Elk .... Let's see them!!!

First elk! New Mexico. Listened to him bugle all afternoon and finally came out 406 yards up the mountain, I had been practicing shooting off of sticks while standing but man was it a nervous thing trying to get solid before he took off an went over the ridge. One shot did it and he fell and started sliding, luckily (I guess) he got wedged in a tree on his slide down. Might have been better for him to slide to the bottom because it was a steep pack out. I was with my Dad the day before when he shot his first elk, it was an experience I'll never forget.

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1749.jpg
    IMG_1749.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Got my first bull elk a few days after the opener of general rifle here in Montana. It has taken me six years to successfully harvest a bull while DIY hunting on public lands. We spotted this bull from about two and a half miles away, so we made a move for that evening. The winds picked up and started howling at over 45mph, so the elk didn't come back out to feed. The following morning we stayed persistent, I went and sat 1/2 mile from where I last saw him feeding, hoping to be within striking range if he decided to come out to feed. He came to feed out on the meadow about two hours after first light. As he fed and mulled around the meadow, I worked my way closer. A few years ago I missed a bull, so I decided to get as close as I could, to ensure this opportunity wasn't wasted. I worked into 80 yards and made a double lung shot. He rolled 350 feet of elevation down to the bottom of the drainage where we worked him up and packed him out, uphill, 1700 feet. This was an amazing experience and I cannot wait to get back out next week to try and fill my buddies tag!

Attachments

• 250257408_4552725994795584_607443488754115522_n.jpg
    250257408_4552725994795584_607443488754115522_n.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 250333933_4552726004795583_5717743377400015090_n.jpg
    250333933_4552726004795583_5717743377400015090_n.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 250690771_4552725998128917_9202044709324731016_n.jpg
    250690771_4552725998128917_9202044709324731016_n.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 132
Got my first bull elk a few days after the opener of general rifle here in Montana. It has taken me six years to successfully harvest a bull while DIY hunting on public lands. We spotted this bull from about two and a half miles away, so we made a move for that evening. The winds picked up and started howling at over 45mph, so the elk didn't come back out to feed. The following morning we stayed persistent, I went and sat 1/2 mile from where I last saw him feeding, hoping to be within striking range if he decided to come out to feed. He came to feed out on the meadow about two hours after first light. As he fed and mulled around the meadow, I worked my way closer. A few years ago I missed a bull, so I decided to get as close as I could, to ensure this opportunity wasn't wasted. I worked into 80 yards and made a double lung shot. He rolled 350 feet of elevation down to the bottom of the drainage where we worked him up and packed him out, uphill, 1700 feet. This was an amazing experience and I cannot wait to get back out next week to try and fill my buddies tag!
Congrats!
Dandy bull.

That's one hell of a first bull. Hate to tell you this but it's all down hill from here now😉

Congrats.

JFC how many freezers do you have?

Nice bull man that's great!
just 3... First year in a long time I haven't shot 2 or more elk, amazing what a bison does to freezer space so had to make some sacrifices. I am whitetail hunting now, can shot 6 of them here. I will just shot 2 or 3. Lol

just 3... First year in a long time I haven't shot 2 or more elk, amazing what a bison does to freezer space so had to make some sacrifices. I am whitetail hunting now, can shot 6 of them here. I will just shot 2 or 3. Lol
That's awesome. My goal in 22 is to have a walk in meat cooler and add a second freezer as well.

NIce bull!

NVelk.jpg
Here is my Nevada bull. I waited 15 years to draw this tag. I scouted 1 day and hunted 13 days. This was the 101st bull I spotted on the last morning I was there. Although I never turned up Big Hank it made for a lifetime of memories looking for him. Every bull is a great bull and I'm very thankful for this one.

That is a helluva a first bull, well done!

Montana, September 6th, 2021. Killed him at about 8 yards as he was passing by me bugling the whole way. I had to literally take a knee I was shaking so bad haha. Only in September!!!

***if you notice the missing arrows in the quiver, I also have a hard time passing up grouse when I see them. Sorry not sorry.

Attachments

• Elk.jpg
    Elk.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 59
  • Elk2.jpg
    Elk2.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 59
2021 bull. Best day of the season by far was a day with my dad and watching him make a great shot on a big old cow. At 80 years old, could very well be the last elk he may have an opportunity at.

Attachments

• 20211119_105302.jpg
    20211119_105302.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 157
  • 20211122_084104.jpg
    20211122_084104.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 155
2021 bull. Best day of the season by far was a day with my dad and watching him make a great shot on a big old cow. At 80 years old, could very well be the last elk he may have an opportunity at.
What a special trip BRI, glad your dad got it done! Also, that looks like a cool bull, great job.

Reactions: BRI

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back