E-Scouting for Elk using onX

Thanks Randy, I bought in in 2017 after watching one of your E scouting sessions and thought I would have a tough time grasping the technology. I used it last fall with minor success in mastering it. I didn't become good at using it though until I parked my Garmin and started using it to navigate. I now have off grid maps for my AZ Archery hunt loaded (which I have already scouted), and my CA Antelope hunt ( which I have already scouted). I have yet to load my CO Deer hunt maps for my Nov. hunt but intend to do that as well. I have been hunting the boundaries all my life and this has taken much of the uncertainty out of my map reading.

Now we are getting into the good stuff. To me, the next two videos are the most important of the entire series. This is the video that explains the four primary needs elk have; food, water, sanctuary, and breeding.

That sounds rather fundamental because it is. Yet, most times people fail to find elk is due to not understanding what of those four needs is the primary need. Identify the primary need and where you can satisfy that primary need, and you have identified where you will find the elk at the time you are hunting them.

[video=youtube_share;_MWdBtaAlA4]https://youtu.be/_MWdBtaAlA4[/video]

Hunting Sitka Blacktails and Dall sheep the last three weeks has me a bit behind on the E-scouting series.

Part 8 - The 5 Periods of the Elk Season is now live. When combined with Part 7, needs, makes up the core of how I do my planning.

[video=youtube_share;9gNs9b9l6g0]https://youtu.be/9gNs9b9l6g0[/video]

Part 9 - Putting all the pieces together to create a pre-rut archery elk plan. Next two episodes revolve around a post-rut plan and executing that plan.

[video=youtube_share;siTZEejjpbA]https://youtu.be/siTZEejjpbA[/video]

Hopefully folks understand why we used this unit as an example; 1) we've used this unit as an example in the past, 2) we've hunted it for archery, 3) we've hunted it for rifle, and 4) we took elk on both those hunts.

This last episode (#9) on pre rut planning, is the best one yet. With lots of new information that I haven't seen before. WOW so looking forward to the rest on these.

Be Safe,

Watched Episodes 1 through 5 last night and learned so much that I can't wait to watch more soon. Thank you, Randy, for sharing your knowledge and experience with the rest of us. It was your teaching spirit, which comes through so much in your OYOA and Fresh Tracks TV shows that drew me to your platforms in the first place.

Thanks again.
Mark

In case anyone wasn't aware, Randy has continued the series this year and the first few episodes have been posted. I think this year's version could be extremely beneficial to new and experienced hunters alike!

This will be my first season hunting for elk and using OnX Maps. Luckily, when you zoom in for this particular section that I'm currently scouting, it shows a winter satellite image. I can clearly see substantial elk tracks from the image across this meadow. It's roughly two miles from the nearest forest service road. Should this be a good indication that the elk will most likely pass through this meadow? Even if the satellite image is a year or two old?

This will be my first season hunting for elk and using OnX Maps. Luckily, when you zoom in for this particular section that I'm currently scouting, it shows a winter satellite image. I can clearly see substantial elk tracks from the image across this meadow. It's roughly two miles from the nearest forest service road. Should this be a good indication that the elk will most likely pass through this meadow? Even if the satellite image is a year or two old?
How certain are you that those are not cattle tracks?

Fairly remote spot in the NF. Elevation is about 7,500ft. I don't think they permit cattle grazing in this region. I would be pretty bummed if that was the case.

I have not seen a spot, other than NPS, that does not have grazing, if public. 7500 ft certainly is plenty low for cattle.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• EC3DEB92-8F54-4482-9FE2-581D866E5199.jpeg
    EC3DEB92-8F54-4482-9FE2-581D866E5199.jpeg
    8.7 MB · Views: 43
  • 15900983-089E-4322-8ABA-532161DEC5DB.jpeg
    15900983-089E-4322-8ABA-532161DEC5DB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members