Caribou Gear

? for ID hunters

406LIFE

I'll be hunting ID this fall for bear, deer, and elk. What I'd like to know is there anything that a MT hunter might not know or might need to know about crossing over into ID. Just general info, good things to know, etc... Don't need spots or draw recommendations...

For a MT hunter, don't moleste our sheep.

Otherwise, you need to be more specific with your questions.

• Leave your orange at home. Only wussies worry about safety
  • Keystone Light is the preferred refreshment
  • It is ok to leave your beer cans anywhere on the mountain
  • Be careful of the Fish and Game, they sometimes set decoys up along the road to entrap law-abiding hunters who just happen to like shooting from their pick-up
  • You can shoot a bear on a deer tag
  • The only shots you miss are the ones you don't take, shoot at anything that moves
  • Wolf tags are cheap, best advice on finding wolves is free, at the local bar. Look for guy with biggest belly and NRA hat.
  • Wait until after dark to leave the unit, avoids fish and game check stations.
  • No Elk in the Boise, Payette, Salmon, Clearwater drainages. Wolves ate them all.
  • No Whitetail north of the Salmon River, Fish and Game mismanaged them and blue-tongue killed them all
  • No Mule deer south of the Salmon River, harsh winter killed them all. And lions, too.
  • No bears in many units, Wolves killed them all

Glad to be of help. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

If you're archery hunting, no mechanical broadheads or lighted nocks.
+1 on buying a wolf tag
Make sure to review the Motorized Vehicle rule, it's in effect mainly in SE Idaho, but peppered throughout the central part of the state too.
You can hunt in multiple units on the general deer tag, as long as the unit has a general hunt open.
Elk hunts are in zones, so you also can have a few units that you can hunt.

I'd say actually call someone at F&G on that Motorized vehicle rule. I read it multiple times and apparently came to a completely false interpretation. An area I thought would be hike in only was FULL of motorbikes and SxS.

• Leave your orange at home. Only wussies worry about safety
  • Keystone Light is the preferred refreshment
  • It is ok to leave your beer cans anywhere on the mountain
  • Be careful of the Fish and Game, they sometimes set decoys up along the road to entrap law-abiding hunters who just happen to like shooting from their pick-up
  • You can shoot a bear on a deer tag
  • The only shots you miss are the ones you don't take, shoot at anything that moves
  • Wolf tags are cheap, best advice on finding wolves is free, at the local bar. Look for guy with biggest belly and NRA hat.
  • Wait until after dark to leave the unit, avoids fish and game check stations.
  • No Elk in the Boise, Payette, Salmon, Clearwater drainages. Wolves ate them all.
  • No Whitetail north of the Salmon River, Fish and Game mismanaged them and blue-tongue killed them all
  • No Mule deer south of the Salmon River, harsh winter killed them all. And lions, too.
  • No bears in many units, Wolves killed them all

Glad to be of help. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

I find your prowess inspiring. I can almost taste the wolf steaks....

I'm not that deep in to hunting yet, but know the rules to a T with crossing state lines with a harvest. For bear know the hours of the closest station or office you can take it to get tagged and tooth pulled, so your not wasting days when you could be on your way back home.

Might look into having a couple proxy cards typed up as well.

Do they still give the free three day fishing permit with the deer/elk tags? I've really been curious about the Oct. salmon/steelhead. What's​ the best play?

October salmon/steelhead would be a pretty hit or miss venture, depending on where you are going. The Clearwater would be a good steelhead prospect, as would the Snake and mouth of/lower part of the Salmon. Other than that, unless conditions are prime to keep the fish moving fast I don't think you have much opportunity.

Back