Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Emergency kit list

VAspeedgoat

Well, I'm getting down to the final planning for my first mule deer hunt this fall. We will be in the mountains in late October. I have every intention of covering some distance from the nearest road. I have a long list of items I was thinking of putting into my emergency kit. Although other threads have touched on this I was hoping to put up my list and let those of you with much more experience tell me what to add or delete.

Electric tape
Super glue
Gauze
A few band aids
Mole skin
Ace bandage
Tylenol
Lighter
Waterproof matches
Wet fire
Water purification tablets
Power bar
12 ft para cord
Poncho
Emergency blanket
Pocket knife

All of that would be in addition to maps, compass, gps, flashlights, etc.

Last edited:
I have a good length of gorilla tape I carry instead of electrical tape, band aids, mole skin, or super glue. I like to try and use one thing for multiple applications. I also carry a handkerchief for the obviouse and as gauze if need be. I'd go with at least 20ft of true para cord if not 50. A whistle is a good idea also with a built in mirror.

Also, I would never rely on a lighter to be your only means of a fire, especially in the mountains. I carry two ways to start a fire. A blast match and storm matches w/ some wet fire cubes.

Good initial list.
No need for gauze,
band aids, and/or
the pocket knife.
I would take more cord - to fix a pack, hang meat or tie off that e-blanket.
Flashlights are a PIA, get a headlamp.
Drop the poncho too - October = snow most likely?
-
I always carry a Wyoming saw.

Hand sanitizer
Zip strips
NSAIDS ( ibuprofen/Naprosyn) if you can use them, instead of or in addition to Tylenol
Triple antibiotic with pain reliever ointment
Dental floss ......it ain't only for dental hygiene
Signal mirror (1/4 CD ROM disc is pretty handy)

For fire starters, I buy coins sleeves then stuff them full of dryer lint and dip them in melted wax. Lightweight and work well. I also carry a "quick clot" bandage.....just in case. Just a couple possible suggestions for your kit.

Actually, October rain is more deadly than snow. Surprisingly, lighters don't work well on really cold, wet days. I was so mad when I found this out that I stayed warm, however. I now use one of these fire strikers and carry a couple balls of cotton rubbed with Vaseline to catch the sparks. I also have some newspaper rolled around some matches and covered in wax in case I lose the striker.

The striker post is made of magnesium or something similar so if you shave off a small pile you can throw a spark into it and start about anything on fire, but it takes practice and you can't have the wind blowing the shavings away.

The other thing I've learned the hard way is to carry a backup source of light. It's *&$# near impossible to change batteries in a flashlight when it is pitch black. I also had a bulb burn out on me once.

Chewable Pepto Bismal tablets have saved me a couple times when I've overdone it and feel like I'm going to puke if I take another step. I bring a few antacids too. Tweezers and a needle to dig out splinters.

I would also carry a Spot or PLB.

Ben Long had a thread on this topic but I can't find it.

Last edited:
I too would ditch the poncho. I second the notion of Gorilla/duct tape in place of the electrical tape and moleskin. IME duct tape is WAY better on foot blisters than moleskin and I've had some B&C level blisters. I only use electrical tape for my rifle's muzzle and keep the replacement on the barrel.

The gorilla tape definitely makes sense to replace those things, as well as more cord and whistle/mirror. Do you re roll it onto something like a pencil or can you get some sort of packable roll? I was going to use one of the windproof lighters similar to what cabelas sells. Should I still switch that out for a blast match or something similar? A roll of floss and neosporin are now on the list also.

John, definitely packin the good stuff. Although sage gives off a nice fresh scent it is a little abrasive for my taste.

Last edited:
I like my butane cigar lighter for starting fires...the thing will light anywhere, any time, and throws a nice solid flame.

Don't go too crazy with the toilet paper...lol The Walmart Great Value extra tough in the red package will do just fine and your fingers won't pop through it when you wipe, and you get 6 rolls for like 3.50....plus it's a good fire starter...lol

Last edited:
Maybe instead of the poncho you could trade it out for a sheet if visqueen. I've long carried one of these in my pack, you can quickly make an emergency shelter out of one that will withstand any downpour.

Another vote for Gorilla Tape over electricians tape, hands down.

I also include a needle and thread. Have used it to sew up a hole in pants and a strap before they got worse. Could also be used for a really bad cut if you had to. For thread I use "Fireline", fishing line.

The gorilla tape definitely makes sense to replace those things, as well as more cord and whistle/mirror. Do you re roll it onto something like a pencil or can you get some sort of packable roll? I was going to use one of the windproof lighters similar to what cabelas sells. Should I still switch that out for a blast match or something similar? A roll of floss and neosporin are now on the list also.

John, definitely packin the good stuff. Although sage gives off a nice fresh scent it is a little abrasive for my taste.
I wrap it around something, generally a waterbottle. Might consider getting a wide mouth nalgene or reuse a plastic PB jar and make sure most everything fits inside. It'd keep it in one place, weatherproof it, and give you someplace to put your tape.

Aspirin....it stops heart attacks too.
I'd take 2 rolls of elec tape over Gorilla tape anyday,smaller and works when wet..............sticks to itself.
50 ft of para cord....
Magnesium fire starter and lint soaked in vasilene in film can...along with water proof matches and a match safe.Always starts a fire....lighters get wet and fail.
They go in plastic bag and are with me all the time when I'm out in the woods.

Hand sanitizer? Seriously?
I'm way to old I guess.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back