Forum donations

Would you agree with forum donations/fees?

• Total voters

Dave N

Thanks to the latest hacking that took place a lot of talk about security and costs to run this forum have been discussed. Randy has publicly said that it's "not in his nature" to ask for help. Here is our chance to show him if we are willing to help out in a way to keep this place going and take a small part of the load off his shoulders. Maybe being an accountant and seeing some actual numbers he may take notice of how the group feels.

Make your selection and PLEASE keep things civil! There's always someone who has to make it an argument. I left dollar amounts out because that's a whole other topic.

Thanks !

Dave you need to add a donate option.
Done. I didn't have it there mainly because I think if it was an option to donate, hackers would still get access. Guess that's all part of the "donations/fees" part...

I'm voting for the yearly fee. The dollar amount would be determined by Randi and his software folks to make sure it covers what he needs. I feel that by paying SOMETHING the one-post wonders would go away plus most outsiders not really looking to participate would be weeded out.

I’m a member of a couple forums that have subscription levels. Free gets you access to read all posts and comment on everything but the classifieds sections. Any of the paid levels allow you to post in the classifieds and add pictures to your posts.

I certainly appreciate it as it keeps scammers our of the classifieds sections and but it does hinder forum traffic a bit too.

No...i dont mind paying but there is 17 adds on the front page of this site. Many years ago adds were limited to almost none and so were these problems. This is a product of out growing site initial intent. This message board is also a part of the advertisement that is hunt talk, and its countless media channels. I dont facebook but would you pay for it? They make money on adds, thats how it works! In digital world if your not paying, your the product! I personnaly think "hunt talk" has gotten out ahead of its skis and is not half the resource and quality of "on your own adventures, etc." If this doesnt work financially shut it down, someone will find a product that does, demand will be meet. If you offer a pay product BIG changes would need to happen to maintain this product as expectaions will be drastically increased. While initial response will always be i would pay a few dollars over time the customer base will erode and not be able to be self supportive. In topic related terms paying for message board is like outfitter welfare...

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't have a problem paying a fee. I get a lot of enjoyment out of HT, especially since I've started applying the "ignore" feature to a handful of users.

My concern though is that it would be the beginning of the end for HT. Online hunting forums are dying overall, I believe requiring a fee to view content would accelerate that.

Maybe a Patreon page? Patrons could get extra content in the form of videos, first crack at new gear or special giveaways from sponsors, etc.

This is such a good resource for folks, limiting the reach would also limit conservation efforts, season setting initiatives, etc. I'd definitely be in for a monthly. I get more value out this site than Netflix.

I'm a fan of patreon or a prominent donation. I've donated many times over the years to a podcast I listen to.

A college football forum I'm on has a free and VIP. There is exclusive content for VIP and any VIP user can check "VIP Only" when creating a thread. Main use there is to keep fans from other schools from joining certain threads (unless they pay up).

Question is how much cost did you add to maintain site.

Paid membership to access classifieds should be added to any other options considered.

I voted for donation only because I don’t think Randy can bring himself to the point of charging to be part of the Hunttalk forum.

Another acceptable option would be a yearly subscription. I think monthly fees would be too unwieldy and many people would stop being part of the forum because of the bother.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back