Caribou Gear

Fine Firearms

I didn't say I don't have a few, they just don't have the warmth of a nice piece of wood and bluing...

Elk2009BobsPlace2.jpg

The Accumark was, for a long spell before I could afford one, my dream rifle. That thing screamed custom killer. To me it was the Corvette/Rolls Royce of production hunting rifles....then I traded a 300 Mark V for a very lightly used 257 wby mag AMark. Pointed and carried like a boat anchor....but man it was stunning in profile.

...It's long gone.

Shrap. I am in total agreement with the first line of your original post. I have never warmed up to the idea of man made stocks on sporting rifles. I grew up around a couple of gunsmithing brothers, who habitually started with a mil surp Springfield and a piece of Walnut cut off the back forty and turned it all into the most gracefully designed and executed examples of the gunbuilder's art that one could ask for.
I guess the sounds and smells of hanging around in their shop left it's mark.
While I don't have a single example of what a collector would call "Fine" , I do have a rather large pile of walnut, maple and blue or brown steel around the house. I have subjected all of them to rather hard use for years and never minded scratches, dents and general wear that they get. I notice that with very few exceptions, I am drawn to guns that were made no later than the 70's and most of what is in the house and being used most was made closer to 1900 than 2000. In all my use of guns in the field, I have never seen any reason not to have a wood stocked gun for sporting purposes. Love that walnut!

Thanks! What do you think of this prairie dog I shot with it too?

image_30.jpeg

Took the #1 for a 13 mile walk yesterday. Even got some scars for it because it ain't a hunting season until I fall down - at least once.

After fondling a buddy's Montana though, I think I can see committing adultery.

Attachments

• 21871228054_9188fe91fe_z.jpg
    21871228054_9188fe91fe_z.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 445
Took the #1 for a 13 mile walk yesterday. Even got some scars for it because it ain't a hunting season until I fall down - at least once.

After fondling a buddy's Montana though, I think I can see committing adultery.

No need to commit adultery, they make lightweight fire starter models as well. This one followed me around all weekend. Luckily I didn't get cold, so no fires were needed.

2015-10-24%2009.32.45_zpshuo4cdbs.jpg

No need to commit adultery, they make lightweight fire starter models as well. This one followed me around all weekend. Luckily I didn't get cold, so no fires were needed.

2015-10-24%2009.32.45_zpshuo4cdbs.jpg

I don't care if she is finicky she's gorgeous.

Il be in my bunk.

Last edited:
Talk of warm wood feel and photos of Ruger #1's.....hoping to initiate my newest toy very soon - in the good old 7x57 tradition.

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 374
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back