? for ID hunters

I've read several people now on a few different forums telling folks to get a wolf tag.

Anybody have an accurate map of pack ranges? I suspect I won't be hunting far enough North to see any but I could be wrong.

I've read several people now on a few different forums telling folks to get a wolf tag.

Anybody have an accurate map of pack ranges? I suspect I won't be hunting far enough North to see any but I could be wrong.

You've got a chance to run into one about anywhere, although there seems to be very few south of I-84and I-86. There are pretty much wolves occupying the majority of suitable habitat.

TheNorthStar, where are you looking at hunting? In the eastern part of the state I have heard that the wolves range from the Montana border to Soda, and west to the Arbon Valley area around Pocatello. I know they are in the Salmon/Challis area, and I think I have even heard that they are around the Sun Valley area.

TheNorthStar, where are you looking at hunting? In the eastern part of the state I have heard that the wolves range from the Montana border to Soda, and west to the Arbon Valley area around Pocatello. I know they are in the Salmon/Challis area, and I think I have even heard that they are around the Sun Valley area.

South of Atlanta on the big ridge that separates 39 and 43.

I have no real desire to shoot a wolf, but my appreciation for the deer and elk compel me to be prepared to do my part in the management of them. Unfortunately the only part of your range description I recognize is "the Montana border", lol. I'm as green as it gets, this will be my first trip West of the MN border with a weapon in hand and I've focused my attention on the one area I've had a couple recommendations for.

*edit I guess I do know where the Sun Valley is, so that's not entirely true. =)

I have no real desire to shoot a wolf, but my appreciation for the deer and elk compel me to be prepared to do my part in the management of them. Unfortunately the only part of your range description I recognize is "the Montana border", lol. I'm as green as it gets, this will be my first trip West of the MN border with a weapon in hand and I've focused my attention on the one area I've had a couple recommendations for.

*edit I guess I do know where the Sun Valley is, so that's not entirely true. =)

IDFG's website has a pack map. The area you're hunting has wolves. Don't expect to see one. Wolves are smart and have figured out they're been hunted. However, you might get lucky.

According to an IDF&G report released in March, 2016, Idaho had (at the end of 2015) a minimum of 786 wolves with an estimated 108 packs. Given that Idaho is a state comprising 83,797 squares miles it's unlikely, highly unlikely, you'll encounter wolves anywhere within the state without a Herculean effort on your part to find them. Purchase a bear tag instead. With an estimated black bear population in excess of 20,000 bears you're far more likely to encounter black bears than gray wolves within the state, giving you a realistic opportunity to 'do your part in the management' of Idaho's elk and deer.

IDFG's website has a pack map. The area you're hunting has wolves. Don't expect to see one. Wolves are smart and have figured out they're been hunted. However, you might get lucky.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you might be one of the guys that recommended the area to me via email through the monster mulies message board. You're everywhere, aren't you, Mr. Moore. =)

*edit Might as well put a tag in my pocket then if the money is going to make it's way towards conservation and not expect to see any wolves.

According to an IDF&G report released in March, 2016, Idaho had (at the end of 2015) a minimum of 786 wolves with an estimated 108 packs. Given that Idaho is a state comprising 83,797 squares miles it's unlikely, highly unlikely, you'll encounter wolves anywhere within the state without a Herculean effort on your part to find them. Purchase a bear tag instead. With an estimated black bear population in excess of 20,000 bears you're far more likely to encounter black bears than gray wolves within the state, giving you a realistic opportunity to 'do your part in the management' of Idaho's elk and deer.

My only issues with that is that I don't want to eat a bear and there's a $150 difference in those tags. Personally I feel there's a difference between managing predators and the killing of game animals even though I'm not going to eat the wolf either.

Last edited:
Sorry for the vague boundary, being a native taterhead, I should have been more clear! I wasn't sure if IDFG had a pack map, but I agree that you will probably hear more wolves than you will see. I carry a wolf tag because in the North Fork canyon of the Salmon River I know a few people who have seen them while fishing for steelhead. They have been heavily pressured, but you never know when one might pop up.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you might be one of the guys that recommended the area to me via email through the monster mulies message board. You're everywhere, aren't you, Mr. Moore. =)

*edit Might as well put a tag in my pocket then if the money is going to make it's way towards conservation and not expect to see any wolves.

My only issues with that is that I don't want to eat a bear and there's a $150 difference in those tags. Personally I feel there's a difference between managing predators and the killing of game animals even though I'm not going to eat the wolf either.
Your altruism is commendable. IDF&G will gladly accept your $31.75 contribution toward wildlife management. As for your discriminating tastes, unlike you and given the alternative, I prefer to eat the wolf.

Huh... Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, so I'll just thank you for the advice and get on with my evening.

You can shoot a bear with your NR deer tag if you desire.
Or a mountain lion or a wolf.

I bought a wolf tag, bc, why not? For $32 after spending +$600 on the elk tag and fishing license, meh.

Also worth noting this year is that NR bear tags are like $40 for designated wilderness areas, so if you are hunting an area like the Frank maybe that's the solution.

Last edited:
  • Keystone Light is the preferred refreshment
  • It is ok to leave your beer cans anywhere on the mountain

If you want to fit in in East Idaho make sure your flavor of choice is Busch Light

Found this thread today while searching for SE Idaho Elk stuff. This statement is possibly the greatest thing I have read on the internet this week. Due to the beer suggestion, I know I have made the correct choice in where im going hunting. Ill bring some as tribute

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back