Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Pioneer Elk

Hey Everyone,

Just a quick recap to elk season so far. Spent September bow hunting and had 3 separate encounters with Bulls but couldn't quite seal the deal. I am 0/8 on my elk attempts so far and looking to take advantage of what little opportunity I have left with my tag. With the bow now hung-up and archery season closed, my tag is now only good for cow elk (any weapon) through the end of October but only within 1 mile of private irrigated agricultural land, and it also includes a short window in early November for any cow with a muzzleloader.

Is there anyone with experience in the pioneer zone close to private land during that any weapon window? I have my eyes primarily set on 36A but am also open to the other units in the zone as well, I am just not familiar with the other areas whatsoever. Looking for any tips or guidance as I am just trying to piece together what little opportunity I have left around trying to fill my deer tag. Our normal elk spots are nowhere near private land so this is all new territory to me and I am not very familiar with the areas close to private. I am not opposed to putting in the effort and time, but I don't know what the odds would be this time of year with having to stick so close to those private areas, or if it would just be a waste of time and 4 hours of driving each way to consider it.

I'm not looking for any secret spots, just looking for some insight from anyone who might be familiar with the portions of my tag that I haven't ever considered or hunted on previously.
Thanks!

Sounds familiar. We hunted the Pioneers and got the skunk as well. We were in elk everyday and had a handful of close encounters. My buddy sent an arrow at 50 yards and missed on one of them. Nice bull too. I can't really help with the October hunt although it looks like unit 50 has some public adjacent to the ag fields. I'm not sure what access is like and/or if the elk would be in those areas that time of year, but you could get lucky. It would be cool to try with the muzzleloader in November. Good luck

I've spent a good bit of time in that unit during archery, but never for second chance rifle. Maybe give the game warden a call and see if he knows any farmers who would like them away from their alfalfa fields? Another idea that will take more elbow grease is to look on satellite imagery for pivot irrigation circles just down from promising mountain timber and knock on some doors.

As a related aside, they should offer archery inside Hailey city limits. Holy smokes. Nothing more frustrating that busting your a$$ going up and down those steep mountainsides for days on end, then coming back through that town and getting stuck in a traffic jam of endless elk blocking the road.

Sounds familiar. We hunted the Pioneers and got the skunk as well. We were in elk everyday and had a handful of close encounters. My buddy sent an arrow at 50 yards and missed on one of them. Nice bull too. I can't really help with the October hunt although it looks like unit 50 has some public adjacent to the ag fields. I'm not sure what access is like and/or if the elk would be in those areas that time of year, but you could get lucky. It would be cool to try with the muzzleloader in November. Good luck
Dang!! I had a raghorn 5 come in to 40 yards on the last day of season but he wouldn’t walk into any shooting lanes. Could only watch him through thick brush and tree branches and he walked off.

Hey Everyone,

Just a quick recap to elk season so far. Spent September bow hunting and had 3 separate encounters with Bulls but couldn't quite seal the deal. I am 0/8 on my elk attempts so far and looking to take advantage of what little opportunity I have left with my tag. With the bow now hung-up and archery season closed, my tag is now only good for cow elk (any weapon) through the end of October but only within 1 mile of private irrigated agricultural land, and it also includes a short window in early November for any cow with a muzzleloader.

Is there anyone with experience in the pioneer zone close to private land during that any weapon window? I have my eyes primarily set on 36A but am also open to the other units in the zone as well, I am just not familiar with the other areas whatsoever. Looking for any tips or guidance as I am just trying to piece together what little opportunity I have left around trying to fill my deer tag. Our normal elk spots are nowhere near private land so this is all new territory to me and I am not very familiar with the areas close to private. I am not opposed to putting in the effort and time, but I don't know what the odds would be this time of year with having to stick so close to those private areas, or if it would just be a waste of time and 4 hours of driving each way to consider it.

I'm not looking for any secret spots, just looking for some insight from anyone who might be familiar with the portions of my tag that I haven't ever considered or hunted on previously.
Thanks!
I live in Bellevue - on the border of the Pioneer zone. Only know unit 49, good elk numbers from Bellevue north and east, north of Carey.

I've spent a good bit of time in that unit during archery, but never for second chance rifle. Maybe give the game warden a call and see if he knows any farmers who would like them away from their alfalfa fields? Another idea that will take more elbow grease is to look on satellite imagery for pivot irrigation circles just down from promising mountain timber and knock on some doors.

As a related aside, they should offer archery inside Hailey city limits. Holy smokes. Nothing more frustrating that busting your a$$ going up and down those steep mountainsides for days on end, then coming back through that town and getting stuck in a traffic jam of endless elk blocking the road.
I have done a little bit of e scouting, I just don’t know what it looks like for elk in those areas this time of year. I might just have to mark a few spots on the map and find out for myself. It’s just a good 5 hour drive each way and I’d rather not do that to spend a day in an area where it could end up having absolute zero chance of seeing any elk 😅 I could try calling the field office and see what they have to say though, I didn’t really think about that!

I live in Bellevue - on the border of the Pioneer zone. Only know unit 49, good elk numbers from Bellevue north and east, north of Carey.
The only thing I’m up against is remaining within a mile of private irrigated agricultural land unless I wait for muzzleloader in November. Doesn’t look like there’s too much of that aside from the southernmost part of the unit and there doesn’t seem to be much timber down there.

The only thing I’m up against is remaining within a mile of private irrigated agricultural land unless I wait for muzzleloader in November. Doesn’t look like there’s too much of that aside from the southernmost part of the unit and there doesn’t seem to be much timber down there.
Go read the regs carefully - Only 36A is in the Aug 1 - Oct 31 cow season within 1 mile of ag.

Go read the regs carefully - Only 36A is in the Aug 1 - Oct 31 cow season within 1 mile of ag.
You are correct. That is the unit I am hunting. I didn't really make that articulation clear in regard 50 and 49 but those would only be valid if it was during the muzzleloader portion in early November, which I may consider if nothing else.

Ah sorry about that, I didn't go back and read the regs, just assumed the entire zone was the same. My bad!
It would be easier that way lol. I am considering the possibility of 50 with the muzzy though if things don't pan out through October. This weekend I am dedicating to trying to fill my deer tag though.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back