First Bull!!!

MontanaGoneWild

So after close calls and more close calls every year since ive been hunting, it finally went into my favor today.
So i set out to go camping for the next 3 days, headed out at 3:00a.m for my honey hole. Got there right in time to set out for the morning hunt. As i was walking up my usual old logging road i noticed another truck parked, and thought i was too late the other hunter has me beat. 100yds up the road i found the eager hunter climbing up, a caught up to him and he told me he heard bugles all night on the ridge to the right, i never really hunted that ridge so i told him all head up the left one. As light just started to break i was near the ridge and then heard cow calls and bugles from the hunter below, a soft bugle echoed in the honey hole i was about to hit up. As i got closer the bulls fired up, now i can hear to bulls bugling up the ridge, but werent coming into my calls. So i decided to sprint up to them before they headed over the top. As i got close enough where it sounded like the bulls were 100yds up the ridge i let out a couple soft cow calls to try and turn either of them back, and to my suprise i bugle responded and i caught a glimpse of one jogging throught the trees. I set up in an instant and let out 2 more soft calls, got my arrow nocked waited. A bull was cracking branches and was headed my way, and in an instant was at a 35yd distant head first. At this time my bow was at full draw and the wait was on. He knew something was off but in my favor some cows started chirping and the other bull started to bugle. My bull turned broadside and i let the arrow fly. I didnt see if i got a good hit on him and he jolted back up the hill stopping at about 75yds. He then started to loose his balance and down he went. What was supposed to be my birthday week hunting trip ended at 7.20 the first morning and it was on my birthday. Best day in the woods for me!!!!
DSCN0912_zpsc764315b.jpg

DSCN0903-Copy_zps4e2bb42f.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your first bull. Sounds like you got a great birthday gift. Nothing beats calling them in.

Sounds like a fun quick hunt, and on your b-day! That`s a hunt you`ll never forget!
Happy Birthday, Congratulations on a great bull (first one too), and welcome to the site!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back