Grizzly kills woman hiker in Montana yesterday, by Yellowstone

I’ve lived and hunted there all my life. Grizzlies are a constant part of the landscape. We see bears or bear sign every fall when we hunt there. Last fall was no different, we put up a trail camera in an elk carcass and got hundreds of pictures of at least 4 different grizzlies.

I did a photo essay for Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation magazine “Bugle” which should be published this fall…

View attachment 285399View attachment 285400View attachment 285401View attachment 285402
This is awesome.

I’ve lived and hunted there all my life. Grizzlies are a constant part of the landscape. We see bears or bear sign every fall when we hunt there. Last fall was no different, we put up a trail camera in an elk carcass and got hundreds of pictures of at least 4 different grizzlies.

I did a photo essay for Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation magazine “Bugle” which should be published this fall…

View attachment 285399View attachment 285400View attachment 285401View attachment 285402
Wow, what a bruiser!

Sorry for her parents. The article doesn't say if she was on a hike or a trail run. IMO, trail running in Grizzly country is nuts. The opportunity to surprise a bear is far greater than just walking, and your ability to react with spray in a timely manner is greatly diminished. But apparently she wasn't even carrying spray.

Was solo and off trail when I bumped into these three last year about this time. As you can tell it was raining and hard to hear. I saw them first at 15 yards, but they were unaware of me. When the velcro released to access my bear spray, that got their attention. Luckily they ran the other way and this pic was probably 25 or 30 yards. Glad the cubs were by her side when they saw me.
1690290104997.png
1690290212718.png

Wow...that thing is a tank.

Seems that there are about the same amount of deaths in Alaska where grizzlies are hunted. That doesn't take into account the grizzly population in Ak vs Mt or the amount of human activity in the forests in AK vs Mt which I would suspect is way higher in Mt.
Wrong. According to this https://thealaskafrontier.com/bear-attack-statistics-attacks-in-alaska/
“Alaska averages a fatal bear attack once every other year”
We have had fatalities every single year for a while now.

Seems like Targhee pass/buttermilk would make a pretty good funnel for bears between human activity. Seems like a spot ripe for conflict.

It's difficult to describe in words how nervous I'd be hanging those cameras😳

Sometimes just me and my kid go on hikes n hunts, sometimes in larger groups, sometimes I go by myself. I know the potential with Grizzlies and I carry a capable sidearm. I have spray too but my choice is a sidearm. Stuff can happen and I accept that possibility. It is sad to hear about this girl but it was her right to take that chance. I say don’t knock her for it.

And I'd rather be spraying a cloud than trying to thread the needle with a bullet. I believe the research supports that. But to each his own. Guy on the summit of Siyeh had spray AND a sidearm he said held 23 rounds. lol. He was from Missouri.
You do know what grizzly bear scat is like, don't you?

Sorry for her parents. The article doesn't say if she was on a hike or a trail run. IMO, trail running in Grizzly country is nuts. The opportunity to surprise a bear is far greater than just walking, and your ability to react with spray in a timely manner is greatly diminished. But apparently she wasn't even carrying spray.
I always thought that the danger of running was you're mimicking prey

One thing different Alaska vs Montana is that killing the bear is an option, and no big deal. We had fresh caribou meat in camp, and scared off a troublesome bear, but if we had shot it we wouldn't have faced giant fines. Not that it would matter. You can always make more money.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back