Harvesting Wildlife

In our area the only time we hear the words kill or slaughter is from an animal rights activist

We ( men and women ) have always used the words, Harvest, wildlife management, or hunt. We have also said, we need to fill the freezer and will discuss which species we want to fill it with.

Possibly, in anger, if a Wolf has created a problem, but even then we usually say, find him and put him down, but have heard the word "kill" used as well in that instance.

I honestly dont believe I have ever heard anyone say, "lets go kill a _______" ( whatever animal they are wanting to hunt ).

I don’t like the term “what did you catch?” When referring to hunting.

Reading through Faulkner's "Big Woods", specifically "The Old People", I came across two quote that are particularly relevant to this thread. Both speaking of the boy on the day he killed his first deer as they wait for another one:
"Because he was just twelve then, and that morning something had happened to him: in less than a second he had ceased forever to be the child he was yesterday. Or perhaps that made no difference, perhaps even a city-bred man, let alone a child, could not have understood it; perhaps only a country-bred one could comprehend loving the life he spills. He began to shake again."

"But he could not stop the shaking. He did not try, because he knew it would go away when he needed the steadiness - had not Sam Fathers already consecrated and absolved him from weakness and regret too? - not from love and pity for all which lived and ran and then ceased to live in a second in the very midst of splendor and speed, but from weakness and regret."

First and foremost it’s a renewable resource if managed effectively. Secondly hunting/harvesting/killing which ever you prefer is just another part of life/history that I whole heartedly believe in. I was raised out in the remoteness of NE MT. Opening day of deer season we either had off or just didn’t go. In those days we raised dogs and bird hunted though. Now days big game is my passion.

I hunt/harvest for a full freezer of the best lean meat there is now days. Along with that is the great thrill of seeing new country in different areas of Idaho, Wyoming, and Nevada. These adventures help mold me into the driven person I am today.

I hope I pass along my Knowledge and passion for the outdoors to my 2 children!

As far as anti’s and trying to explain anything to them I just ask them where there food came from..... I know the exact spot, I processed every single ounce of meat. They get a strange look when I say that and proceed to show them on my iPhone where there food comes from and processed at..... they shut there mouth rather quickly after that.
Matt

I always feel some remorse after killing an animal & if I ever stop feeling that way I will stop hunting, since then I will know something is wrong with me. I try to explain to anti-hunters that nature isn't like a Disney cartoon. There are no old age homes for wild animals. One of, if not the quickest, least painful way to go is a well executed hunting kill.

Must be my upbringing around livestock. Killing animals was part of life besides the killing while we hunted. mtmuley

Exactly right. Being ranchers we knew what was going to happen to animals we raised as kids. They were going to be killed and ate. Every year we would/do ship the calves and lambs off and they were going to be killed for food. We even butchered our own chickens, sheep, pigs and cattle every year. Moving from that to hunting wasn't really that big of a step. You would go kill something and eat it. It was just something that was done and honestly not many emotions were had. Kind of rough but it's the reality of the situation.

Wow,harvesting is another term for hunting.Not killing and eating...
Or slaughtering etc.I hunt and what I take is what I harvest/take home.
In simpler terms I am a hunter not a farmer. 😎

"harvesting", "shooting", "killing"- who cares what you call it. Focusing on that I think misses the point of this thread.

I feel a wide range of emotions when I shoot an animal, usually a mix of excitement, sorrow, sense of accomplishment, and, in a few instances, relief. The reason I hunt and fish is a connection to the natural world. l learn and experience so many more things in the outdoors than the non-hunter ever will. Hunting and fishing have really shaped my whole life-living pretty simply with a couple labs planning my next adventure. I wouldn't have it any other way. Some people are passionate about other things and that is fine

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back