Educating Adult Onset Hunter

As a fellow AOH I will say there are some great suggestions above. In a more general statement I will say that I started hunting at 33, I am 50 now and I literally learn many things every time I hunt. Tons of "to do's" and "NOT to do's". The marksmanship part of hunting has been my building block thanks to lots of shooting in the military. I had some woodsmanship before I started hunting but since coming to the west my base of knowledge has grown exponentially. Everything from driving off road, to planning camp meals, using chainsaws, the benefits of trekking poles and good boots, importance of always carrying a survival kit.....the list goes on and keeps going. The learning and picking up new techniques is one of the great parts of hunting. Best of luck to you!!!

BTW, I will be about 1 1/2 hours away from you this NOV chasing WTs again at Lake Shelbyville. It is so nice to get back to the Midwest harwoods in NOV after Mr. Whitey :)

The best advice I could give, is spend time figuring out animal habits. You can't kill them if you can't find them. There are miles upon miles of barren ground that holds very few animals. "Hunting" one and putting a bullet in them is the easy part once you figure out their habits. Doesn't matter if its an elk, a sheep or an antelope. Once you solve the puzzle you can be successful about anywhere you go.

While I think a guided hunt would be a very cool experience and you'd gain a lot of knowledge. It may be difficult to apply it to a public land area in totally different habitat/terrain and hunting pressure.

I would focus heavily on asking questions about why the animals are found in a certain location, when they show up, if they move in there. Look at habitat, what are they feeding on, why are they there. Why do they like a particular area, etc etc. I see people hunting animals in really weird places, and the only reason I can think of is that they don't know what they are doing, or were at one point very lucky to find a critter there at one point... or maybe they know more than me.

Good luck on your hunt! Sounds like a fun time.
This is some damn good advice.

Also, (and this may sound weird) its easy to take note of what the guide IS doing when hunting but don't forget to notice when and why the guide ISN'T doing anything.
This, plus @Bambistew post and I have very little to add, except that you will see many animals on your guided trip, and there are multiple reasons those animals are there at that time. If you try to replicate a later hunt in a very similar-looking terrain at the same time of year you may not see nearly the same amount of game. This all goes back to ecology of each species - their unique need for security, food, water, and mating which @Big Fin emphasizes. One detail of that equation might be different causing the animals to be elsewhere, e.g. higher pressure alters how they find security, invasive plant displaced what they prefer to eat in that habit, less or more rain in that area that year changing their watering habits, etc. The more you understand the species as an animal, you learn to know how they use the landscape different times of year, and thus target your efforts. You learn to “think” like them.

So what to ask outfitter - ask about how each animal is getting each of it’s 4 needs met (or 3, if the rut has passed) at the time they are seen on your trip.

Make sure to get the guide that does your style of hunting. On my 3rd season elk hunt, many of the guides and hunters just sat parks all day waiting for elk, but when I said I didn't want to do that I was put with a very aggressive guide. We were hiking and glassing all day which was what I wanted to do. When there was any downtime I just started asking him questions about everything elk related and got a lot of great info.

Make sure to get the guide that does your style of hunting. On my 3rd season elk hunt, many of the guides and hunters just sat parks all day waiting for elk, but when I said I didn't want to do that I was put with a very aggressive guide. We were hiking and glassing all day which was what I wanted to do. When there was any downtime I just started asking him questions about everything elk related and got a lot of great info.
Sitting water holes and parks, ugh! Just the thought makes me consider throwing myself down some steep granite.

Sitting water holes and parks, ugh! Just the thought makes me consider throwing myself down some steep granite.

That is what most of their later season hunts are, but I didn't shoot an elk while one sitting a park did.

Understand the needs at the time your hunting them/adjust terrain accordingly. Stay flexible and mobile. Be willing to go where most will not. Find the hidden holes. Pick apart the terrain your glassing. Have multiple spots / plans cause your first choice will most times not be the best choice. Focus on finding elk, enjoy the ride. The harvest is only a portion of the experience
Agree about finding the hidden holes. We found one last year and it made perfect sense based on Randy’s eScouting videos regarding boundaries. I feel like I train like a mad man getting ready and I told the outfitter I’m willing to go the distance. I had talked to one outfitter in UT who could drive everywhere and look that that’s not what I’m looking for. Maybe in another 25+ years! ;). Thanks for your insight!!

Don't be surprised if you are not "impressed" with the guide or outfitter's knowledge base on animal habits and behaviors. While there are professionals who are students of wildlife behavior, most likely these folks rely on their knowledge of the country and where they have killed elk before and what has worked for them in years past more than the "Why" of it.

The best things you can learn from them is what makes certain country "elky". I think there are more people that "guide" (notice the quotes) because they want to play with horses in the mountains than do it out of a love for the hunt. Both can be educational.

Unless its private land don't go in with the mindset that you are going to shoot an elk as its still hunting

Side question...

You mentioned 2nd second and pronghorn. Afaik there are no pronghorn seasons at that time. What am I missing?

The best advice I could give, is spend time figuring out animal habits. You can't kill them if you can't find them. There are miles upon miles of barren ground that holds very few animals.

I would focus heavily on asking questions about why the animals are found in a certain location, when they show up, if they move in there. Look at habitat, what are they feeding on, why are they there. Why do they like a particular area, etc etc. I see people hunting animals in really weird places, and the only reason I can think of is that they don't know what they are doing, or were at one point very lucky to find a critter there at one point... or maybe they know more than me.

Completely agree about being able to find them. Can’t put a stalk on something that isn’t there, right? ;)

First off, awesome job taking the initiative to get better. I would offer the advice to make sure the outfitter understands what you are after and matches you with a guide that will fit the situation. While you're situation is certainly not unusual, it isn't the norm. Most guys on a guided hunt have filling their tag as priority #1 which requires a mindset from the guide that may not be the optimal one for you. The best advice on guiding I ever received was to make the client think that my plan was his plan. While this works great for punching tags, it may not be the best for someone looking to soak up as much knowledge as possible. Be upfront and you might get even more than you thought.

Also, (and this may sound weird) its easy to take note of what the guide IS doing when hunting but don't forget to notice when and why the guide ISN'T doing anything.

Good luck!

Thank you for your insight! I’ve chatted with the outfitter and one of their head guides and I know they do set people up based on goals and personalities. I have explained how I want to learn from them, but need to reiterate the message as we get closer to the hunt. I will have to ask what their thinking/plan is when they’re not doing anything. You don’t think it’s too pushy and making it seem like I want them to do more for me?

As a fellow AOH I will say there are some great suggestions above. In a more general statement I will say that I started hunting at 33, I am 50 now and I literally learn many things every time I hunt. Tons of "to do's" and "NOT to do's". The marksmanship part of hunting has been my building block thanks to lots of shooting in the military. I had some woodsmanship before I started hunting but since coming to the west my base of knowledge has grown exponentially. Everything from driving off road, to planning camp meals, using chainsaws, the benefits of trekking poles and good boots, importance of always carrying a survival kit.....the list goes on and keeps going. The learning and picking up new techniques is one of the great parts of hunting. Best of luck to you!!!

BTW, I will be about 1 1/2 hours away from you this NOV chasing WTs again at Lake Shelbyville. It is so nice to get back to the Midwest harwoods in NOV after Mr. Whitey :)
Thanks! I agree about how learning what to do and what not to do are both very important. I’ve learned this as much hunting whitetails as elk. As for marksmanship, I took some hands-on classes from some special ops, now contract guys, out in Farmington MO and they taught me a TON! For camping, being a big part of Boy Scouts as an adult leader has helped me a bunch.

I’ve been to Shelbyville a bunch and know a couple different folks with houseboats up there. I’ve been fishing there, but never hunting. I’m always looking for more places to fill whitetail tags though. I’ll need to do some more research...

Side question...

You mentioned 2nd second and pronghorn. Afaik there are no pronghorn seasons at that time. What am I missing?
The pronghorn hunt is with a special tag. Normally, it would take like 20 years to get a non-resident antelope tag in that area, but this allows folks to hunt w/ a rifle during 2nd rifle season for antelope.

Don't be surprised if you are not "impressed" with the guide or outfitter's knowledge base on animal habits and behaviors. While there are professionals who are students of wildlife behavior, most likely these folks rely on their knowledge of the country and where they have killed elk before and what has worked for them in years past more than the "Why" of it.

The best things you can learn from them is what makes certain country "elky". I think there are more people that "guide" (notice the quotes) because they want to play with horses in the mountains than do it out of a love for the hunt. Both can be educational.
Valid points! I’m asking for a guide who has been around a while and has a lot of good knowledge to pass along.

So what to ask outfitter - ask about how each animal is getting each of it’s 4 needs met (or 3, if the rut has passed) at the time they are seen on your trip.
Good point. I know Randy hammers this home in his videos, but it’ll be good to ask the guide the questions related to the critters’ needs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back