Elk pack on a Budget??

If you are shopping for next season, hold back $20/week and you will have plenty for a top of the line pack for next fall. Buy once. I wish I would have, but used packs do make decent gifts.:D

Cabelas has a more than adequate Alaskan external frame pack for about $150.

I have one of these laying around somewhere, if you want to use it in the interim while saving for your final purchase. I also have some other brands laying around, if they have not been claimed by the scavenger camera guys who often make a pass through my used equipment piles.

If you are shopping for next season, hold back $20/week and you will have plenty for a top of the line pack for next fall. Buy once. I wish I would have, but used packs do make decent gifts.:D
This! Packs and boots are two things I spend the money to get what I want and need!

It's actually pretty simple, the cheaper you are the tougher you have to be.

This.
I have an Alaskan II. It works great. Not too comfy, but is my 'lucky pack'. Doubles / serves as a nice gun rest (external frame) for when I am aiming at what I plan to carry as well.

I purchased a used Eberlestock this year. It is comfy! Imagine MR's and Stone Glaciers are very light and comfy. Anyway, this pack has no mojo. I took it elk hunting hoping to abuse it. The pack carried water and grub and my gun just fine. I really like the gun scapboard. However, it was the worst elk hunt in almost 20 years. TAG SOUP. Never been shut out? So that unlucky pack might be for sale?

Lots of great advice here - and an awesome offer from Big Fin. I'd take him up on that.

I would like to point out that we're not just gear-whores and pimps for pack manufacturers (although my wife would argue the first point pretty hard). I've packed out more elk I can count in the last ten years - and most of them were with my Osprey 'Backside' (roughly 2800 cu in backpack). I bought it right around 2000 on a clearance rack (I paid right around 100 bucks for it). The last elk I packed with it was in 2011. The seams are separating - so now it's regulated to ski day trips.

I ended up getting a MR Crew-cab. I've packed out 4 elk with it now. I can seriously say that it was worth saving up for. It sounds like the other packs are worth it as well, but I have no first hand knowledge on it.

My advice - take Big Fin up on the offer and save for the year. If you are serious about hunting elk for the next 10 years - your back will thank you.

You can get a great deal on an ILBE any number of places.

It is a good pack

I currently or have owned what most consider the big 3 of packs and I will promise you that a new ILBE is as ''Bomb proof'' as the best in class and will comfortably carry as well as the other two.
Spend $75 on ebay get a new one try it out if you dont like it sale it and get your money back. I wish that I could do that with my other packs.

Just saw a used one for about 75 on Amazon...as much as I like mine, that is a great deal.

You might shop around a little, I found a unissued complete a couple months ago for $68 plus $10 shipping. Make sure that you get the complete pack,Bag,Stays,Belt and Lid.
If you are looking for a Bomb proof day pack, pickup the 3 day assault, it can be docked on the main ILBE for an extra 1500ci for longer stays in the back country.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back