Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk repellant

Thanks guys, it is a serious question. Good to have a little fun with it too. The past two nights the elk have used my place as a feedlot. 60 head or so and they like my yard better than the hay field. mtmuley

Then contact MTFWP.

Just post a few of these pictures around... :)

image.php

The blood meal and urine are only going to give you very limited results. Your best option is a fence of some sort. The orange snow fence can work well, particularly if you couple it with the electric polytape option that was mentioned.

Propane scare guns work for about the first day until they get accustomed to them, then the effectiveness wears off pretty quickly. Plus, who wants to try to sleep with a scare gun going off in your yard every 15 minutes? Talk about not sleeping well.

Say the two guys who killed giant bulls this year :rolleyes:

I had to find a stupid one and shoot him with a rifle.

The only way I get elk within bow range is to drop my pants to take a crap, then I can bring them in to 10 yards no prob :)

I had orchards of fruit trees for years and the only thing I found to keep deer out was a deer fence, if the dogs weren't out patroling,German Sheperds in the orchard.
Wild pigs were impossible to keep out.
Elk are blacktails on steroids,with 4 times the size & strength. I have seen fighting bulls blow apart a welded pipe well corral/gaurd.Lots of smashed green gates around here. Or just lift a fence out of the ground like a longhorn does,lol. Or usually a herd just runs through a barbed wire fence,t-posts bent over.

I'm building one of old homestead juniper poles,w/4' no climb on bottom and 2 strands of wire above,8'ft. 400ft long.
One tip a old timer taught me is to make the fence LOOK as TALL as possible with additional real tall posts or limbs sticking up every 2-4' . mine will be juniper branch fence pickets(NM style)every foot or so attached and strengthened in obvious entry areas.
He also showed me how they can jump in downhill easy over a 9' fence,but not up and over.a 7'uphill.
Pickets or branches that lean out and over head,they will avoid.
I do get LO elk tags too now...............

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Appreciate the responces, both serious and not so serious. I am going to try some of the cayenne spray first. Fences don't deter elk if they really want something. FWP isn't an option, I have a whole 5 acres. It is odd that the elk would rather hammer my yard and landscape, than have at the rest of the place that is in grass hay. And, I had an elk B tag for the area, my yard included. They must have known as the season ended a coule weeks ago. mtmuley

Thanks guys. Appreciate the responces, both serious and not so serious. I am going to try some of the cayenne spray first. Fences don't deter elk if they really want something. FWP isn't an option, I have a whole 5 acres. It is odd that the elk would rather hammer my yard and landscape, than have at the rest of the place that is in grass hay. And, I had an elk B tag for the area, my yard included. They must have known as the season ended a coule weeks ago. mtmuley

LOL, my last 5 acre orchard cost me a small fortune to fence,but the trees produced so I bit the bullet. This new one is just so I can plant something around the house.
Try the pepper sprays ,they do work for short period.
And elk do seem to know...they disappeared the last time a guy came to fill his tag and missed. They where right back in neighborhood this month.

Is it legal to shoot them with rubber buck shot? I've used that on bear and it works. If you are going to hone your hunting skills, how about an achery blunt (big rubber, not the little metal ones). Is that even legal?

I own a Christmas tree farm. During the winter months, it's a constant battle keeping the whitetails out of my Fraser fir. Thank god, I don't have elk to feed too. I've had pretty good luck with two products. Liquid Fence and Plant Skydd. Both need to be applied far more often than is recommended on the package. Apply directly, and liberally, to each tree. The tougher the winter, the bigger the problem keeping them at bay. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back