Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fatal grizzly encounter

Totally. Never said to send them to extinction. Just said it’s time to delist and open up hunting season on them, and put a little fear into them.

How many tags do you expect they'll give for that? I'm sceptical that the 20 or so tags they give in that season will have any impact on grizzly behavior.

How many tags do you expect they'll give for that? I'm sceptical that the 20 or so tags they give in that season will have any impact on grizzly behavior.
No clue. I’m not a biologist. I’m sure they’ll handle things appropriately. Good thing about it, is that each year they can always re-adjust.

Totally. Never said to send them to extinction. Just said it’s time to delist and open up hunting season on them, and put a little fear into them.
Bear is innocent until proven guilty. Haha. Hey serious note, these predators have no fear of man. Hunting season needs to open up on them.
There is no empirical evidence that hunting increases fear of humans in grizzly bears.

Grizzlies mostly attack when they are surprised and defending cubs or food.

Grizzlies evolved on open praires and so have more of a natural response of standing their ground when faced with a threat.

How will hunting change that? What will a dead bear learn?

At what point is enough grizzly bears for you? They’ve been on the endangered list long enough. I guess Montana, Idaho and Wyoming wanting to delist them is outta of ignorance on their part?
Nope. Delisting grizzlies and hunting a few of them is a great idea. I plan to shoot the first one if I am lucky enough to draw a tag.

The few that will be killed from hunters when they are delisted won’t change their nature or keep mailings from happening.

Grizzly bears kill humans because they are grizzlies and in certain circumstances are very dangerous. They don’t kill humans because they aren’t conditioned to fear them. They kill humans because occasionally their territorial instincts or protection of food source or cub instincts overcome their aversion to humans. In those instances, a human usually comes out on the losing end of the encounter unless they have the ability to stop the attack.

There is no empirical evidence that hunting increases fear of humans in grizzly bears.

Grizzlies mostly attack when they are surprised and defending cubs or food.

Grizzlies evolved on open praires and so have more of a natural response of standing their ground when faced with a threat.

How will hunting change that? What will a dead bear learn?
My real concern is not “what” the bears will learn, but rather bring the population under control. Which, is exactly the reason why hunting is a good thing for all critters small and large. Which is also the reason I buy a wolf tag with my elk tag.

Something like 100 grizzlies died in the last 2 years. That's maybe greater than 5% of the GYE population each year.

When harvest occurs it won't be more than 15 or 20 bears per year. We aren't reducing populations taking 1-2% out through hunting, and I don't think population reduction will be a winning argument in the long run.

The hardcore bear folks will eat that argument up.

My real concern is not “what” the bears will learn, but rather bring the population under control. Which, is exactly the reason why hunting is a good thing for all critters small and large. Which is also the reason I buy a wolf tag with my elk tag.
Do you like the taste of wolf?

Sad deal.

Hunting them isn't going to change their behavior. We hunt them all year long here and they still maul people. A huntig season in the the L48 would be on an extremely low quota. Putting the fear of man in them, means conditioning them to know they'll very killed? How do you do that if you kill them? 🤔

Sad deal.

Hunting them isn't going to change their behavior. We hunt them all year long here and they still maul people. A huntig season in the the L48 would be on an extremely low quota. Putting the fear of man in them, means conditioning them to know they'll very killed? How do you do that if you kill them? 🤔
Just so I can understand where you’re coming from, your solution is never for anyone to hunt griz in the L48?

But yet you have no problem going to Africa on your safari hunts and taking game that belongs on the savannah. As long as it doesn’t affect you, because it’s not in your backyard?
You're right, you don't have a clue.

Last edited:
You don't have a clue.
Sure don’t, especially because the Kudu in your profile picture deserved to die, but grizzly, wolves and cougars deserve to overrun Montana?? And yet, you have no issue hunting Kudu?

A simple Google search “are African kudu endangered” will bring you to many sites that say things just like this…

Attachments

• B033E2F6-317F-44AC-9D6A-363F5585FCEB.jpeg
    B033E2F6-317F-44AC-9D6A-363F5585FCEB.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Sure don’t, especially because the Kudu in your profile picture deserves to die, but grizzly, wolves and cougars deserve to overrun Montana.
Nice job taking things out of context. So mature. If it came to choosing between grizzlies and cougars overrunning Montana or transplants and real estate developers, I'll go with the four-legged predators.

I hunt a long, long ways from any African "savanahs." Kudu are free ranging but most of the animals are the property of the landowners. They manage them to be harvested. The properties are also managed for that purpose, i.e. very large and undeveloped. The property where that kudu was killed comprised 36,000 acres. Two ranch complexes and no other settlements or McMansion developments.

Bringing the "population under control" is the debatable part here. What does that even mean or look like? Way different for everyone, managing for social carrying capacity, not biological

Nice job taking things out of context. So mature. If it came to choosing between grizzlies and cougars overrunning Montana or transplants and real estate developers, I'll go with the four-legged predators.

I hunt a long, long ways from any African "savanahs." Kudu are free ranging but most of the animals are the property of the landowners. They manage them to be harvested. The properties are also managed for that purpose, i.e. very large and undeveloped. The property where that kudu was killed comprised 36,000 acres. Two ranch complexes and no other settlements or McMansion developments.
Still on the endangered list guy. Seeing that you can’t bring the meat back (but thankfully donated to locals), it seems to me that the purpose of your endangered species hunt was for the horns?

But yet you have no problem going to Africa on your safari hunts and taking game that belongs on the savannah. As long as it doesn’t affect you, because it’s not in your backyard?
Visiting a place is way different than buying chunks of wild lands, developing, building mansions, and driving up real estate costs for the local average joe working class folks....

Bringing the "population under control" is the debatable part here. What does that even mean or look like? Way different for everyone, managing for social carrying capacity, not biological
The fact that they are migrating further south, coming into towns etc is reason enough for these states to want to delist them. Thankfully, a bunch of people who study them make this decision. 👍🏻

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back