Caribou Gear

Handshakes

I remember my father teaching me and my brother how to shake a mans hand and look them in the eye when you do
we were about 7 and 5 yrs old but I guess he was to old fashioned living through the depression and serving in WW2
what did he know

I mean, roll your eyes if you want to but I used to shake women's hands that way and had several different women tell me it was weird. I've never had one complain about a normal handshake. You aren't going to break their hand.

This isn't 1743
Whatever!
I mean, roll your eyes if you want to but I used to shake women's hands that way and had several different women tell me it was weird. I've never had one complain about a normal handshake. You aren't going to break their hand.
are you sure they were women? it’s not 1743

You should definitely use a much softer handshake for women... I don't think anyone said you had to get on your knee and kiss the back of their hand... Just don't be quiet so firm with them.

It's respectful...
Read the portion I quoted.

You should definitely use a much softer handshake for women... I don't think anyone said you had to get on your knee and kiss the back of their hand... Just don't be quiet so firm with them.

It's respectful...
I once had an encounter with one of the hottest women I've ever met. I began to shake her hand. Then she started talking and turns out she was Australian. So that took it up another 10 notches listening to her I didn't even know I was crushing her hand. She stops me and says you're so cute but can I have my hand back your crushing me. I look down her hand was as red as a baboons ass. I apologize and then she walked out of my life. I was so disappointed in myself....

I've never shaken a ladies hand fully since.

I vividly remember a lot of limp fish handshakes from men over the years. It could have been 20 years ago, but it might as well have been yesterday…almost like I still feel the creepy sensation on my hand.

I go in with a firm grip and then the surprise of the limp fish, ewwwww. Instantly my mind says pedophile or some other sick f—-. Probably a lot of guys out there dangling the limp fish are neither but I can’t make my brain think otherwise.

I like to wiggle my finger in their palm and give a naughty wink.

They call that one:

8D694C93-8D26-4EDB-AB7F-12A691CEE39E.jpeg

Like a lot of dads, mine put a lot of emphasis on the handshake, and taught his sons the same. I follow his lead with my own, but don’t really judge those of others, having known tough people who had flaccid paws at the time of introduction.

It’s something we’re taught, and it has cultural and possibly even evolutionary underpinnings - but I wonder how tested the assumption is in real life. Does handshake quality correlate with character, really?

To the OP, though it’s certainly possible to squeeze someone’s hand too hard, the world also has a lot of noodelly appendages that love to bellyache. Weird situation.

Back