Grizzly kills woman hiker in Montana yesterday, by Yellowstone

Real sad deal and I hate to hear it.

Now, like clockwork, the usual folks will claim that this could've all been avoided if we had a hunting season for griz - something I am not opposed to, but a claim I find dubious as hell.

I’m in favor of a bear season also , but season or no season , when we spend time on there turf bear attacks are gonna happen. I used to surf the north coast back when I lived in Oregon, I knew great whites we’re swimming the coast and every couple years a surfer would get tagged but that’s a risk I choose to accept every time I got in the water

Now, like clockwork, the usual folks will claim that this could've all been avoided if we had a hunting season for griz - something I am not opposed to, but a claim I find dubious as hell.
what you don’t believe a super limited number of hunters would magically only kill potential problem bears?

Sad deal, a big part of me doesn’t miss hunting in grizz country

It's not clockwork to see that grizz attacks are up with the increase in grizz numbers.

Very sad story. God bless her family. She probably knew the risk of grizz encounters, and chose it anyway. At least she passed on doing and being what and where she loved.

I agree mostly however the point of state management is to maintain x population per areas overcome by griz. There is merit to the basis State management of griz via hunting is conservation via # control.
There is a nexus.

I’m still rattled a little from my Montana bear run in last year , I discovered a good new spot for WT deer late last season in the same general area, and wanted to hike it this spring and get to a ridge that has good elevation for glassing I saw but don’t hike to last deer season , and couldn’t get a partner to hike it , so I didn’t go in there solo

Seems that there are about the same amount of deaths in Alaska where grizzlies are hunted. That doesn't take into account the grizzly population in Ak vs Mt or the amount of human activity in the forests in AK vs Mt which I would suspect is way higher in Mt.

I’m still rattled a little from my Montana bear run in last year , I discovered a good new spot for WT deer late last season in the same general area, and wanted to hike it this spring and get to a ridge that has good elevation for glassing I saw but don’t hike to last deer season , and couldn’t get a partner to hike it , so I didn’t go in there solo
Hiking with a partner decreases your chances of getting mauled or killed by 50% (or more with proper partner selection 😜). #Math

Hiking with a partner decreases your chances of getting mauled or killed by 50% (or more with proper partner selection 😜). #Math

Yeah, wanting to hike in there and needing to hike in there two totally different things I didn’t need to so I didn’t 🤠 , and if I don’t make it in their late summer before hunting season starts I guess I’ll just be scouting it while I’m hunting in mid November

While this is a bit crass, but funny and true....rule number 1 is don't hike alone. I get you can't always find someone to go hiking with though...so people go alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back