handgun choice for wilderness wanderings

GlockZ

does any carry a handgun with them while out hunting and or scouting? if so, what do you take with you?

Brian in Montana

.45 cal Springfield 1911. It's heavy, but if I was ever in a situation where I really needed a handgun that's the one I'd want. I've gotten to where I mostly just carry bear spray when bowhunting though.

VAspeedgoat

When in bear country my first defense is bear spray. However I do carry a .357 also. I used to take a .44 but I like the extra round I get and the significant weight difference with the .357. Truthfully the pistol is more for two legged problems. I do shoot corbon solids just in case.

GlockZ

myself, when out of state and legal to do so,( i live in communist NJ,where by mere fact of legally owning a firearm pretty much makes you a criminal), i carry my g20 with buffalo bore loads in bear country along with bear spray,( which is also a felony to possess in NJ). if in an area where my biggest issue is coyotes or the 2 legged threat, my g22 is preferred along with Federal HST loads.

Last edited:

grandejuan

I carry a Colt 1911. Someone on this forum or another had a good saying, "911 is who you call to make the chalk lines, 1911 decides who the chalk lines are around." GJ

Southern Elk

myself, when out of state and legal to do so,( i live in communist NJ,where by mere fact of legally owning a firearm pretty much makes you a criminal), i carry my g20 with buffalo bore loads in bear country along with bear spray,( which is also a felony to possess in NJ). if in an area where my biggest issue is coyotes or the 2 legged threat, my g22 is preferred along with Federal HST loads.
It's a felony to possess bear spray?

Firedude

6" Colt python .357 mag with heavy handloads. I shot my bear with it last fall.

Dan O

Bear spray & either of the following, Ruger sbh 4 5/8's 44 mag with 250 keith bullets, Ruger srh 7 1/2 454 with 300 grain hardcast or 300 Sierras or a Ruger sbh Bisley 6 1/2 454 with 300 grain.

The 44 is the nicest to carry so it goes most of the time. I have a chest rig for the 454's that works good.

GlockZ

Yes it is. A small can of mace , less than 1/2 ounce is legal anything more isn't. A year or two ago we had a college student killed by a black bear. Once again the debate about bear spray came up, and once again the state said we don't need it, to use the 911 services already in place.