue at hand unfortunately. I am sure it is uncomfortable for those who have first hand perspectives on the subject

kind iof like a prostate exam I would imagine, although I have no personal knowledge lol

Anyway, for the record, I dont ask people their political, religious or sexual preferences before I speak to them, but I do and will continue to explain our sport to all who will listen.

I did see a young ( probably mid 50's ) Italian man yesterday and I was hoping he was straight and enjoyed speaking to older women LOL

Last edited:
Wow! sounds like your out huntin'or fishin' or F'n around.Ha'Ha.
Old habits never die. 😎

I feel elated, fantastic, capital. But it drives me crazy when people say harvest like it's a bunch of corn or beets. I'm just into killing stuff and eating it.

mallardsx2 & wyomuleskinner well, it certainly wasn't my intent to create a thread, that "really annoyed you" by my use of the word Harvesting. Most I believe prefer your word and I myself have no problem with it. Apologizes

Wilm1313----lol, I like it

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back