MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Fatal grizzly encounter

The fact that they are migrating further south, coming into towns etc is reason enough for these states to want to delist them. Thankfully, a bunch of people who study them make this decision. 👍🏻

I don't think there is any disagreement here that they should be delisted.

The purpose of delisting and impact of post delisting harvest is another story though...

I don't think there is any disagreement here that they should be delisted.

The purpose of delisting and impact of post delisting harvest is another story though...
Sure. I completely agree. That’s why I said it can be reassessed/readjusted each year.

Just so I can understand where you’re coming from, your solution is never for anyone to hunt griz in the L48?
Just so I understand where you're coming from, you think killing them will stop attacks?

There are more people in the woods and more bears. Killing a handful of bears isn't going to stop attacks from happening, hunting season or not. How many bears are shot in WY every year? 40-60? What is the proposed quota? Half that? Seems like the fear should be there already.

We shoot a couple thousand grizzly here every year, yet we still have maulings. Every year. Putting the fear of man in them sure doesn't seem to be the solution. Hard for them to pass on the word when their dead

Just so I understand where you're coming from, you think killing them will stop attacks?

There are more people in the woods and more bears. Killing a handful of bears isn't going to stop attacks from happening, hunting season or not. How many bears are shot in WY every year? 40-60? What is the proposed quota? Half that? Seems like the fear should be there already.

We shoot a couple thousand grizzly here every year, yet we still have maulings. Every year. Putting the fear of man in them sure doesn't seem to be the solution. Hard for them to pass on the word when their dead
Feel free to re-read my posts. My concern primarily is delisting them. Have a great one!

Sad deal.

Hunting them isn't going to change their behavior. We hunt them all year long here and they still maul people. A huntig season in the the L48 would be on an extremely low quota. Putting the fear of man in them, means conditioning them to know they'll very killed? How do you do that if you kill them? 🤔
I don’t think you condition them exactly. But maybe you are taking the less timid bears that don’t turn tail and run at the first whiff of human since they will be the easier ones to get on 🤷. Not saying that’s what would happen more just thinking out loud.

I don’t think you condition them exactly. But maybe you are taking the less timid bears that don’t turn tail and run at the first whiff of human since they will be the easier ones to get on 🤷. Not saying that’s what would happen more just thinking out loud.

100% that's how we would do it with a significant harvest. When grizzly hunting comes to Montana the constraints will be such that we won't be able to create a selective pressure strong enough to influence the population.

Grizzlies (thankfully) are not herd animals. I’ve never understood how killing individual bears will teach the other bears to fear people.

I look at it like coyotes. Your less timid ones are easier to kill. Maybe that’s what happens for the grizzlies when there is a season. The less timid ones get shot and the ones that turn tail do what they do best.

I don't know anything about the victim.
I do know there is a significant increase of people recreating in grizz habitat. No data to support this claim for you sticklers, going by 35 years of my own time in bear country. Further, in recent years I have noticed an uptick of adventurers that appear to be quite oblivious to some of the hazards that exist (in this case bears).
Hiking or trail running with ear buds would be about the dumbest act. Moving around in bear country demands intuition and a level of attentiveness, something many people lack.
More people, more bears = more encounters.
I am all for delisting, instituting a grizz season. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot in self defense. But killing bears won't change a thing.
Sad situation, maybe just an unlucky encounter, but in any case best to keep your chit wired tight. Suckers are cranky right now.

I don't know anything about the victim.
I do know there is a significant increase of people recreating in grizz habitat. No data to support this claim for you sticklers, going by 35 years of my own time in bear country. Further, in recent years I have noticed an uptick of adventurers that appear to be quite oblivious to some of the hazards that exist (in this case bears).
Hiking or trail running with ear buds would be about the dumbest act. Moving around in bear country demands intuition and a level of attentiveness, something many people lack.
More people, more bears = more encounters.
I am all for delisting, instituting a grizz season. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot in self defense. But killing bears won't change a thing.
Sad situation, maybe just an unlucky encounter, but in any case best to keep your chit wired tight. Suckers are cranky right now.
As they move into the area I'm in, I see conflicts coming. Being bear aware here isn't a concern. Yet. mtmuley

When I get out my crystal ball, I do not see a Grizzly bear hunting season in the lower 48 anytime soon. I agree they should be delisted and have no problem with the hunting of them.

However, there are many people, willing to litigate that will pester every hunting season proposed. It costs considerable money to fend off the law suits. It is cheaper and easier to just forego a hunting season and have FWP kill the individual bears that cause too much trouble.

With cougars hunters like to take the big males that are old and wise and know humans are bad news so they don't ;&$! with livestock.

Then, without the big cat keeping the young stupid males out they move in and mess with livestock and aren't afraid of humans. Not a good thing.

Hopefully the same doesn't happen with the grizz.

With cougars hunters like to take the big males that are old and wise and know humans are bad news so they don't #*^@#* with livestock.

Then, without the big cat keeping the young stupid males out they move in and mess with livestock and aren't afraid of humans. Not a good thing.

You are smart. mtmuley

With cougars hunters like to take the big males that are old and wise and know humans are bad news so they don't #*^@#* with livestock.

Sure some of that will happen. But cat hunters have the advantage picking what tracks to chase and evaluating once it’s treed. I think grizzly hunting will be a little different. Maybe not.

I look at it like coyotes. Your less timid ones are easier to kill. Maybe that’s what happens for the grizzlies when there is a season. The less timid ones get shot and the ones that turn tail do what they do best.
In theory I agree, I just don’t think we’ll ever kill anywhere near enough bears to actually have an impact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back