Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Elk hunt interrupted

You for sure got lucky. Me...I would have taken a route of where is my pepper spray or unloaded my pistol on it !

Man that's awesome! Once in a lifetime experience for sure, glad it had the ending it did.

Looking forward to the rest of your pictures rolling in this fall.

I've had several of the same types of encounters that you described. It's really intense, and surreal at the same time.

So far, each claws to bow fight encounter, the bow won. I don't mind the other creatures out there, but cats make me nervous.

Way to go!

That's Awesome! Sure paid off to have that tag in your pocket. Way to come through under pressure!

Once is amazing. Twice is unheard of. Are you sure you weren't a lion hound in a former life? :) What do those cats have against you?

ummm, wow! One of the coolest stories I've read anywhere. Another awesome cougar story I think I read on Bowsite a couple years back. Some guy had a big cat come in and water 10-15 yards from him at a waterhole during an early season mulie or elk hunt, can't remember which. He goes to town, buys a cougar tag and the tom does the exact same thing the following day. He punches his tag with archery tackle. Crazy story, but not quite the scare factor that you experienced. Congratulations on the trophy and experience of 10 lifetimes.

Riveting story! Way to maintain your composure, not fill your pants and pull off a great shot. That's one big cat!

Wow what a story and congratulations. When ever this type of thing happens to me it's only a 1200 pound moose instead of a lion. Believe me, I am not complaining.

Once is amazing. Twice is unheard of. Are you sure you weren't a lion hound in a former life? :) What do those cats have against you?

I think this might be more common than you think. I also bet that many a bowhunter has left with a cat lurking in the bushes, and never knew it.

I had a friend up a tree, over a wallow, cow calling every once in awhile. 3 large cats came running in from different directions at the same time, they seemed dumbfounded once they got under his stand. Then one cat( the smallest) spotted him up the tree, and started to gage to distance to the stand. If you've ever seen a cat getting ready to jump up on the counter tops you know what I'm talking about. Anyway he shot that cat and it turned out to be around 140 lb tom. He made the Missoulian back then. I can go one about others too.

You need to be ready in predator country.

I honest to gosh just thought it was a bear. It is amazing how fast a person's mind really works, how fast it processes so many thoughts in a blink. It's crazy what I remember thinking very clearly. I remember not ever hearing a "growl" like that, and to describe it as a growl is close but it was more like a vibration, that I couldn't tell altogether where it was coming from, until I stopped moving completely. I remember backing into a tree on the side of the trail. I remember the cats shoulder muscles rippling with every step. And I remember thinking very clearly about spinning the knock to line it up with the bowstring. And I remember my heart sort of sinking when the arrow came off the dropaway. Everyone knows that bowhunts, it ain't going back on without letting off of draw. I remember trying to reach it with my index finger to flip it back on the rest, and as god is my judge, I don't know how it went back on, cause I never touched it. And I just remember the pin right under her chin. She was still higher than me, as the trail went uphill, I got damn lucky with that, as I think because she was crouched, it lined up her body with the flight of the arrow, so it drove the whole arrow the length of her, as it came out her flank. I've been going over and over it at work for two days. It is kind of fun to try and describe it all in words with a story. I hope the rest of the season yields a couple more.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back