Educating Adult Onset Hunter

This, plus @Bambistew post and I have very little to add, except that you will see many animals on your guided trip, and there are multiple reasons those animals are there at that time. If you try to replicate a later hunt in a very similar-looking terrain at the same time of year you may not see nearly the same amount of game. This all goes back to ecology of each species - their unique need for security, food, water, and mating which @Big Fin emphasizes. One detail of that equation might be different causing the animals to be elsewhere, e.g. higher pressure alters how they find security, invasive plant displaced what they prefer to eat in that habit, less or more rain in that area that year changing their watering habits, etc. The more you understand the species as an animal, you learn to know how they use the landscape different times of year, and thus target your efforts. You learn to “think” like them.
You have a point about what they eat for sure! I know when I read through the Elk & Elk Ecology book @Big Fin recommends and jotted down their foods, I didn’t know what 90%+ of what those plants/bushes are, let alone how to distinguish Blue wildrye from Millet woodrush...

The hunt for me in Shelbyville is run by the Corps of Engineers with sponsorship from the state during the first firearms season. It is for disabled IL residents and disabled Vets referred by their Wounded Warrior reps. There are separate drawings for the 2 categories. Really great event. We stay in one of the cabins in a campground, eat together and there are plenty of deer. Worth the drive for me. Got my first IL deer pin last year :) There may be a "special hunt" drawing for the area too. Like I said, PLENTY of deer around there.

As a fellow adult onset hunter with a few years of CO / WY experience now, a couple thoughts to add... I've never hunted with a guide, but have thought about a similar set up (do it once and use it as coaching). I decided if I struck out 4-5 years in a row, I'd spring for it. Ended up getting some animals down, so I didn't go that route. Instead, I say to myself I'll be aggressive in spending time and money on other learning materials (books, online courses, maps, etc.) that I think could make me a better hunter, and will help my skills compound over time. But here are a few things I would focus on in your hunt and prep:
  • I'd spend a lot of time mapping where you'll be hunting - not just about not getting lost, but really understanding the habitat and why you will be hunting there (food, cover, water, reproduction, etc.) and then (precipitation, migration cycle, etc.). Come up with your own hunt plan on how you would hunt it, then compare / contrast / discuss with your guide / hunting partners
  • Take notes - now, on the drive back from a hunt, my hunting partner(s) and I will write a huge list of everything we learned, categorized by planning, animal knowledge, shooting, field dressing, gear, pack out, car set up, etc... this becomes my basis for what I want to spend time on in the "off season" (BTW, the "off season" is a myth - there is no off season if you're going to put the time in to be successful; there's always something you can work on)
  • I'd ask them about their Plans A, B and C, etc. for the days you'll be out there. And I'd really focus on learning / creating the plans B, C, etc. One thing I've really taken to heart is that "Plan B is part of the Plan." - i.e. don't get frustrated, waste time sitting in camp / at the car figuring out what a hail mary is now that Plan A doesn't work, but just shift smoothly into Plan B. I imagine a good guide will be setting a great example on this.
I followed Randy's advice and started learning more about animal biology, habitat, etc. It's not the "sexy" part of hunting, but it's been a game changer. Now I go back and re-read and study everything I can get my hands on from CPW, WYFG, etc. about the areas and species I'll be hunting. Because of that, now when I read someone's hunt story about a season / unit, or I watch a hunting show or YouTube episode, I don't just sit there and think "wow, what a cool trophy unit and great hunters", but I specifically watch for things like:
  • What is the scenery behind them? Why are the animals there? (I'll also do google image searches for "hunting in unit X" - then look at what's in the background behind the smiling hunter)
  • I'll look at all the websites for outfitters and see on their pictures what the terrain looks like and what I can learn from it. What are their recommended gear lists, fitness levels, weather expectations, etc. and what does that tell me I should do for my DIY approach.
  • How are they responding to the changes in the weather / pressure / conditions vs. their original plan?
Some other random tidbits that have helped me:
  • Checklists. Awesome, you've spotted an animal and are going to stalk. Now your heart is racing and the hunt is on. Have a checklist (maybe mark your map app with where you're dropping your pack and where you estimate the animal is; do you have water and your survival and kill kit on hand; extra ammo; how will you use terrain / wind / cover to drive your stalk, etc..) - because you don't want to be winging it. The more I found I can plan out ahead of time on specific parts of the hunt process, the more time and mental energy I have for the hard parts. Same thing for your car, your camp, your gear, your daily plan, etc. It doesn't sound as romantic as just setting out with a rifle, but it's an odds multiplier for getting an animal down.
  • Set year round goals. Books to read. Hunt plans to make. Fitness levels. Gear checks. etc...
  • My personal focus is on becoming on the of the ~5% of elk hunters that can consistently put game down on public land every year, and meat in the freezer. But I study the heck out of trophy hunters - what can I learn from them? What does the guy shooting record bulls talk about that's applicable to me hunting DIY on OTC tag on public land? There's a lot I can learn from them. Same thing on the forums - I read the grizzled old timers' comments, and the rookie stories too - I'll learn what to do and what not to do from all of the above, and then apply that to my own style and set up.
There are a few advantages of being an adult onset hunter that I think people don't realize:
  • As an adult, you should be able to come up with a game plan on how to learn better than when you're just following someone in the field - if you're serious about getting good, you can really approach it intelligently
  • You can use maps, public resources, books, etc. better than a kid or someone just stumbling into it
  • You aren't coming in with bad habits - you can study the best and model your hunting after them; if you do this thoughtfully, you'll get better exponentially faster
Sorry for the long rambling response, but wanted to put down a few things that have been helpful to me in a similar situation. Curious what other people think on some of my approaches?

The hunt for me in Shelbyville is run by the Corps of Engineers with sponsorship from the state during the first firearms season. It is for disabled IL residents and disabled Vets referred by their Wounded Warrior reps. There are separate drawings for the 2 categories. Really great event. We stay in one of the cabins in a campground, eat together and there are plenty of deer. Worth the drive for me. Got my first IL deer pin last year :) There may be a "special hunt" drawing for the area too. Like I said, PLENTY of deer around there.
That’s great! Thank you for your service!! I’m part of a military family, but my wife wears the uniform (AF O-6). My uniform for USTRANSCOM is a suit when I’m not teleworking... ;)

As a fellow adult onset hunter with a few years of CO / WY experience now, a couple thoughts to add... I've never hunted with a guide, but have thought about a similar set up (do it once and use it as coaching). I decided if I struck out 4-5 years in a row, I'd spring for it. Ended up getting some animals down, so I didn't go that route. Instead, I say to myself I'll be aggressive in spending time and money on other learning materials (books, online courses, maps, etc.) that I think could make me a better hunter, and will help my skills compound over time. But here are a few things I would focus on in your hunt and prep:
  • I'd spend a lot of time mapping where you'll be hunting - not just about not getting lost, but really understanding the habitat and why you will be hunting there (food, cover, water, reproduction, etc.) and then (precipitation, migration cycle, etc.). Come up with your own hunt plan on how you would hunt it, then compare / contrast / discuss with your guide / hunting partners
  • Take notes - now, on the drive back from a hunt, my hunting partner(s) and I will write a huge list of everything we learned, categorized by planning, animal knowledge, shooting, field dressing, gear, pack out, car set up, etc... this becomes my basis for what I want to spend time on in the "off season" (BTW, the "off season" is a myth - there is no off season if you're going to put the time in to be successful; there's always something you can work on)
  • I'd ask them about their Plans A, B and C, etc. for the days you'll be out there. And I'd really focus on learning / creating the plans B, C, etc. One thing I've really taken to heart is that "Plan B is part of the Plan." - i.e. don't get frustrated, waste time sitting in camp / at the car figuring out what a hail mary is now that Plan A doesn't work, but just shift smoothly into Plan B. I imagine a good guide will be setting a great example on this.
I followed Randy's advice and started learning more about animal biology, habitat, etc. It's not the "sexy" part of hunting, but it's been a game changer. Now I go back and re-read and study everything I can get my hands on from CPW, WYFG, etc. about the areas and species I'll be hunting. Because of that, now when I read someone's hunt story about a season / unit, or I watch a hunting show or YouTube episode, I don't just sit there and think "wow, what a cool trophy unit and great hunters", but I specifically watch for things like:
  • What is the scenery behind them? Why are the animals there? (I'll also do google image searches for "hunting in unit X" - then look at what's in the background behind the smiling hunter)
  • I'll look at all the websites for outfitters and see on their pictures what the terrain looks like and what I can learn from it. What are their recommended gear lists, fitness levels, weather expectations, etc. and what does that tell me I should do for my DIY approach.
  • How are they responding to the changes in the weather / pressure / conditions vs. their original plan?
Some other random tidbits that have helped me:
  • Checklists. Awesome, you've spotted an animal and are going to stalk. Now your heart is racing and the hunt is on. Have a checklist (maybe mark your map app with where you're dropping your pack and where you estimate the animal is; do you have water and your survival and kill kit on hand; extra ammo; how will you use terrain / wind / cover to drive your stalk, etc..) - because you don't want to be winging it. The more I found I can plan out ahead of time on specific parts of the hunt process, the more time and mental energy I have for the hard parts. Same thing for your car, your camp, your gear, your daily plan, etc. It doesn't sound as romantic as just setting out with a rifle, but it's an odds multiplier for getting an animal down.
  • Set year round goals. Books to read. Hunt plans to make. Fitness levels. Gear checks. etc...
  • My personal focus is on becoming on the of the ~5% of elk hunters that can consistently put game down on public land every year, and meat in the freezer. But I study the heck out of trophy hunters - what can I learn from them? What does the guy shooting record bulls talk about that's applicable to me hunting DIY on OTC tag on public land? There's a lot I can learn from them. Same thing on the forums - I read the grizzled old timers' comments, and the rookie stories too - I'll learn what to do and what not to do from all of the above, and then apply that to my own style and set up.
There are a few advantages of being an adult onset hunter that I think people don't realize:
  • As an adult, you should be able to come up with a game plan on how to learn better than when you're just following someone in the field - if you're serious about getting good, you can really approach it intelligently
  • You can use maps, public resources, books, etc. better than a kid or someone just stumbling into it
  • You aren't coming in with bad habits - you can study the best and model your hunting after them; if you do this thoughtfully, you'll get better exponentially faster
Sorry for the long rambling response, but wanted to put down a few things that have been helpful to me in a similar situation. Curious what other people think on some of my approaches?
Appreciate the long, thought out response!! I do a ton of research myself. I’m an engineer professionally and it’s ingrained... ;). You should see the OneNote Notebook I have of hunting research/articles!!! I like your idea about documenting lessons learned. I know @Big Fin talks about how he jots down notes from the day. He’s never really said how he uses/stores them, but might be worth asking on a Wednesday night Q&A session... I really should do a better job at documenting hunting lessons learned since it’s part of one of my professional certifications (PMP). I’ll haven’t to build out a section in my OneNote Notebook for lessons learned. I could also do a better job of reviewing the post-hunt threads on here to gain insight.

I’m glad to hear you’ve been able to put some animals down on your DIY hunts, that’s fantastic!!

I ended up having a great experience and did learn a lot! As others said, hunting private is WAY different than public. We saw elk every day and it was nice knowing if you bedded one, some other hunter wasn't going to bust them out of the area. It was also nice to be able to go back to camp every day after hunting in the morning for some food and a nap. One of the hardest learned lessons related to my scope turret. 1) Make sure the screws are tight. 2) Make sure you always set the turret back to 0. Both of these issues resulted in me shooting about 5-6' over an animals back. Thankfully, I had another chance after #1 and harvested an antelope. Unfortunately, I never had another chance after #2 on an elk. I was taking shots with the elk @ 90 yards, but I was set for 630 and was shooting 6' over his back. Yet another unfilled elk tag... :( Next year!!!!
Antelope 2020.jpg
Mule Deer 2020.jpg

Congratulations on a successful hunt. Besides the animals did it meet your wants in gaining information for the future?
Thank you! Yes, mostly. It was definitely a different situation hunting unpressured private land vs. public like I normally do. This being said, I learned a TON! Unfortunately, some were painful experiences, like missing twice when a bull was at 90 yards b/c of my turret being set for 600+ yards.

Thank you! Yes, mostly. It was definitely a different situation hunting unpressured private land vs. public like I normally do. This being said, I learned a TON! Unfortunately, some were painful experiences, like missing twice when a bull was at 90 yards b/c of my turret being set for 600+ yards.
Yes, those new fangled things baffle me. Kidding but I’m kind of (a lot) old school.
BTW, the more game you spot the easier it gets in the future as those images imprint on your brain and recall begins to kick in. The ear, rump, antler or horizontal line in a vertical tree line you spot today will be easier to recognize tomorrow...
Don’t beat yourself up on the missed opportunities, I promise there will be more.

Last edited:
Yes, those new fangled things baffle me. Kidding but I’m kind of (a lot) old school.
BTW, the more game you spot the easier it gets in the future as those images imprint on your brain and recall begins to kick in. The ear, rump, antler or horizontal line in a vertical tree line you spot today will be easier to recognize tomorrow...
Don’t beat yourself up on the missed opportunities, I promise there will be more.

Thank you!! Yes, it was crazy how easily my guides could pick out animals. We'd be driving along and they'd come to a screeching halt after seeing something out of the corner of their eye!!!!!! By the end, I was able to find pretty close to the same number of animals while glassing. I'm praying I actually fill an elk tag soon as you mention, this is already crazy expensive!!! ;)

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back