Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Educating Adult Onset Hunter

SPDSpappy

I'm 42 and just started hunting out west a couple years ago after finding @Big Fin online (only started hunting anything a few years before that). I've been to CO for 1st rifle the last two years and haven't filled a tag myself, but had a great time. I even helped do the gutless method and carry a hunting partner's cow elk off the mountain this past year (love elk meat!!).
20191014_113429.jpg

About 18 months ago, I asked Randy during a Wednesday night Q&A session about his thoughts on me doing a guided hunt to help me along the hunting learning curve and he said go for it. I'm going to CO 2nd rifle season for elk, mule deer, and antelope on a 7-day 1x1 fully guided hunt. What questions should I ask while on the hunt to learn from the guide(s) while I have all this one on one time with them? I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I can continue hunting DIY in the future. This is a once in a lifetime trip for me and I'm using funds from a car accident settlement (been through 2 shoulder surgeries as a result and will probably never be able to shoot a compound bow again...) to pay for the hunt.

On a related note, I've listened to every Hunt Talk, Elk Talk, Hunt Backcountry, Cutting the Distance, and Jay Scott Outdoors podcast. I've watched every one of Randy & Corey's YouTube videos on elk hunting and have University of Elk Hunting. I've also checked out a bunch of elk literature from the library and read through the appropriate sections.

Thanks in advance!

---------------Info Added---------------

For those interested, here's what I've taken out of what people have provided thus far:

1589739296819.png

Last edited:
I believe the biggest thing is learning how to spot game. I would pay close attention to how they are taking apart the valleys and ridges with their glass. The distances that they are seeing elk and how they are planning their stalks. Learn how to choose your ambush sites for first light and where to be at last light.
Good luck on your hunt. I hope to see some grip and grins on here when you get back.

My best advice would be to just get out and keep going. Alot of hunting is just getting out and experiencing it. You'll screw up for sure but it should always be a learning experience on what you could have done better in certain situations.

As far as asking your guide questions. I would try and learn why they are bringing you to certain spots for the animal you are pursuing. Some of that may be dependent on if you are hunting a private lease. But try and pay attention to terrain and habitats those animals inhabit. Also have fun!

You could hunt with me and take notes on what not to do! In all seriousness though, good for you for getting into it on your own. Sounds like you've got the right idea. I'd ask a lot of behavioral questions. Why are we looking for them here? Why did we find them here? Where would they be if it was colder? Hotter? How would more pressure affect them? Where are they getting water? You learn the most about your quarry by watching them.

I believe the biggest thing is learning how to spot game. I would pay close attention to how they are taking apart the valleys and ridges with their glass. The distances that they are seeing elk and how they are planning their stalks. Learn how to choose your ambush sites for first light and where to be at last light.
Good luck on your hunt. I hope to see some grip and grins on here when you get back.
I appreciate your insight, thank you!! I think you bring up some very valid points for things to pay attention to. In my on hunt out west thus far where one of us harvested an animal, it came running towards my buddy and he shot it, no stalking necessary. ;)

Last edited:
My best advice would be to just get out and keep going. Alot of hunting is just getting out and experiencing it. You'll screw up for sure but it should always be a learning experience on what you could have done better in certain situations.

As far as asking your guide questions. I would try and learn why they are bringing you to certain spots for the animal you are pursuing. Some of that may be dependent on if you are hunting a private lease. But try and pay attention to terrain and habitats those animals inhabit. Also have fun!
Thank you! A large part of what I’ll be hunting is public, but land locked as I understand it. Some will be private. Either way, understanding why they’re in a certain place & finding the animals where they are (meant for Randy), is extremely important as you mention.

You could hunt with me and take notes on what not to do! In all seriousness though, good for you for getting into it on your own. Sounds like you've got the right idea. I'd ask a lot of behavioral questions. Why are we looking for them here? Why did we find them here? Where would they be if it was colder? Hotter? How would more pressure affect them? Where are they getting water? You learn the most about your quarry by watching them.
We learn from our mistakes (hopefully...) right? You bring up some great points, thank you!!

Biggest thing that's helped me hunt DIY is learning an area really well. Once you find game and pattern them year after year you start to learn what their habits are and the places they go when they get spooked or are pressured. With that said I also like hunting new areas to try and figure out that puzzle too.

If I were to go guided, like mentioned above, I'd learn what techniques the guides use to find game. Glassing is an acquired skill but once you figure it out it'll separate you from the pack. Once the guide glasses up game have him "walk" your glass to where it is so you can find it too, that'll help once your on your own. Im also always curious what people pack into the field. So pay attention to the gear they use, there's a reason for it. Most importantly have fun and be a sponge!

Tell the guide what you want! Most guides I've run into are happy to share and teach, if you want to learn (and not second guess)

In my experience, there are two things that seem to be struggles for people new to hunting or new to hunting the west that to me are basic skills if you are to be successful:

1. How to find your target animal in a big landscape. Even seasoned hunters from other places come out here and are completely stymied by the scale of the landscape. Learning to focus down on the likely places to hold game is a key skill that your guide should be very good at. Ask what types of places the guide is targeting, and why.

2. How to glass. When, where, how far, what you’re looking for. Lots of people just don’t understand glassing. Depends on the game and the habitat, but on a multi species hunt you could be exposed to several different techniques. Your guide should also be very good at this. Ask for pointers, and take the opportunity to practice/get help while you have it.

Biggest thing that's helped me hunt DIY is learning an area really well. Once you find game and pattern them year after year you start to learn what their habits are and the places they go when they get spooked or are pressured. With that said I also like hunting new areas to try and figure out that puzzle too.

If I were to go guided, like mentioned above, I'd learn what techniques the guides use to find game. Glassing is an acquired skill but once you figure it out it'll separate you from the pack. Once the guide glasses up game have him "walk" your glass to where it is so you can find it too, that'll help once your on your own. Im also always curious what people pack into the field. So pay attention to the gear they use, there's a reason for it. Most importantly have fun and be a sponge!
Completely agree about getting to know an area. We understood the area we went to in CO much better after being there the 2nd time!!

I agree about needing to improve my glassing skills. I haven’t been able to locate one at any extended distance as of yet.

In my experience, there are two things that seem to be struggles for people new to hunting or new to hunting the west that to me are basic skills if you are to be successful:

1. How to find your target animal in a big landscape. Even seasoned hunters from other places come out here and are completely stymied by the scale of the landscape. Learning to focus down on the likely places to hold game is a key skill that your guide should be very good at. Ask what types of places the guide is targeting, and why.

2. How to glass. When, where, how far, what you’re looking for. Lots of people just don’t understand glassing. Depends on the game and the habitat, but on a multi species hunt you could be exposed to several different techniques. Your guide should also be very good at this. Ask for pointers, and take the opportunity to practice/get help while you have it.

Yes, I never quite understood the scale until I went to CO on a DIY elk hunt for the first time!!

Glassing is definitely something I could use some help with. I’ve read what Randy and Corey have posted about it, but haven’t been able to find one with this method thus far.

Thank you!!

For us newb elk hunters, I think you are ahead of the game being that you do not have Whitetail hunting embedded in your brain. There is nothing to "unlearn". Now if someone can just show us how to find elk :) <----jk

Understand the needs at the time your hunting them/adjust terrain accordingly. Stay flexible and mobile. Be willing to go where most will not. Find the hidden holes. Pick apart the terrain your glassing. Have multiple spots / plans cause your first choice will most times not be the best choice. Focus on finding elk, enjoy the ride. The harvest is only a portion of the experience

The best advice I could give, is spend time figuring out animal habits. You can't kill them if you can't find them. There are miles upon miles of barren ground that holds very few animals. "Hunting" one and putting a bullet in them is the easy part once you figure out their habits. Doesn't matter if its an elk, a sheep or an antelope. Once you solve the puzzle you can be successful about anywhere you go.

While I think a guided hunt would be a very cool experience and you'd gain a lot of knowledge. It may be difficult to apply it to a public land area in totally different habitat/terrain and hunting pressure.

I would focus heavily on asking questions about why the animals are found in a certain location, when they show up, if they move in there. Look at habitat, what are they feeding on, why are they there. Why do they like a particular area, etc etc. I see people hunting animals in really weird places, and the only reason I can think of is that they don't know what they are doing, or were at one point very lucky to find a critter there at one point... or maybe they know more than me.

Good luck on your hunt! Sounds like a fun time.

First off, awesome job taking the initiative to get better. I would offer the advice to make sure the outfitter understands what you are after and matches you with a guide that will fit the situation. While you're situation is certainly not unusual, it isn't the norm. Most guys on a guided hunt have filling their tag as priority #1 which requires a mindset from the guide that may not be the optimal one for you. The best advice on guiding I ever received was to make the client think that my plan was his plan. While this works great for punching tags, it may not be the best for someone looking to soak up as much knowledge as possible. Be upfront and you might get even more than you thought.

Also, (and this may sound weird) its easy to take note of what the guide IS doing when hunting but don't forget to notice when and why the guide ISN'T doing anything.

Good luck!

Back