Elk Hunter Magazine and Extreme Elk

idahonative

Hey guys, there seems to be a lot of confusion over Elk Hunter Magazine and Extreme Elk Magazine. I'm the Editor for Elk Hunter Magazine, and this isn't a plug for ours or anything against theirs. Just hoping to help people understand who is who and what is what since I've heard people interchanging/confusing them a few times on here.
Elk Hunter Magazine is the one that has been out for a few weeks now, and Extreme Elk is the one that is coming out shortly.
Just for your information, here's a bit on both. You can go to the websites listed below to learn a bit about each:

Elk Hunter Magazine:
Editors: Randy Ulmer, Nate Simmons, Ryan Hatfield, Mike Duplan, Jay Scott, Chris Denham, Dan Staton, George Bettas, Remi Warren, Tony Bynum, and Paul "ElkNut" Medel.

Extreme Elk Magazine:
Editors: Corey Jacobsen, Cameron Hanes, Ron Nizoliek, Donnie Drake, Dirk Durham, Aron Snyder, Steve Chappell.

I can tell you right off that I'll be telling everyone I know not to be subscribing to either magazine that Chris Denham is affiliated with. More troubling is that there are other names affiliated with that magazine that I've lost a ton of respect for as well.

Any fuggin' idiot that would support SFW and their band of tag thieves is a disgrace to everything that the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation stands for.

Why is it so difficult for these people to do the right thing?

They've got themselves a small publicity problem a brewin'...

I would give Elkhunter Mag a few days. I've hammered them worse than most and I've come to realize he doesn't speak for the magazine. Nothing wrong with differing opinions within a company.

When he offers up an apology to the entire hunting public for his lack of support to the average hunter...you know that pesky group of guys that buy their magazine, I MAY reconsider.

Buzz,
This is not a short answer, but since it’s important, I hope you’ll take time to read all this.

1. Chris did send out an email in support of the bill. He meant it to go out as a personal email to friends only, with no business tag line attached, but he forgot to remove the tag line. His opinion is just that, his own, and does not represent the opinions of Elk Hunter Magazine as a whole. In fact, my own personal opinion (I’m the Editor of Elk Hunter Magazine) is in 100% disagreement with Chris in the means for fundraising – and that’s the great thing about America is that we can all voice our opinions and sometimes agree to disagree.

2. However, even though on this particular issue I disagree in philosophy with Chris on auction tags, Chris’s dedication to wildlife is one of the reasons I chose to come and work with him. Chris Denham has probably done more for wildlife than maybe any other single person in the entire West. Here’s a portion of his resume:
• Founder of Outdoor Experience 4 All – OE4A’s mission is to take kids with terminal diagnoses, physical disabilities, and children of our fallen heroes on outdoor experiences.
• Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife Conservation – Founding member
• Arizona Elk Society – Founding member
• Arizona Deer Association – Past President
• Arizona Bowhunters Association – Past Treasurer
• Arizona Wildlife Federation – Past Board Member
• Life Member of B&C
• Life Member of RMEF
• Life Member of NRA
• Life Member of Wild Sheep Foundation
• Life Member of Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
• Life Member of Arizona Antelope Foundation

3. If you would like to ask Chris something specifically, please email him at [email protected]. Like I said, even though he and I disagree in principle on the means of fundraising for this bill, I have a TON of respect for Chris, who he is, and what he does, and I don’t know a better person. I’m sure he’d be glad to help answer any questions. He is on the road at the moment, but he checks his email as much as he can.

4. We all have our own opinions on a lot of things, and we’re not bound to agree on everything. However, as Editor of Elk Hunter Magazine, I can assure you that I intend to keep the quality, content, ethics, and overall message of Elk Hunter Magazine at an extremely high level, reflective of all the hardworking blue-collar elk hunters. My entire reputation has been built on this exact stance and I can assure you it won’t change.

5. Our other editors have a pretty amazing history in hunting, ethics, and conservation as well. For example, 1) Our Hunting & Conservation Editor, George Bettas, is a founder and past President of the Mule Deer Foundation, served as Chair of the Board for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, became a Regular Member of Boone and Crockett Club in 1989, and recently retired as Executive Director of Boone and Crockett Club. 2) Our Photography Editor, Tony Bynum, is involved with a multitude of conservation work and is a board member for the Professional Outdoor Media Association. 3) I am a 20+ year member of Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, worked as an Assistant Director for Boone & Crockett Club, and have spent my entire career trying to set as high an ethical standard as possible in all publications for which I’ve served as Editor. I’ve also spent a good portion of my life attempting to preserve Idaho’s big game hunting history. Our staff is dedicated to elk, elk hunting, and conservation.

6. RMEF has a two-page spread in each and every issue of EHM, because we believe that much in wildlife conservation. We’ve also made it a clear point in our magazine that we want each and every subscriber to ultimately be a member of RMEF.

7. Our mission statement is to “educate, entertain, inspire, and share, while making our audience better hunters and more dedicated conservationists”. It’s printed in our first issue.

I really appreciate your time and hope that you can see where Elk Hunter Magazine stands as an entity and publication and can separate that from 12 different individuals’ opinions on each and every topic we may come across in the future!

Ryan Hatfield
Editor, Elk Hunter Magazine
[email protected]

Ryan,

Maybe your staff should be more prudent in their support of groups that throw average DIY type hunters under the bus.

I do appreciate the response, but in my world doing whats best for wildlife is most important, followed by doing whats right by the average hunter.

Seems to me, many have lost their way,. common sense, and whats really important takes a back seat to money...and they need to be put back on track. Taking a page from the SFW handbook...sometimes it takes hitting those with the bad ideas in the pocket book to make them pay attention...pun there.

Last edited:
Buzz,
I may be a magazine editor, but I come from a town of 800, have never been on anything but a DIY hunt - ever - and still mostly hunt general season public land. I not only can understand what the "average hunter" is, it's me. I won't ever forget or need reminded. I appreciate your comments.

Idahonative,jn your answer to buzz you stated that one of the great things about america is that we all get to voice our own opinion.I agree .For me step one of "voicing" my opinion is to never support something or someone who is in direct conflict with what is right. The fact that someone on your magazines masthead supports the AZ tag grab,tells me everything I need to know.Dont expect one cents support for your rag from me.

Ryan,

The thing that troubles me is that you shouldnt have to be defending someone that is supposedly so "in touch" with Wildlife Conservation and the average hunter....nor should I have to be raking the same guy over the coals.

I think the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation has been forgotten by most of the leadership of many of the "wildlife conservation organizations".

Time to read it again...and this time maybe they should pay attention.

Well...... There's no confusion now ;)

Now that made me laugh!!

However, I too write for the Magazine, I'll be writing the Column on Elk Vocalization! Funny thing is, I too am 100% DIY, never been guided or hunted a ranch or even private stuff! Heck, 95% of our hunts are on OTC Public Lands the other 5% is a drawn tag so that's not OTC. Just because a guy or staff writes for a magazine it does not mean they are all of one mind, my job is to focus on my column & not worry how the others handle theirs, no more than being a part of this Forum means all should know each others business or likes & dis-likes! Bottom line, you like Elk Mags then get it, if you don't like them don't get it! I'm not going to get into the Politics aspect nor do I even care about them!

But I'll be happy to talk elk with you & show you the utmost respect!

ElkNut1

Ryan-
Thanks for the explanation. I certainly wasn't trying to create a firestorm in this thread and I wasn't trying to demonize you or the magazine. Not even Chris. ;)

I was simply looking for clarification as I didn't know which one on the masthead you were. I'm glad to hear you don't share his support of that bill and that it's not the official position of the magazine. I'm still considering purchasing the magazine despite this whole deal.

I was surprised when I read Chris' email, that had become public, but to me the fact he attached the business tag line to the email doesn't matter nearly as much as the fact that someone with as much involvement and experience as he has in wildlife conservation would take his stance. I think he ought to know better. I don't want to pretend I'm the owner of the truth, because I'm far from that. But I'd hope the lesson to be learned for Chris is not that he shouldn't stick his neck out publicly (and involve the magazine) so much as that he's grabbing the wrong end of the rope on this one.

Best of luck on the launch of the magazine.
DDD

No problem DDD, I appreciate you asking, and appreciate diligent sportsmen like you and Buzz H and others for having your convictions and looking out for what you feel is right for wildlife. I actually talked on the phone with BuzzH and had an idea I'm pretty excited about that I just may try to do something with here shortly, geared toward helping wildlife by having hunters put their money where their mouths are, so stay tuned!

Hopefully we can all move past this and focus on what the magazine is about and whether or not you all like it or will like it.

In our first issue, we have articles on horse packing, backpacking, meat care, gear reviews, feature stories, historic and old-time pieces, some great abstract and visual pieces, and some amazing contributors. We've also just added three new awesome editors that I'm going to be super psyched to announce. Our goal is to reach all types of elk hunters and hopefully inspire them in many ways beyond the kill.

The one thing that matters to me and has always mattered to me is keeping content and a high level and sending a good message, so I hope you will see that reflected in the pages of our magazine.

Thank you everyone for your time!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back