Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Game bags

7mm08mo

Just wondering if everyone uses them or not, if so what kind. I was wondering if some of my wife's old pillow cases would work just as well? I've never used them but I've only hunted in the west twice, around home I can get my deer to the fridge quick enough. Heading west the next two years for antelope and elk just wondering if they would be something I need.

Yeah, I did the wife's old pillow case deal one year. Pissed her off BIG TIME. Hey, they were old right ? (Didn't matter)
(I'm not married to her any more either)

Went to the $ store and bought my own damn cases after that ! :mad:

Any way, Yeah, they work pretty good, just tend to be a bit short for a full hind quarter of a deer. If you're deboning, your golden. Keep 'em wet and aired as long as you can & and don't over pack them.

Ice as soon as you can. (excerpt from my hunts in Hawaii & AZ)

Last edited:
If you use pillow cases, make sure then meat does not hang long in a wet environment. They do not dry and that is where spoilage starts. Used them for quite a while with OK results, but I learned how they retain moisture that can start spoilage, the hard way :eek:. Then I went to the mesh cloth and found that if you put too much weight in them to the point that it stretches the mesh, flies can still penetrate the fabric.

I think I've tried them all. For all conditions, wet or dry; all loads, small or large, I've settled on using synthetic game bags. They are reusable, last forever, and eliminate the moisture retention issue. I use the Caribou Game Bags. I don't get a dime for using them, but they are the best I have found. Not the cheapest, but over the long-term and of years of use and washing, the best I know of.

Warning - they seem to disappear when you loan them to family and friends.

Here is a link - http://www.biggamebags.com/

Tag bags from pristine adventures are pretty good too. Same thing as the caribou game bags.

Another vote on tha Caribou gear bags. Just a warning though don't wash with Clorox it shortens their life dramatically.

I'm one of the scoundrels Fin mentioned above, and have been very impressed with the ones I jacked from him last year. It's amazing how fast they dry out when hung, and makes swapping bags and keeping meat dry a breeze. They machine wash really well and the ones I've used 3-4 times are still looking great. I also like how tight knit they are, no bugs are getting through them at all, which is a problem I constantly had with ones I've used in the past.

I ordered a bunch more for our Alaska trip, and see no reason to ever mess with another type of bag again.

I just use the cheap ones from Walmart. I have never had an issue with spoilage or flies penetrating them. I shot a bull in warm weather in 2011 and there were thousands of flies swarming the kill. I didn't lose any meat. They cost $10 a four pack but I have found them after the season for $2.

Another vote for Caribou bags.
I first used them on a solo elk hunt hunt a couple years ago in a wilderness area. I think I took a mix of Alaskan game bags, Caribou quarter bags and a heavier bag I've forgotten make of.
The weather was hot and conditions pretty dusty. The flies and meat bees were THICK.

I killed a Roosevelt Bull and filled 5 various bags and started packing out one at a time, on a three mile round trip. The hunt itself is a long story but bottom line the Caribou bags far outperformed the others in durability, weight, ease of use, breathability, quick drying, and ZERO insect intrusion. The other bags had problems with flies entering through small tears or other openings. I left the Caribou Bags for last packs out and lost no meat to spoilage or insects.

As a side note I have heard (maybe rumor) TAG Bags are very similar and may have been the originator of design that was "adopted" by Caribou.

I just spoke to the Caribou guys and they are very nice. I ordered them and can't wait to use them.

for a backup I carry the old G.I. sleeping bag liners in my truck. they are three times the size of a pillowcase, and last forever (unless your wife discovers them and throws them out due to the blood stains)

I have one deer bag that I have used for 25 yrs. It covers a whole deer.
I have a bag of 4 heavy nylon/canvas bags I got from RMEF years ago,1/4 size. They are the camp/pack out bags.
I found a set of Alaska bags that are light weight at a yard sale,4- 1/4 bags and 2 bags big enough for whole front rib on quarters.
I carry 4 lite wt. ones in my hunting pack now.

Amazing how clean they come out after soaking in cold water and some peroxide,before washing.

Okay guys, I've been following this debate on Game Bag materials, etc. and gave it some thought. I have been using pillow cases as well, as I thought the cheese cloth bags were next to worthless. I checked out some of the commercial synthetic game bags for sale, and see they are approximately $50.00 for 6 big bags. I also read that they should breathe, and do a "blow through them" test to see about that.
Today, I was in Walmart and checked out some fabric with my wife. They had a polypropylene fabric that was pretty tightly woven, and yet you could blow through it, proving it breathes. I don't think a fly could lay eggs through it either. It was $1.49/yard. We bought 6 yards of it for under $9.00. Wifey is going to custom sew me some game bags from it. It weighs far less than 6 cotton pillow cases, even before it's been cut up and the excess discarded. I think it will compress somewhat in a pack too.
So, I'm excited to see if this material does the trick? If not, I'm out the same amt. of money I could have spent on a 12 pack!

Caribou game bags. Put your meat in a pillow case in humid damp conditions and see what happens !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back