Yeti GOBOX Collection

Girls Rule......Someone make her stop!

ihuntelk

Paige had a couple doe whitetail tags in her pocket over Thanksgiving. She harvested one Friday eve and the other Saturday morning. Friday eve I did the gutting as I had a hot date with her mother that we were almost late for. She field dressed the one Saturday morning. She couldn't quite figure out how to cut around the bum-hole so I had to help there, but she did the rest by herself.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

I got her out on the Wed before thanksgiving to chase cow elk but we got a little sidetracked. Her 13 year old friend hit one a liiiiittttle far back that I tracked for 1.5 miles. It started out 200 yards from the road and ended up in the bottom of the biggest canyon around before I was able to find it. It made for a big pack out and we didn't get back to the rig til after 3 with only a couple hours left to hunt. We found another herd and got Paige laid down over the pack. Both me and my buddy couldn't tell where in the world she hit the first shot, but no elk were harmed. They dropped over a ridge and we pursued. We looked for blood in the snow and after finding none, trailed the herd over the ridge. We topped over the ridge and there was a herd on the next 4 ridges between 250 and 700 yards. We got her laid down and picked out a young cow all by herself. I watched Paige while my buddy watched the elk. I thought she was just getting ready when she just reached up and jerked the trigger. She had done that once at the range but not for a long time. The close herd all bailed over the ridge but both my buddy and I were positive she hadn't even been close. I ranged the herd on the next ridge and they were right at the edge of where I was comfortable having her shoot. She was still laying in the snow with the gun over the pack. I was kneeling next to her and could see she was shaking. After I asked her about it, she started shaking uncontrollably. She was still a little wet from our big pack that morning in some pretty good snow. It was cooling off and after laying in the snow for a couple minutes, it just hit her. I knew it was time to get her to the truck so we left 70+ elk on the hillside. She was a little disappointed as that was her only opportunity to elk hunt this year. I just couldn't swing any more days with her and Kenz's shool and extracurricular activities. I thought we did pretty good with the days we had.

She still wants to harvest an elk. I keep reminding her that I was in my 3rd season before I harvested an elk. I also told her that I had been through 3 seasons before I had harvested as many animals as she did in her first season. She just smiles and starts talking about elk next season. I don't know what her mother will do if 2 Powell's are infected with the elk disease!............

Paige's pronghorn buck and doe
Paige16.jpg
Paige08.jpg

Paige's mulie buck
15.jpg

Start 'em young!
-Cade

Awsome year for you guys so far! Its always fun seeing these posts. Has mom seen the blood on the white coat yet?:D

You're raising that girl right (and her friends). Good work. She's covered more animals in a year than I did in a decade.

Atta girl Paige. As a father of three daughters it makes me smile to see other girls my kids age having luck in the field. Little do you know that you have a great grasp on the reality of life and death just from hunting with your family keep up the good work.

Another great thread! Well done Paige!! My 14 year-old daughter has a WT tag left as well, we're headed out this afternoon, hopefully she will shoot as well as you! I doubt there's a chance she will do the field dressing this year though. Good job on that!! :) oh and what heavy horned antelope!! very cool! Congrats on all of your hunts Paige and Dad!

Congratulations to the both of you. Going back to the truck sounds like the right call.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back