Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Harvesting Wildlife

You're not going to turn an anti around by arguing with them.

I will always use the word "kill" when referring to the coups de grace of a hunt. I have never known it to offend or shock anyone that I come into contact with. As for feelings, the initial trigger pull and watching the animal go down is about as chest-thumping, elating as anything can be in life. The feeling after has always been a reverence for the quarry and the environment that created it. Size or age of the animal has never factored into my feelings for it. I have the forked horn antlers next to the giant 4x4's on my wall.

I always kneel down,think about the life I have just taken and say
thank you.Life is precious. What if I was the quarry? Would you stop
and contemplate what you'd just done? 😎

We do the same. Someone mentioned fish and several mentioned birds. We appreciate the bounty provided, fin, wing, hoof, paw, we always give thanks. Sometimes for the food, sometimes for the income via skins and hides, sometimes for the by-products ( cooking, medicine, income, clothes, etc )

nrhunter, there is nothing wring with that. :).

88MAN. you could also insert "gay" to replace "lesbian" and get the same result. These people sometimes have no idea what they are protesting, it is just an opportunity for all of them to do something anti-main stream together. I have not been out of an east coast college that many years and found that college campuses are becoming very left leaning as well. But, I always noticed what Europe eluded to in one of her posts, that there are some hanging out on the fringes of these groups who are willing to listen and consider other points of view.

Rtravisdavis we do the same only outside in the woods and I love their reactions. Some may still not hunt in their lifetime, but almost all want to get off the 10th floor apartment in the city and go back to the woods whenever possible and thats a start.

The people who cry and wring their hands over Bambi's mom getting killed and eaten kill just as many animals as any hunter. Even the staunchest vegan kills animals to survive. Oh, they wouldn't actually dirty their hands by pulling the trigger, they're above that, they pay someone else to kill for them. But in the end it's really not any different just because they don't get to watch the animal die. Peter Capstick once wrote something to the effect of "predators kill their own food, scavengers let others kill their food for them."

Scavengers are hunters too. Just a little slower.
American Eagles scavenge a great amount of thier food. 😎

bobbydean and twistedsage--thanks guys,

Not always, but many times there are young people with nothing better to do and for one reason or another they follow, sometimes without even having any real knowledge of what they are protesting or agreeing with. Their minds are fertile and inquisitive and are willing to listen to more than one narrative.

I agree with you on this, and these are the few that will share a bite of venison with you whether that be a steak or a piece of jerky as Rtravisdavis does. It seemed as those were not the people that you described in your original post.

Hunting, shooting, firearms, are being attacked on a daily basis and I refuse to roll over and play dead, at least while I am still kicking.

I agree and am glad to hear that you won't roll over and play dead. But in truth, I believe that you can't win in the scenario originally described. There are two strategies that I use.

1) I try to live my life in a generous and admirable way. When people find out I'm a hunter, hopefully they have already concluded that I am a pretty good guy and hopefully they themselves have to reconcile this "questionable" thing we do with the decent person that they have come to know.

2) I am in the fortunate position to have more game than my household could possibly consume. I regularly share the bounty with friends neighbors and strangers and watch them come back for more. For this reason I also make sure that the meat I offer is professionally processed and wrapped. Having pine needles and hair on the steaks never goes over real well. Lol.

Pieces of hair dirt and pine needles in your dinner means you ARE a hunter.
I AM DIRTCLOD AZ...Lets eat. 😎

Oh I guess as long as they are not Vegan the best way to win them over is with a piece of jerky or a meat stick and say as little as possible.

I mean in all honesty what would you say to a lesbian/ anti gun/atheist/anti hunting/vegan/ way far left individual who lives in a 10th floor apartment building in a city.

Not trying to play ‘gotcha’ or have a political debate, but what does being a lesbian or an atheist have to do with someone’s view on hunting?

I have not been out of an east coast college that many years and found that college campuses are becoming very left leaning as well. But, I always noticed what Europe eluded to in one of her posts, that there are some hanging out on the fringes of these groups who are willing to listen and consider other points of view.

I haven't found the terms left or right D or M to be particularly helpful in the real world. People are complex, they tend to have articulated nuanced views on issues they care about and myopic views on topics they don't, I'm just as guilty as anyone in this regard.

I think if you take the time to listen and learn about another human, they will give you the same courtesy. I think @Goatshoes nailed it, you’re not trying to beat someone over the head with your point of view, you’re just trying to convey that you're a thoughtful decent person, if you can convince someone of that you've won the battle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean in all honesty what would you say to a lesbian/ anti gun/atheist/anti hunting/vegan/ way far left individual who lives in a 10th floor apartment building in a city.

Hey Katie, wanna grab a drink later? Yep I’m bringing my pictures from POW, I wanna hear about your and Sarah’s weekend in Sonoma I was thinking of surprising my wife for our anniversary and want all the beta.

Hey Katie, wanna grab a drink later? Yep I’m bringing my pictures from POW, I wanna hear about your and Sarah’s weekend in Sonoma I was thinking of surprising my wife for our anniversary and want all the beta.
Exactly. Might find out they are already hunters. Ain't none of that, that precludes hunting.

Fair enough. I was drawing from my personal observation of several anti hunting rallies that I observed, that had other signs being carried at those rallies that supported the other groups mentioned. Speaking only for myself my reply was painted with too broad a brush. I will back out but still believe that many at these rallies have no knowledge of the issue they are protesting and that sometimes you will find some, even at those rallies who are willing to listening to other views on a given issue.

Every lesbian, atheist, vegan I know is pro-hunting... and living in WA i know more than one.

There are a lot of stereotypes associated with hunters, nonhunters, and antihunters. They are barriers to recruiting people to the activity. It would be nice to overcome them.

Every lesbian, atheist, vegan I know is pro-hunting... and living in WA i know more than one.
Then who voted to ban trapping and hound hunting in Washington? Honestly curious as if we don’t address who votes for ballot box biology then we WILL lose even more opportunities. And whoever it is whether it is other hunters that think trapping is cruel or lesbian vegans they BOTH need to be educated and at least supportive of extractive activities involving wildlife. Whether or not they participate is up to them, but I’d be lying if I said I want my draw odds to go down :)

Then who voted to ban trapping and hound hunting in Washington? Honestly curious as if we don’t address who votes for ballot box biology then we WILL lose even more opportunities. And whoever it is whether it is other hunters that think trapping is cruel or lesbian vegans they BOTH need to be educated and at least supportive of extractive activities involving wildlife. Whether or not they participate is up to them, but I’d be lying if I said I want my draw odds to go down :)

The people who don't like trapping and hound hunting obviously. You don't need to so all that extra baggage on to your issue.

It may play well to the choir, but it only alienates you and defeats your cause among those you wish to recruit, including nonlesbian, nonvegans.

Although I am once again "painting with a broad brush", but not as much as some might think. The short answer to 375 H & H's question is "Seattle". And the same thing happened in B.C. Canada. The ban on Grizzly hunting went into effect because of Vancouver. The people who live in the cities have, if not zero, close to zero knowledge about the wildlife outside of the city limits. Of course many hunters live, in the big city, so again my statement is a broad brush statement.

I also know how the these rallies work. They need people and they recruit other groups to work with them and some groups are more receptive to anti hunting than others, even if anti hunting is not their "cause" . I have ask people to explain their objection to hunting, etc and have been told, they have no idea, they are just there for the food and because they had nothing else to do------but the newspapers take of picture of this large number of people who are trying to save Bambi. They also look for the bloodiest picture they can find for their posters and will camp out in front of someone's house who has shot an animal they feel should not have been shot, although it was shot legally.

I am not bashing any "group" of people, I personally dont care what your sexual preference or dinner table meal preference is, but I do care about the assault on hunting, trapping, firearms.

And one last thing. The last time I checked there is still several Polar Bear hides in storage in Canada--while the owners of these hides, that were hunted legally by U.S. hunters in Canada, wait patiently for the U.S. to overturn the law that does not allow those hides to enter the U.S.--

They--"the antis" continue to work at taking more and more away, piece by piece-----IN MY HUMBLE OPINION and I apologize for the rant. I just worry that too many are not worried enough

P.S. I just saw the post by BrentD, which was made as I posted. I did apologize earlier for "painting with a broad brush", but if it was missed I will do so again now.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back