Yeti GOBOX Collection

Factory ammo

Gr8bawana

It seems like the majority of you guys are handloaders. I don't shoot enough to justify the reloadig setup and I am not a long range shooter. I would say 99% of my shots at game are under 400 yards. I just use Remington Core-lokt ammo and have never had a failure in 35 years of hunting.
I'm just wondering how many of you guys are like me and shoot only factory ammo and what kind of results you have had.

If I can get a gun to shoot really well with factory ammo I don't even think about reloading because I'm lazy. That said I love to reload when I can do a batch. I just don't like making up a bunch of different loads to experiment. I just like getting the scale calibrated and the seating die set and just go.

I especially like factory ammo when I can find the bullet I would be reloading anyway.

I only use factory ammo as well. I do, however, only use non-lead ammo and therefore its pretty pricey factory ammo. I found a load that shoots about MOA in my rifle and has great results on game and that is enough for me. Its kind of like tying flies. Its pretty cool and good topic of conversation ( as well as something to get nerdy with), its just hard to justify financially.

All my rifles, as well as my wife's rifle, shoot Federal Fusions. My 300 win mag shoots Federal soft points, which are pretty much core lokt's.

I shoot only factory loads up to this point. I've got some favorites, but I've learned to let my guns dictate what I shoot.

This season I shot five different factory loads at 400 yards to see which would give me my best groups at field like conditions. Surprising to me plain old remington corelockts gave me the best group by far. My kids and I shot multiple animals with them this year.

However, after making a batch of deer bologna and finding lead fragments in the processed meat, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go back to Barnes Vortex with a TTS. It was next in line for accuracy and I'm not keen on the idea of eating lead if I don't have to.

I reload some and shoot some factory. Both my 06's like Federal Trophy Copper 180 grain. My 7 mag shoots anything, but the last few years it all been Federal with TSX 160s and now trophy copper in 150s.

My wife and I shoot only factory ammo. I've spent lots of time on the range with many different brands of ammo. My .270 and my .300 Win. like the Federal Fusions far better than anything else. Her 7mm-08 prefers the Federal Premium with Nosler Partitions. I am very happy with the performance of the Fusions on Whitetails and elk.

I reload almost exclusively, except for one rifle. Try as I may i either got velocity, or I got accuracy, never both. Found it liked Winchester white box 180gr semi-spitzers and nothing else, so I just gave up on the reloads for that rifle.

I'm not a reloader and wonder same at times.
I use what works best in my old 700 -06.
Basic core locks moa, Fed trophy w/Barnes TSX ,sub moa ,
now that those were discontinued, Nosler Trophy w/AB's way sub moa....
Oh,and 165's over 150's or 180's.

I haven't shot a factory loaded centerfire round in over a decade. I'm not a big tinkerer with it, just find what works well enough and make 'em as I need 'em. That said, reloading can make all the rifles you do have more "interesting"...

I don't shoot rifle that often, but when I do......I buy factory. I was thinking about your question because last summer I shot Prairie dogs for the first time and I am hooked. It's not hard to go through 200+ rounds if you find a good dog town. The .223 shot factory rounds very well.

good luck to all
the dog

Factory ammo and I've never shot past about 330 yards. Federal Premium Partitions and Gamekings and Winchester Silvertips have worked well for me.

No factory here. Cept .22 LR. If you shoot numerous rifles a lot, factory cost becomes prohibitive. Especially in some of the bigger cartridges. I like the control I have instead of shooting something out of a box. In addition, I can load combos no factory offers. mtmuley

I used to shoot a lot of rifle and most of it reloads. I reloaded a lot of rifle, pistol and shotgun rounds. Today, I mostly shoot factory on the DPMS .223, Factory with the Browning BAR but will be shooting reloads for the 300 win mag. I will be trying out the new Hornady e-tips and the Berger 215's and going with whatever one shoots the best. I am getting better than 1 inch groups at 100 with Factory Winchesters but that bullet dies off at 700 yards and I bought this rig to go farther than that. Im honestly looking forward to getting back into reloading. I miss the work and I think all that time on the range perfecting loads also makes me a better shot.

I only reload for quantity. I started with 44 because of the cost I could get set up and make the money up after a year of shooting and I don't shoot that much. I did that for a year or so and then we moved houses. In the move we got robbed and they took my duffle bag that had a lot of the components.

I hadn't reloaded for 4 years but I just started again. I added 300 Blackout to the mix, again it is a caliber I am going to shoot a lot.

Most of my hunting rifles I have just used factory ammo. I haven't killed anything over 300 yards myself.

I personally think that if you're shooting 300 yards or less, you can get away with factory ammo. It's when you're shooting long range that you need to tinker and get things exact to your liking. I feel if your rifle likes a certain ammo, then shoot it. But, I know a lot of guys that handload as more of a labor of love, so to speak, to have a part of the whole process of the hunt from beginning to end.

I haven't shot factory ammo in my hunting rifles for years, other than some target shooting just for initial sighting in or because I needed the brass to reload. But I do keep a fair amount of both 270 and 30/06 on hand, in the cheap Winchester Power Points. My 270 Browning A Bolt just loves those Power Points. It will shoot both the 130 and 150 grain into less than an inch every time.

Back