Yeti GOBOX Collection

Finally!

----

Elk are far and away the animal I have had the hardest time hunting the last few years.
I consider myself pretty good at finding game, but for whatever reason elk just give me fits. I've always had my encounters, but could never put it all together and put a bull on the ground. Each of the last four seasons I've blown it on bulls at least once during the season, last year missing a beautiful feeding six by six at only 250 yards.

This year had to be the year though, I've only hunted deer a handful of times and have almost completely dedicated this year to elk. The elk hunting has been very slow too. Besides opening day, I really wasn't getting on elk that often at all, up until I started hunting the same drainage I missed the six point in last year about two weeks ago.

We got a pretty good snowstorm the first day I headed in there, and there were elk tracks absolutely everywhere. Knowing that older bulls use the area at times and there were elk in the area, I pretty much decided I'd hunt the piss out of this drainage until something happened. Over the next ten days I hunted in there five times, seeing good numbers of cows everyday. No bulls however. And being as its three miles in before I even get to the area I start to hunt, it was pretty hard to keep motivating myself to hump it in there. But being as I kept seeing lots of cows, I figured I'd stick with it until hopefully a bull showed.

I loaded up yesterday and left the house at four, wanting to get most the hike out before light broke. I reached the saddle and starting glassing just as the sun was coming up, and started seeing cows instantly.

picture.php

picture.php

No bulls so no action. I headed up over into the next little drainage and glassed these ladies up on the skyline.

picture.php

(these are through my binoculars so bear with me)

No visible bulls again, I'm starting to wonder how all these calves came about.
It was still late morning and I was feeling ambitious and decided that there were enough elk moving to warrant another couple mile trek up and around the mountain looking into a saddle between three separate drainages.

picture.php

This picture's from the saddle, looking back down the drainage I hunted on the way up.

I posted up on a ridgeline beside the saddle and started glassing. Right away I spotted a half dozen or so elk bedded just off the top of a knob across the saddle, maybe six hundred yards away. I assumed they were the same herd as in the third picture above. No bulls no worries though. Out came lunch and I lounged around for a while watching the elk. I had no reason to think there would be a bull anywhere near these elk, but thought I could get in close and wanted to see how good my stalking skills were.

I dropped out of sight of the elk, and circled around the back side of the knob. Starting my way up, the week old snow was loud as walking on eggshells, I figured this is a waste of time. I didn't even bother catching my breath before reaching the top, figuring the elk would already be watching me from a distant ridge. Over the top I go and bam! elk!

Less than forty yards away I start scanning them, cow, calf, calf, cow, cow, cow, calf, bull.....
HOLY SHIT BULL!!!!
Quartering away from me bedded, I thought, "There's no way you can shoot that dink this far back..." Just as I was thinking this, he stood, and the trigger went off.

I could see the blood coming out of the ribs through the scope and knew the shot was true.

picture.php

This is my view of where the bull was when I shot, as you can see, up close and personal.

picture.php

I was more than just a little excited.

After a short track job onto the face of the knob, I had my bull.

picture.php

I was pretty overwhelmed when I started carving this bad boy up. Being five miles from the pickup, alone, 120 lbs, and completely inexperienced in butchering elk, I was a little out of my league.

picture.php

Luckily I kept my cool and started cutting, about three hours later I had the bull cut up good enough, and the first load on my pack.

picture.php

Probably a little messy, but it worked.

picture.php

First load- Head, tenderloins, and backstraps.

Went back in today with my dad, boned out the rest of the carcass and hauled the meat out. Wolves are ridiculously thick in the area, and had gone in and checked it out throughout the night, but luckily left it alone.

I'm completely exhausted, kicking myself for shooting a bull like that so far back, but at the same time am extremely relieved, proud and satisfied with my season.
This bull died less than five miles from where I killed my first deer, almost ten years ago, and my first bear, three ago. Wouldn't want it any other way.

Way to go. You won't regret shooting that one. What you will regret is the season ending and you have a tag in your pocket.

A most memorable hunt!

I'm a newcomer to the forum but have years on me and wanted to say your story brings back great memories similar to yours. Congratulations on your success and hard work! The photos really helped your story evolve. Those steaks are really going to taste good!

Congrats sounds like a great hunt. Worth the work to be on a hunt like that.

You do look a little excited.

Easy elk are boring and not remembered for the years. Shoot them where they are, then worry about it.

Congrats on what sounds like a hard earned first bull. Even with the 5 mile pack I'm sure you would do it all over again.

You can only do something once for the first time. You'll always remember it with pride.

Great job.

G

exciting

The hike in, seeing a bunch of elk, the sneak, the reveal, the shot, the butchering, the pack, time with family-exciting bud.
You'll definately remember this first as you have the others.
Congratulations on the harvest and my personal kudo's for not being overwhelmed by the pack out!

Remember, its not the size of the bull that matters. What matters is that you hunted hard and did it right. Congrats on a great bull! I commend your hard work.

WOW! Appreciate the story and pics! Enjoyable following along in your hunt via this forum!

Cheers and Congrats Randy!

Glad you connected, I know you earned it!

The way my season is going, I'd be thrilled for a chance to shoot that bull right now in a nasty hole. I had my heart broken yesterday on a deer in the Bridgers, hoping for a rebound tomorrow.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back