Yeti GOBOX Collection

Final Day Archery Buck

smalls

It's hard to believe that archery season is already closing here in MT. I have dedicated the last six weeks to scaring elk out of sensible archery range. My lack of success in that arena is definitely not for lack of animals, but my ability to get within 100 yards of those bastages.

Since I'd spent all my time in elk country that was draw only for muleys, I haven't spent any time at all hunting for deer. After a last day, last ditch effort to find an elk w/in bow range failed, we took a drive into the area which I shot my muley last year. It was my pre-season goal to tag out on elk, deer, and antelope with my bow...none of which had yet happened. We glassed for about an hour with nothing but does out in the open. As we were headed out and headed home my buddy spotted one more deer and when we put the bino's up we could tell it was a buck. After looking at it a bit I decided it was more than good enough for my first archery muley.

We made the stalk and got directly under the buck in the timber. My pard ranged the deer at 42 yards...but it was at an extreme angle above us so I held my 30 yd pin just over his slightly quartering to shoulder and let my arrow fly. As soon as it hit I knew it would only take moments for the buck to expire. As it ran away there was an obvious spray exiting both sides of the animal. It ran out of sight but a loud crash was heard almost immediately after.

IMG_0570.jpg

This guy had a funky brow coming off of his 2-point side.

IMG_0573.jpg

You can see the damage that the Montec did going in. The arrow buried to the fletching after destroying both lungs and a rib on both sides.

I wish I had more pics but it was extremely hard to take photos where we were because the deer kept sliding downhill (the pics here don't do the angle of that hill any justice).

Smalls making it BIG !!!! Kudos man !!! Looing good, love the smile (And no, I'm not hitting on ya this time ;) )

Good job Bud !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back