Caribou Gear Tarp

Elk .... Let's see them!!!

Got my first bull elk a few days after the opener of general rifle here in Montana. It has taken me six years to successfully harvest a bull while DIY hunting on public lands. We spotted this bull from about two and a half miles away, so we made a move for that evening. The winds picked up and started howling at over 45mph, so the elk didn't come back out to feed. The following morning we stayed persistent, I went and sat 1/2 mile from where I last saw him feeding, hoping to be within striking range if he decided to come out to feed. He came to feed out on the meadow about two hours after first light. As he fed and mulled around the meadow, I worked my way closer. A few years ago I missed a bull, so I decided to get as close as I could, to ensure this opportunity wasn't wasted. I worked into 80 yards and made a double lung shot. He rolled 350 feet of elevation down to the bottom of the drainage where we worked him up and packed him out, uphill, 1700 feet. This was an amazing experience and I cannot wait to get back out next week to try and fill my buddies tag!
Congratulations! What an experience, and quite a pack out!

I hadn’t hunted elk for a couple years before the 2020 season. My buddy and I had an open weekend and picked up some leftover tags a few days before the opener. With a lot of miles and a bit of luck we both got elk on the ground and had the meat hung in my garage just 3 hours before we had to be at work at 5 on Monday morning...

Attachments

• EF3B9E75-C27E-4ED2-A7C0-AAEB2218AAF3.jpeg
    EF3B9E75-C27E-4ED2-A7C0-AAEB2218AAF3.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 2C53B7C5-7C70-49AE-B8BE-3D9BC6F1C02D.jpeg
    2C53B7C5-7C70-49AE-B8BE-3D9BC6F1C02D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch