Fatal grizzly encounter

Grizz are cool. We take risks when we enter their turf. Ya never know.
Grizz are what make a few places pretty damn special.
Dying in a grizzly attack would be horrific and terrifying. I feel incredibly sympathetic and sad for this man’s family.

Dying from morbid obesity without ever having experienced the country bears live in or having walked in bear country with all your senses on high alert and halfway freaked out seems way more tragic to me.

If you read about me meeting my demise at the claws and teeth of a grizzly, say a prayer for my family and comfort them with the assurance that I preferred to die experiencing what I loved than to never have had the experiences of spending time in that country.

I'm certainly no expert in bear attacks but it seems like the grizzlies in the lower 48 are a different animal than in Alaska.
Yes attacks happen in Alaska but in Montana you don't see grizzlies fishing alongside of fishermen.

I'm certainly no expert in bear attacks but it seems like the grizzlies in the lower 48 are a different animal than in Alaska.
Yes attacks happen in Alaska but in Montana you don't see grizzlies fishing alongside of fishermen.
Not a lot of salmon to gorge themselves on in Montana. Alaska they know where the easy meal is and it’s swimming at their feet. That’s where they waste their energy

I'm not sure if I read this on here but the victim's family lost their home to a fire just a few weeks ago. My condolence to them and prayers them all.

Pretty wild story of the victim. Too early isn't a factor anymore to me in griz land. It could happen anytime.

Hunting them isn't gonna slow anything down. Especially with quotas at 2 and 4 for huge areas.

I just can't believe that family suffered 2 tragedys like that.

I don’t think hunting grizzlies is going to have much of an impact on the number of attacks. Grizzly bears are a part of many areas of the west and should have populations in those areas. This is a horrible tragedy for this person and his family and should be treated as such. And there will always be potential for these attacks. That being said, when the populations in areas are high enough to support limited hunting, a hunting season should absolutely be instituted. They shouldn’t be treated like coyotes or elk are in MT and try to eliminate them, but they should be managed like all other species are. I think a having a MT grizzly tag in my pocket someday is about as cool as any hunt in the lower 48 could be.

Still on the endangered list guy. Seeing that you can’t bring the meat back (but thankfully donated to locals), it seems to me that the purpose of your endangered species hunt was for the horns?
Cape kudu on the endagered list? What have you been smoking? They are as abundant in South Africa as whitetails are here. And no, the meat is not "donated to locals." Again, you don't have a clue. Not remotely.

Each time someone is attacked is a tragedy. Like said earlier it was most likely the case they both surprised each other. In that case the bear wins most of the time (until it gets put down later). Without hunting they are going to have to keep expanding into more and more areas. This will lead to more stories like this. The game and fish are already killing more than would be allowed in either state. Hunting may not stop an attack but at least someone would be able to use it other than letting the state just shoot it. Then they can get some more money to manage them as well.

Over the years I am seeing more and more each year, last year I counted five out hunting.

Just waiting for some expert to start claiming that global warming is to blame.
Seriously, I watched a program about the increased shark attacks in Australia and in the end they blamed it on global warming. They didn't explain how, they just left it at that.
The thought about global warming playing a role in the increase in shark attacks in Aussyland is that the changing (increasing) ocean temperatures are changing where sea creatures live and how they migrate and things follow their food sources.

Shark food sources are staying further south and closer to shore so that's where the sharks are going and there they are encountering more humans, and thus, attacking more humans.

You're welcome.

The thought about global warming playing a role in the increase in shark attacks in Aussyland is that the changing (increasing) ocean temperatures are changing where sea creatures live and how they migrate and things follow their food sources.

Shark food sources are staying further south and closer to shore so that's where the sharks are going and there they are encountering more humans, and thus, attacking more humans.

You're welcome.
Not buying it.
Broad spectrum explanation.
What food sources exactly ?
Nothing specific.

You're welcome.
Similarly, global warming means older bears are living longer = more bears than "normal." They wake earlier in the spring with more lard still on their bones so they go to bed in the fall with more lard on their bones. Fewer of them die during hibernation. When I was a young man a 500 lb black bear was a freak monster. Now they're up to 800 lbs!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back