Ever lose your mojo after a bad guiding experience?

davinski

I find myself not super excited about hunt planning and applications this year. I know it's a combination of things from being a new empty nester w/no kids to guide to getting older and slower to knowing just how crowded the woods are getting. But every time I think about all the fantastic experiences I've had in the field, mostly DIY stuff with friends, family, or solo, I still keep going back to some negative experiences from last fall. Very few, in the overall grand scheme of that trip, but I can't help think it's taking some of the wind out of my sails. First world problems, I know.

I'm trying to steer toward new hunts and areas rather than the same areas I've been hitting for years. I have a pile of pronghorn points but I've never hunted speed goat so am toying with that idea.

Turkey hunting is fast approaching and I'm normally pretty jazzed about planning for that, but not this year. Anyone else got any ideas for getting one's mojo back? I have to stick to critters on the ground or in the water, I can't hit a thing in the air.

Thanks.

The times I’ve suffered temporary burn out was usually because I over did it and suffered too much yet still came home empty handed. This is why I’ve gotten away from back country elk hunting for the most part (in general OTC units at least). The older I get, the more I like some comfort and now, find myself excited for some things that are peripheral to the hunt. I enjoy not just exploring the nature itself, but staying in the little motels and eating at the local diners and breweries. I still get up early and hit it hard, but it’s so nice to have a good meal, hot shower and comfy bed waiting for me and gives me strength to repeat the process the next day. And in the end, if I eat tag soup, at least I met some cool people, saw some little towns with character and have other memories rather than just kicking my own ass solo in a damp tent after hiking hard all day.

I find myself not super excited about hunt planning and applications this year. I know it's a combination of things from being a new empty nester w/no kids to guide to getting older and slower to knowing just how crowded the woods are getting. But every time I think about all the fantastic experiences I've had in the field, mostly DIY stuff with friends, family, or solo, I still keep going back to some negative experiences from last fall. Very few, in the overall grand scheme of that trip, but I can't help think it's taking some of the wind out of my sails. First world problems, I know.

I'm trying to steer toward new hunts and areas rather than the same areas I've been hitting for years. I have a pile of pronghorn points but I've never hunted speed goat so am toying with that idea.

Turkey hunting is fast approaching and I'm normally pretty jazzed about planning for that, but not this year. Anyone else got any ideas for getting one's mojo back? I have to stick to critters on the ground or in the water, I can't hit a thing in the air.

Thanks.
I’m sorry to hear this. I have a similar issue. I used to want to be out alllllll the time and for some really minor “me” reasons I just don’t have the motivation like I always have before. I know that an exhilarating stalk will make me happy and remember why I do it. PRE-hunt though, is tough lately to find the excitement.. I think going to a new spot is a great idea. One that I’ve been tossing around too. You never know what cool stuff you’ll see or find along the way, and it’s almost always a positive reminder, if you can get away from the crowd. Good luck and stay chipper. It’ll be another fun season. I’m sure of it

I definitely have been through times when I had to almost start over and redefine who I was a hunter. I hunted whitetails on private pretty seriously in late teens and early 20s. Then I made my first trip west and shot a muley and it didn’t seem interesting around here as much. I got into duck hunting pretty hard and did that for 10 years. Then I lost a good duck dog and once again I kinda started over by getting back into western hunting almost exclusively and then in the last couple years I’ve gone on western trips and hunted public around home. I think it’s better to slow down, change lines and start again than it is to quit or burn out. That’s not just for hunting but with regards to life in general. I’m nearing a point where I realize I no longer want to be in the career field I’m in and I’m not gonna burn out and be the negative guy at work who hates his job. I’m going to change lanes.

I understand the focusing on the negative part a bit. I tend to do it more than others I guess, but it’s more in a way that’s geared towards learning and not making the same mistakes twice. I see other people that have, say, a poor shooting year, and they seem to just move on a lot easier than I would.

As far as not getting as excited as in the past, I get that too sometimes. Things we do every year kind’ve lose some luster, but I find if it’s something I really enjoy I might not look forward to it as much but I still really enjoy it while I’m doing it. If I don’t enjoy it in the moment at all anymore I just don’t do it anymore.

Mule deer hunting has lost a lot of its luster for me. I used to really enjoy it even when I went out and saw little bucks and does I wasn’t going to shoot I was happy. As numbers have continued to drop in a lot of the places I hunt, I’ve really taken to WT hunting in places that have a lot higher deer densities. I get excited by that now, even though there’s not a lot of good bucks around. I feel zero guilt, and I’m quite happy killing any legal WT. So yeah, maybe try and change things up a bit, and if you truly don’t enjoy something anymore on a consistent basis, I don’t think there’s really any guilt in walking away from it.

Not catchimg on to what a bad guiding experience has to do with OPs mojo for DIY component of hunting and I have almost no experience being guided…somaddressimg more the mojo issue generally.

I am not smart enough to hunt the same spots in repetition and thereby foster consistent success with one animal in one hunt unit. In reality I just enjoy new areas, critters and experiences despite the obvious reduction in ‘success rates’ that causes. I could imgine losing interest if I had a small set of same ole same ole hunts where I hunt the same animals in same spots basically the same way over some years.

The excitement of regularly grabbing tags for new areas, states and critters always motivates me as I put in the effort to learn what I need to learn to give myself a good chance to make a good effort and have a ton of fun in the process

So I guess burn those lope points and if for Colorado be careful to not burn them where the population just got creamed by a hard winter still unfolding.

If not already, OP might consider applying for other states and hunts and species and experience the newness and challenge of starting from scratch. Checking out new hunting grounds, sometimes a day or more away is always an energizing thought to me.

Last edited:
I am totally focusing on hunting with other people and enjoying that more. Despite my goals I pretty unlikely to shoot a giant mule deer and lack the motivation to pack an elk very far. But it’s really fun to spend time with new folks and especially to take someone new hunting and realize that their success is mine also. Sounds cheesy but it works

I am watching the sunrise over a lake as I type this. Honestly, I never get tired of seeing nature’s beauty. It’s absolutely therapeutic for me.

The old saying is “the journey is the destination“. I am fine having tag soup as long as I can get outside and try my luck.

Yeah and then I get home look in the mirror and yell at the guide. LOL

The last year has brought into perspective my outlook at life in general.

I now kick myself for not putting in for deer this year. I could easily just sit a travel lane in the morning.
That and seeing some big bucks last week. LOL
The wood guy just said what I knew too. Their in there, just hard to find.

I'm going through Fishing burnout right now . Used to live for fishing the ocean , looked at the weather every morning hoping to go out . Now I don't have the desire to go . talk myself out of it , and think about selling the boat . But I hope it's just an Ebb and Flow thing , LOL

One of the things i do to keep drive high is scout. This time of year hopefully you hit something in a draw and while waiting i am getting gear in working order and fixing things as needed. Once draw results start hitting work on scouting those hunts, if you dont draw put that energy into a otc (or general) hunt. I love learning new country and all the scouting/camping/hiking in summer when less people and more solitude is enjoyable. Take a fishing pole, maybe a camera, the family dog and just go explore like a kid again. One unique thing i have learned is typically i like hunting 2nd week or later in most seasons if option, lot less people and more enjoyable for my style. If none of this works take up golf!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back