Yeti GOBOX Collection

Guided Hunts--when would or have you done them?

When would you go or have you gone guided?

• I frequently go guided without thinking twice about it

• If federal, state, or provincial law requires it

• For a "glory tag" (high point or OIL type hunt)

• If I'm hunting somewhere I've never been

• If the location is so remote that horses, boat, aircraft, etc are needed

• As a gift or as part of a professional/business outing

• As a companion to the elderly or disabled

• To access private land I'm interested in hunting

• Never, ever, ever will I go guided

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have only been on one guided hunt in my life. It was last year when my dad and I went on a horseback elk hunt in a public wilderness area. He’s already had a a stroke and a knee surgery, so his safety and ability to get around were of concern. Our outfitter and guide gave us both a great hunt: I shot a 5x5, and my dad missed a big bull. That was my first elk hunt and my dad’s third. I definitely prefer to figure things out on my own, though

I'd go on a guided duck hunt for the social aspect and the fact they aren't terribly expensive.

Depends on the species, King Eider will cost $5500 not counting travel expenses. Other remote exotic species are just as expensive too. But I know what you're saying, ducks in general are not expensive. I guide for cinnamon teal and I don't charge much.

Last edited:
I've done guided hunts in Mexico because foreigners must hire an authorized outfitter/guide. Seven hunts there in all.
I've only done two guided hunts in the US. Once for spring snows because I was setting it up for a kiwi friend on mine who came to visit. And once in Norcal for specks and snows because a friend was urging me to go with him. Both goose hunts were fun but not really my cup of tea, don't like an army of gunners all shooting at the same targets.

When hunting at home in Arizona or even in Colorado and New Mexico, a guide was not necessary, plus all three states were close enough to allow us to use our horses ( which we loved to do) and we knew the territory being hunted.

But we had zero problem with guided hunts away from home ---ie: Alaska, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Argentina, Europe, Africa, Mexico and other speciality hunts in the lower 48. we did exhausting research on guides and their styles and personalities, in an effort to match up with our personalities and preferences and sometimes we would pay extra to get "what we wanted" on a guided hunt.

After my husband passed and because of my own age and health, I would only go on guided hunts.

I honestly believe there have been times that we would not have been as successful as we were, if he had not had a guide.

But when we were young and at home, riding off into the mountains, as a family, doing everything on our own and as a family, are still some of my best memories

In a sense, all of my earliest hunts were guided.......uncles and cousins, or my father and friends taking out the newbie on his first attempts afield.

In a traditional sense of going guided, I have done so twice. Last years Alberta black bear adventure (https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/alberta-bear-adventure.283109/) which is required of non-resident aliens to go guided, and this summer we engaged a guide to take us out after lake trout in Colorado.

The lake trout guide was great for us, as at the start he asked us for our desires....."go big or go home", or "fill the cooler". We ended up doing both under his tutelage. Once guide Dan understood we were there to go to school on his technique, he was a great teacher. We ended up boating several trophies for the camera as we all understood that for the quality of the fishery we would release any fish over 24 inches landed. Going back the next day to the same area and using the "same" technique, we caught a few, but not nearly the size or quantity of fishing with Dan.

I’ve never been on a guided hunt, Someday I will probably hire a guide with hounds for a mountain lion, as my chances of getting lucky calling one or coming across one is slim to none. I would like to take my dad on a bear hunt in the woods as that is his dream hunt, may take a guide or may not. I don’t have a problem with it but prefer to diy.

I’ve done 2 here in Australia - abosutely woeful.

1 in Idaho around 2010 (Elk). Didn’t fire a shot in anger but it was the most memorable hunt I’ve EVER been on. 6 hour horseback ride up many, many switchbacks to get to base camp had a million photo opportunities. The company, the surrounds and the people were just magnificent. My first time in snow - I have to say, for a fellow that comes from a tropical climate, I didn’t rate it much.

I did an archery black hunt in Canada, this time last year. Had a brilliant hunt. Again the people, the lodge etc were great AND I took a 400lb sow. The guides all thought it was a large boar when I showed them some pics. One year to the day 3rd September I took my bear. The arrow passed through her, she stood, looked left then right, waddled 9 steps and fell, never to get up again.

In 2 weeks I’m off to Bozeman and doing a 10 day archery hunt. I booked this late last year after one of my good mates went with the same outfitter and had a great trip. I relied on his judgement and feedback before I booked. I’ve got 2 good hunting mates joining me to experience the adventure ahead.

Overseas hunting is VERY VERY addictive.

I know that some states/circumstances require the use of a guide, but I hate the thought of some guy telling me what to shoot, and "wait until he turns sideways...shoot him again!", when I've been dragging dead critters out of the woods for over 40 years.
Likewise, my hats off to guides. I can imagine their anticipation of what kind of "hunter" he will have to drag around the mountain! Only ending up with some lazy, no shooting ability, whining...did I mention lazy, guy!
If I had to hire one for a sheep or moose hunt, I'd bit the bullet and use a guide, but not by choice.

I know that some states/circumstances require the use of a guide, but I hate the thought of some guy telling me what to shoot, and "wait until he turns sideways...shoot him again!", when I've been dragging dead critters out of the woods for over 40 years.
Likewise, my hats off to guides. I can imagine their anticipation of what kind of "hunter" he will have to drag around the mountain! Only ending up with some lazy, no shooting ability, whining...did I mention lazy, guy!
If I had to hire one for a sheep or moose hunt, I'd bit the bullet and use a guide, but not by choice.

I'm a guide for waterfowl, cinnamon teal specifically, and I need to learn to call the shots. I normally don't because I assume the hunter knows when and which one to shoot. When I ask " why didn't you shoot it" they say " you didn't tell me to".

Been on two. First was a bear hunt in Maine that was a prize for a membership drive for a hunting "club" thing I used to belong to. The other one I paid for because I had to. I went alligator hunting in Louisiana. Needed a "helper" tag to actually kill it myself and then paid my guide what he would have made selling it so he wouldn't lose anything for his tag. No bear seen or killed, brought a gator home. Not real interested in any other guided hunts. Can't see spending the money!

I have done one guided big game hunt. Back a long time ago, when I started archery elk hunting. I went 3 years without any success and decided I was either gonna give it up or I needed some success. I hired a guide out of Craig CO for an archery cow elk hunt. I was successful on opening morning and quickly realized I wasn't doing anything wrong on my own trips, I was just hunting where there were very few elk! Don't be afraid to move and try different areas!

No problem with guided hunts that require expensive specialized equipment or are required by law.
I duck hunt the NC outer banks a couple of times a year. It’s open water hunting out of stake blinds for divers. “Guide” is a local commercial fisherman that comes down and turkey hunts with me in spring. If would make no sense to trailer a boat and carry all decoys for what he charges to hunt a few days a year. He drops us off at the blind with our gear and dekes, the picks us up when we are ready.

I've done a few , found out for most of them no guide would have been needed if I had the access available they did.
My very first elk hunting experience was guided in Wyoming. About 2 years after we moved up here we attended a local RMEF banquet and 2 local outfitters had donated a NF archery elk hunt. Bidding was slow so we joined in. We won the hunt for just a few hundred dollars, turned into a 2 year hunt as no shot opportunities on the first year. The retired outfitters are now good friends of ours and I've had the pleasure of guiding them on a hog hunt down in Texas.
These days, I want to get it done on my own. Well, with help from my spouse.

I did a guided pheasant/chukar hunt that was part of a charity silent auction win I had. Neither myself nor anyone I know knew how to bird hunt or had ever gone before. I did it for the charity reason and because I wanted to experience what it would be like with the dogs to find out if it was something I wanted to pursue in the future. I didn't really enjoy the hunt but it did inspire me to start hunting birds on my own on public land in the future, so it was not a total loss. It was also amazing to watch the dogs work.

My experience with guided hunts has not been good so I generally will not do them. I found that I can find my prey just as easy or better when I hunt solo or with a partner. Guided hunts are so expensive that if I am going to pay that, I expect the guide to provide near 100% success dependent only on my ability to shoot.

Never been on a bad guided hunt or fishing trip. Always learned something and usually made a new friend.
I sure do enjoy the DIY hunts, as well. It’s satisfying to take your show on the road and succeed.
Same here. Both DIY and guided have there place in my life.

Depends on the species, King Eider will cost $5500 not counting travel expenses. Other remote exotic species are just as expensive too. But I know what your saying, ducks in general are not expensive. I guide for cinnamon teal and I don't charge much.
I looked into king eider once just because they are a bucket list bird for me and the cost blew me away. Not questioning it because I’m sure they have their reasons but didn’t expect it to be that high.

My lifestyle doesn’t allow the time to drive west, get the horses, set up the camp, hunt, take down camp and head back home. For me, a guided hunt allows me to enjoy the west with the limited time I have for hunting. The trade off is the money. It’s always one or the other - time vs money.

I have done one once and have a sour taste on them. Besides being outrageously expensive, the outfitter did not get me any closer to the deer than I could of done myself. They had also blocked off numerous plots of public land which I did not like.

If I do a guided hunt again, it will be for moose or buffalo but will be semi-guided.

Ive been on several guided hunts one deer hunt was very poor the guide never looked at any trail cams near our hunting area till the day we arrived and had very few pics of any buck during the day had a bad feeling right away
And several archery elk hunts horse back in abt 6 mile they were great passed up elk every time looking for the big boy and have a very good bull in the game room
Going back and fourth on this issue now due to the fact IM 57 live in Pa and every one I know bails out during the planning of every elk trip they just dont take it serious and get in shape, so at 57 do I bring out a new hunting partner (thinking abt that and yes know all the issues ) or just go solo back to where I know is good elk hunting, 3 or 4 miles in working this out for this year lol yup

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back