Elk Pack Performance!

ElkNut1

What do you elk hunters here look for in an "elk pack" ? Like many here, I've used quite a few different ones & arrangements over the years from packframes to daypacks to internal frame packs & I have my favorites for both getting my daily supplies in & an elk out. I'm always looking for packs that fit my needs! I am very satisfied with my present X2 for all day hunts or short 2-3 day bivy hunts. I also have used a badlands 2200, it will go 5 days if needed. The nice thing about these 2 packs are they both have outside the pack meat carrying capabilities. I've packed elk on both & they both did very well even long distance hauls, either will pack 100# if you're up to it! (grin)

Years ago we only packed elk out with packframes but these days the external packs have taken their place in most instances no matter the distance, that seem to pack that well for us.

What does everyone else rely on for their choice of Pack?

ElkNut1

Started with an old military frame, then a Dwight Schuh pack for a few years. 10-12 other packs before I bought a Kifaru that has been my pack for the last 6-7 years. But bought a MR Crewcab to try out, didn't get to use it last year.

A lot folks on here aren't big fans of eberlestock, but I really like my J34.

Probably the only weakness to me is that it does weigh a little more than some of the higher dollar packs.

I have the Badlands 2200 as well but I wouldn't want to go on a 5 day hunt with it. I've had 50 pounds in it and it wasn't real comfy. I do like it for an over sized day pack. My crew cab is just so handy for when you knock and animal down. You already have a hauler pack at your disposal. I just wish it had a couple more standard small pockets built in. I know you can buy extra add on ones.
One key to comfortably hauling a heavy load is being able to keep it closer to your back. With crew cab you can really use all the cinch straps to distribute the weight up and down along your back while keeping it tight. You can haul a lot more sheds in them as well. (See Critters shed thread :D) I can't do the same with the badlands I have. I haven't tried any of the Kifaru or Eberle packs but I know guys really love them as well.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts guys!

When going in on a bivy hunt we take as little as stuff possible, we will take one pair of extra socks & that's it for clothing outside a thin layer or two we go in with or it's an extra for night time comfort but no jackets as they're too bulky! Other than that it's all food on the inside along with our every day hunting items such as elk bags, saw etc. On the outside we lash on tent, bag, pad. It's no problem to be in the 45# class with this load! So yes 5 days in a 2200 no problem! Less days for the X2 as it's a couple hundred inches less pack but a dream to hunt with & it easily will pack out a hindquarter on the bone & more which is carried on outside of pack!

We've had well over a 100# on both these packs with no issues at all, the X2 is my go to pack for hauling out quarters these days, I've packed several bulls with this one so far & 15-20 bulls on the 2200 & more than 80 on pack frames. I'll take the X2 in a heartbeat over a pack frame now! This works great for us! I've also packed quarters on the Blue Widow & no issues at all. I packed one bull out with a friends Kifaru because he said it was a dream to use so I tested it out, there was no difference in any of the Alaskans or Keltys in haul-ability or comfort. Then I used a bull-pac, it's a solid pack for sure but again no difference in feel at all. I'll take an internal frame over everything I've used & tested to date!

I'd like to test drive a Mystery Ranch someday & see the difference? I do agree that a load close to your back is best utilized but it's no deal breaker as long as the meat gets out! Personally, I do not want my meat in my area of the food & other supplies, I prefer they stay separated! I've packed out elk 100's of miles over the years & absolutely love it, I live for packing elk out on my back, the further the better & more challenging! I don't feel too wore out yet at 56 but I'm sure those days will be coming! (grin)

Let's hear about some other packs too! Anyone use that Oregon Pack, it looks to be a very good one, I'd sure like to take a closer look at one!

ElkNut1

I have a hollow leg and if I was gone 5 days my whole 2200 would be all food:D I don't know where I'd fit my tent and bag and then meat.

I agree you can't beat a internal frame for convenience and comfort. We use internals in Alaska and they are great. The most important for me is the protection from the rain and snow. You'll die up there if you gear is all wet. Of course you need a good waterproof pack cover. I haven't used any of MR's internal big guys just a NorthFace, Gregory, and Kelty. They have worked fine. Some are more comfortable than others. Mostly felt in the shoulder strap area.

I won't lie I don't live for a long pack out :D I'd rather go for a short pack to my horse then lead him out. Cruel but honest

The BL2200 compared to a MR is like comparing Ford to a Mercedes... I had a 2200 for one season, went on a couple 3-5 day trips with and sold it the next season. It was great for a day pack but for an extended pack??? No way. I couldn't imagine strapping a camp AND an elk quarter on that thing. It was painful to pack with 40-45lbs...

I have a MR crew cab and a 6500. For day packs/short weekend trips the crew cab is great. For extended trips and hauling big loads I'd much rather have the 6500. It seems to balance the weight better and carry better.

picture.php

This sheep load was 100+lbs... It would have been brutal in a crew cab... I'd like to try out the Longbow to see if its better than the crew cab.

picture.php

I have nothing but good things to say about my X2... almost. I do wish they would redo the waist belt pockets so they were easier to use but I have figured out ways to deal with it. I like the looks of the MR packs but I can't justify the price. I am looking at getting a larger pack this summer to do a 5+ day trip but I haven't figured out what I want it to be as of yet.

Ya, price is certainly a consideration but to date I've had no issues with the packs I presently use, I'm really surprised a few here feel the 2200 isn't an adequate pack for heavy loads! Not saying it's the best thing around as I've not used every pack out there but I wouldn't hesitate to load a regular hindquarter & front shoulder on that pack & head out, I've done this many times & it's about as comfortable a pack as it can be for the load on it. In all honesty I'd recommend that pack in a heart beat, it really is tough as nails! (grin)

Lawnboy, I too am a huge eater!!!(grin) My pack also is 80% food & it's never enough!!! I eat every 2 hours no matter what & put down quite a bit of liquid to boot & I seem to do fine for a lightweight! (grin)

Bambistew, you looked whooped, man I love that feeling!!!! That's where the best building of endurance happens, no pain no gain!!!!!

Thank You for the thoughts so far!

ElkNut1

I've compared both and there is no question the MR is luxury compared to the 2200.

I've used the BL2200 for the past 2 years and I'm just not that impressed. First elk hunt I shot a small bull. Tried to load both shoulders on the pack. Went to pick it up by the handle strap and the stitching ripped right out. Hoisted it on my back and it stuck so far out and pulled all the weight away from my body. I quickly realized I couldn't do that for 3 miles. Ended up taking one shoulder and backstrap out that load, then came back with the pack frame.

Next comparison was a deer hunt with a buddy who uses a MR crew cab. I had a half a deer in my 2200 and he had the other half in his. While trying both of them on with the same load, it was easy to tell which one was better. He let me use his spare MR on another elk hunt and packing out a heavy load of elk was no problem.

I'm also not a big fan of the way my rifle rides on the shoulder strap. Also several of the zipper pulls have broken.

So in other words, I WILL have a MR on my back this fall.

Well, you guys have my curiosity up on the MR, where do you put the quarters on the pack? I've seen photos of them but not with meat on them. Does it have a separate pouch away from your inside items & food?

For all-day hunts I like a smaller pack like the X2, it's under 2000" but with 100 oz bladder & all daily items it weighs 19#---When an elk is down the built in seat unfolds & the provided straps there will secure a good load of meat with no extra tying, it's loaded in seconds & you're on the way out! It's got a lower profile therefore in heavy timber & brush it never gets hung-up on branches or low hanging debris, that's a fairly important feature to me as a bowhunter!

On the MR what's the closest pack to 2000" to 2500" I'd never use a pack larger than that, at least I haven't to date! Thanks!

ElkNut1

Ok Elknut these are crude but will give you some idea as how it works. The first shot is collapsed. I actually have 4 game bags in there and some other left over hunting stuff. But this is how it might look just on a day hunt.
MR1.jpg

I threw 3 pillows in it. You can see that it has these side long wing pockets that can hold gear on the outside if your loaded with meat or what ever on the inside. You can see that it has all these cinch straps both on top, sides and on the bottom to snug that load up tight. Mine aren't tight obviously in this picture
MR2.jpg

Shot from the back. You can see that it has two pockets back here. You can see the top cinch straps well here. You can buy extra Load cells they call them that would hold more gear and they buckle on these top straps. I'd recommend looking at their website for better pictures :eek:
MR3.jpg

Finally the shot of the frame. This is the whole reason they feel good loaded. It isn't flimsy and can be adjusted to different torso lengths. This is the Nice Frame and the base for the majority of their packs. Once you have this you can purchase just the outer bag parts to their other larger packs and buckle them on in place of whatever pack you currently have.
MR4.jpg

Here's a link to a thread Randy started that will give you a even better idea of how they can be used. http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=245278&highlight=Crew&page=3

I've used an Alaskan for years, hauled many, many quarters, and camps. It has hauled my kid once. A fellow hunt talker said 'he had one too, has an MR now and it is no comparison'. I am saving my money for the Nice Frame and equivalent space, a Crew Cab I think? Appreciate the photos Lawnboy, sweet pack. (needs some dried blood imo :)

I've used an Alaskan for years, hauled many, many quarters, and camps. It has hauled my kid once. A fellow hunt talker said 'he had one too, has an MR now and it is no comparison'. I am saving my money for the Nice Frame and equivalent space, a Crew Cab I think? Appreciate the photos Lawnboy, sweet pack. (needs some dried blood imo :)

That pack has plenty o dried blood. Still stinks from not getting it totally clean from my Alaska caribou. Look close at the last picture and the belt. There's a little blood stain for you.:D I did learn something this year though. I never thought about unbuckling it from the frame and throwing it in the washer. That would be way easier than the big wash basin I've been using:eek:

Hey Lawnboy, thanks a ton for the photos & the other link too, those are some great shots of that pack in action. Great looking pack for sure!!! Hmmm, might need to get a closer look at the CC, that looks like the ticket! Hey, what's one more pack! (grin)

ElkNut1

Great post ELKNUT1. I was just wondering how much the MR cost. I am with most, try a lot of different packs and always looking for better.

I think it was about 6 years ago, I called Greenhorn on my way through Montana and asked him about packs. Without hesitation he told me to stop on my way through Bozeman and look at Mystery Ranch.

I was pretty sure at that time, that internal frame packs sucked and that the only thing to use was an external.

I stopped on my through Bozeman and looked them over, tried a few on and when I was in the store the crew cab had just come out. On my way back I stopped and bought a NICE frame with 2 bags, the 6500 and also a smaller one they called a penguin. I used the smaller bag for about a year at work then got a second NICE frame with a crewcab. I've used it for I believe the last 5 years. Its the pack I use the most...by far.

As to the durability of the crew cab and NICE frame...pretty darn good. I sat down and tried to figure out just how much I use the crew cab every year. I typically work in the woods 8 days each 2-week pay period and work in the field for 18-20 PP's a year. So, thats 140-160 days a year. I'd say in any year I probably hunt 30-45. I usally do bit of antler hunting and some misc. hiking for another 8-10 days a year. Basically, I'd say I wear my pack near 200 days a year give or take.

Its also fair to note that I've had my pack rolled on by a horse several times in the Frank Church...came real close to killing the horse. I've had the pack stuffed into the back of airplanes, strapped to a motorcylce last year a bunch, bouncing around in the back of the truck, atv's, etc.

I wouldnt say I'm extremely tough on that pack...but its a long way from being pampered either.

This is my pack that I took some pictures of about 5 minutes ago in the back yard...going on year 5 and by the years end I'll have over 1,000 days of use on this thing.

IMG_4354.JPG

I've not had a single buckle failure, not a single strap break, no zipper problems, nothing.

The ONLY thing I can see any wear on at all is right at the top of the straps on the flex point...you'll see it in this picture:

IMG_4356.JPG

I was burning through 1-2 new backpacks every year at work...this thing has 4 tough field seasons on it, plus all the hunting, etc.

I dont know of any other pack that would still be in this kind of condition after that much use/abuse.

I usually dont recommend many products, but I believe the packs I've bought from Mystery Ranch are worth bragging about. Its just a great product with an unbelievable warranty and the customer service I've received has been top notch.

The only regret I have is not owning them sooner...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back