Handshakes

Keep good posture
Make eye contact
Hold your right hand out
Give a good firm shake
Follow the two second rule and let go
Smile!
Greet the other person and repeat their name

Only 7 things you need to know about a handshake.

I grew my business on a handshake.
When tell a customer not to worry there piece will be Wright when I'm done I also finish with a handshake.
At this point I have them as a customer for life plus there family and friends.

Your only as good as your word and handshake. BTW I'm 70 today and wouldn't change a thing.

Teach your sons, daughters and young relatives how to give a good firm hand shake.

in my retail setting I make it a point to shake hands with the young kids who come in to solicit buyers for the fair. I make sure to even correct the kids when they make a half hearted effort. "here, lets try that again." I'll even compliment the young men who have a good firm handshake. You gotta let them know when they are doing it right.

As an aside, I think that a person who knows just how to tailor their handshake to the situation will be a better kisser when that opportunity arises. Another thing I found as a young man that practice helps. At least in the situations I had with a young ladies.

Last edited:
A weak handshake from a man is never a good thing. Something that bothers me even worse is a man who doesn't look you in the eye when talking to me.

In highschool my hockey coach (known for being a bit of a hard ass) once made us (the women's hockey team) shake his hand before we could get on the ice for practice. If we had a weak handshake he made us go to the back of the line and do it again. I now always shake hands firmly and judge anyone who shakes my hand like a dead fish.

Also, don't $*)Q!#@$ hug me. Even if we're friends but especially in a business context. Just no.

Also, don't $*)Q!#@$ hug me. Even if we're friends but especially in a business context. Just no.
This is an awkward point for me.

I come from a hugging family, we hug whenever we see each other. I use that same philosophy with my friends, I've never shook my friends hands, it's hugs all round. Never awkward. But GD some of their wives make it so uncomfortable that I'm like, hug? handshake? knuckles? IDKWTF. It's gotten to the point where I legitimate don't even say bye, just sorta ignore them because they've made parting so awkward. Business, sure I get that, but friends? Com'on

my female college friends, half of whom were also my wife's college friends and most the rest married my college guy friends, for all of us we're generally hugs all around when seeing each other or departing. we're all very close and go way back.

i don't know, if a girl doesn't wanna be hugged that's fine. never heard of anyone doing that in a business setting... definitely something to avoid.

also depends on how many hands are involved in the hug, one armed side hug? frontal one handed hug? those are less intimate. if anything at least avoid wrapping the raddish snapper around em

Women usually initiate the hugs, and I've been told I'm a good hugger. Firm but not crushing. Any women over the age of 70 in much of the local multi generational families expect a cheek kiss.

Maybe I’m on the spectrum a bit but count me in on the camp that enjoys the COVID’s lasting benefit of minimizing personal to person contact. A handshake now and again is fine enough but hugs, I abhor.

Speaking of handshakes, I can't stop laughing at this.

"Don't wave an empty hand my way feller, unless you want it shook!"
First of all the guy's hands are tiny. Probably wears a youth s/m glove size
2nd - Joe was trying to do that off camera to judge his interest in using the all gender bathroom during halftime
3rd - He appears to be wasted on some kind of designer drugs we peasants can't obtain or afford

I will take all of it back if this guy changes the team name back to the REDSKINS!

In highschool my hockey coach (known for being a bit of a hard ass) once made us (the women's hockey team) shake his hand before we could get on the ice for practice. If we had a weak handshake he made us go to the back of the line and do it again. I now always shake hands firmly and judge anyone who shakes my hand like a dead fish.

my female college friends, half of whom were also my wife's college friends and most the rest married my college guy friends, for all of us we're generally hugs all around when seeing each other or departing. we're all very close and go way back.

i don't know, if a girl doesn't wanna be hugged that's fine. never heard of anyone doing that in a business setting... definitely something to avoid.

also depends on how many hands are involved in the hug, one armed side hug? frontal one handed hug? those are less intimate. if anything at least avoid wrapping the raddish snapper around em

When I used to manage a division of a Bozeman company that serviced YC clients we had a rather young and attractive sales team. They recruited lots of first year MSU graduates. One of the gals was always hugging everyone. She was a sweetheart and it was just who she was, but at one of the co Christmas parties she came up and gave me a big hug before introducing herself to my wife. Yup! Talk about awkward. Would have taken a dead handshake that day, heard about it for like a week.

Hugs are great if you haven't seen anyone in awhile but they have become perfunctory and standard - all the hippies in my friend circle that have replaced it as a hello/goodbye/I haven't seen you in an hour. They all know I don't like hugs and have made it weird by calling me out on it on the reg.

Harumph!

I once had an encounter with one of the hottest women I've ever met. I began to shake her hand. Then she started talking and turns out she was Australian. So that took it up another 10 notches listening to her I didn't even know I was crushing her hand. She stops me and says you're so cute but can I have my hand back your crushing me. I look down her hand was as red as a baboons ass. I apologize and then she walked out of my life. I was so disappointed in myself....

I've never shaken a ladies hand fully since.
Well that's a sad story... No more of those. Let's hear about the soft ha shakes that led to wild nights! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back