Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Elk - Rifle vs Bow odds on public .

isu22andy

Ive shot my first muley and my first antelope the last 2 years on public land adventures but elk is the one critter thats got me overwhelmed. Here in Iowa by gun season the public becomes a war zone and the deer move off it for the most part. Your odds in my opinion are slim because the deer stack in private. With a bow though - in the rut you can kill some nice ones on public cause they follow the ladies and arent as blown off the public like they are during gun season . Find a funnel bench ect something that pinches deer movement and put your time in you will have a chance at a decent whitetail. Would this apply to elk hunting the west as well ? Or your odds just as good with a rifle? Obviously not tree stand hunting a funnel but Im talking weapon choice. I bow hunt and rifle hunt so really no preference to either weapon , rifles much easier to bag game but if the animals are blown off the public by the 2nd day of rifle season its not really an effective weapon anymore. Any experience or findings is helpful . Im starting to research for next year already but like I said Ive never even been on the mountains.... damn flat landers .

Success rates aren't as much effected by weapon choice as they are local conditions and geography. Some areas are very good during archery season and terrible during rifle and vice versa.

Generally speaking I don't think it's a good idea for first time solo hunters to target elk with a bow. Butchering and meat care for an elk is an order of magnitude more difficult when it's 75-80 degrees during the day and 50 degrees at night versus 55 during the day and 15 degrees at night. Furthermore you will likely have to track an elk shot with a bow a decent distance and this takes some practice. People do solo archery hunts all the time, but I don't recommend starting there.

You can find elk during any season, and I have yet to be in a position where all the elk were on the private. That said elk will move into places where it's difficult to get to them. Everyone says they are willing to "do what it takes" and "put in boot leather"... but 95% of guys are not, mostly because they have no idea what they are in for, I didn't.

I would pick a state, then go through the harvest rates, look for the seasons with the highest rates and then consider for each unit where the elk will be during that season. If a unit is 50/50 private and public, and has 60% success rates during a late rifle season that's because the elk are mostly on private. If a unit has good early rifle success rates, and low archery success rates, that typically means the elk are on public but up high in the mountains... meaning that most guys struggle to get close enough due to terrain. If rates are ~10-20% across the board then it's probably a timbered unit with not a ton of glassing spots so it's just kinda hit or miss whether you can find the elk. This isn't an exact accounting, I'm just trying to demonstrate how you need to think about the data points available, and then use those to your advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks . Archery sounds more enjoyable to me . I have killed my last 5-6 white tails in Iowa with a bow but elk is a different game . Again I’m going in with an open mind , if the odds are in my favor with a rifle I’ll go that route. Time to pick a state and do some research . Colorado sounds like a zoo .

In general, it's a lot easier to find elk during archery, it's also a lot harder to actually get one on the ground, Rifle seasons usually take a lot more looking around to find elk but once located the odds of closing the deal are pretty high... my opinion is that if seeing elk every day but not necessarily killing one is your preference go archery, if you are willing to not see anything for 4-5 days but get it done on the first elk you see go rifle... my feeling overall, and what is confirmed by harvest stats is that it's quite a bit easier overall with the rifle.

Admittedly I haven't dedicated as much time to elk hunting with a rifle, but I think it's much easier to get them during bow season. I've found that if you're after mature bulls they are much tougher to find and get to during rifle season. If you are after cows it can be an easier hunt but you're likely to witness a shit show which I don't find very enjoyable. That being said, if you're by yourself the weather will most likely be more favorable for keeping meat cool during rifle season. I have a lot of respect for guys that can consistently kill bulls during rifle season because I think its much tougher than killing elk during bow season.

While not having much experience bowhunting, I'd have to agree with most of the responses. From a pure "fun" factor, archery would probably be more enjoyable to be able to get into elk more consistently.

A few years ago I was heavily researching MT units. I heard the same thing from multiple biologists "the elk are up on the Forest during archery but most get chased off during rifle." Of course there will pretty much always be some elk on the public during rifle but they can be damn hard to find. I saw 3 bulls on that hunt I mentioned but they were in tricky spots to set up on and I never was able to get a shot.

I prefer hunting elk in the last 2 weeks of September. There are some places you can do that with a rifle. Most states that is an archery or Muzzleloader season.

I have never experienced a true "migration hunt" where the elk are trailing out of the mountains to lower ground. I'd like to see it some time just to experience that.

After having 2 bulls screaming at each other from 10 yards and having it vibrate my bones I'm sold on archery. Even If I never tag one I'm cool with that - I just like being in the mountains in September.

IM no expert but heres my 2 cents been on 2 rifle elk hunts and 4 bow and going back 2020 with my bow last 2 weeks of september are a special time in the elk woods and never had a bad trip even if I didnt fill my tag good weather great scenery and screaming bulls makes you feel young!!!! even if my body is telling me im old lol

After having 2 bulls screaming at each other from 10 yards and having it vibrate my bones I'm sold on archery. Even If I never tag one I'm cool with that - I just like being in the mountains in September.

Comments on this thread mirror what’s happening in CO, rifle tag sales are trending down, total elk tags are down a tad, archery tags are way way up, 400% up since 05’ in lots of units.

Not sure what the causeis... Instagram, meat hunters shifting to horn hunters, labor force shift to office work and folks wanting to roll hunting and camping trips into the same outting?

🤷‍♂️

Comments on this thread mirror what’s happening in CO, rifle tag sales are trending down, total elk tags are down a tad, archery tags are way way up, 400% up since 05’ in lots of units.

Not sure what the causeis... Instagram, meat hunters shifting to horn hunters, labor force shift to office work and folks wanting to roll hunting and camping trips into the same outting?

🤷‍♂️
My guess: few boomers grew up shooting a bow. Some of them who are serious hunters picked it up later in life as the technology improved and it expanded hunting opportunities. But among serious hunters under 45 years old a greater percentage pick up the bow early and stick with it. Looking at CO with fresh eyes, archery let's you get out ahead of the competition. You can hunt the same animals earlier and have a good chance of success. Those spikes from last year are fair game this year, and only so many of them will be around come Oct. Just look at WY black hills where some 80% of tag holders hunt archery. Wait until Oct and there is a serious disadvantage. It was a whole different game with primitive compounds and stick bows 25 years ago. Technology has really leveled the playing field with 60 yard accurate shots not unusual.

@ElkFever2 Lots of good points there, anecdotally I know lots of first time hunters who start archery elk, none who start rifle deer. I find that disturbing.

In 1995 releases were crap, arrows left much to be desired, rests were ok, and rangefinders were expensive. You had to be a gear pro to shoot long range. Nowadays anyone can do it pretty easily.

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack thread. If it's strictly a question of best odds of tagging out there are some, maybe not a ton, of units where bow is going to give you better odds due to hunting pressure, elevation, terrain, types of tags issued, and other factors. The odds that matter to me are animals seen/heard + close encounters. Every hunter is different though.

Personally
I can’t miss work in October.
Less of a chance of having to mess with snow.
Bows are neat. You can use them in your back yard.
There’s no rifle season in Illinois which makes it harder to invest in one.
Cameron Hanes smile.

Now please quit with the anti bowhunting rhetoric. You’re getting in my head and messing with my groups!

My preferred method depends on what season is open. When the experts on this site start posting their archery kills I think I need to be out there with a bow. When rifle season rolls around and people post their success I think I should be out there with a rifle 😜

But really I’m planning on going to archery/muzzy from now on (except potentially for a later season hunt in WY when I burn my points). Dad feels better And enjoys himself more if we don’t have to worry about getting around as much, and it’ll be more comfortable. I also like it being easier to locate them

Thank you for all the replies I appreciate it. Better start seriously practicing with the stick and string and switch to some fixed blade heads . I ain’t chasing no Iowa whitetail now lol

I wouldn't base the decision of rifle vs bow based on elk getting blown off public during rifle, as previously stated you just need to do the homework to figure out where that's happening. Clearly if a unit is all public with decent rifle success that's not the case. But, if you're planning to hunt next year, and you're looking for a bull hunt, your choices might be somewhat limit. Colorado is a zoo because anybody can buy a tag every year. Not many states have over the counter or one point bull opportunities. I know Colorado, Idaho and Washington do, but other than that your choices are probably pretty slim, maybe Montana? If you're willing to go antlerless, you might have more options, and even some that would allow archery and rifle on the same tag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back