Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Does your current-production gun have markings this neat?

It's true that many markings in gun metal can be read but how NEAT are they anyway? I don't like impressions of uneven depth, letters and numbers that are cockeyed or letters and numbers with rough edges. Some letters and numbers are not adequately spaced. I don't like letters and numbers that are too thin or too squatty. Take a look at that Remington Model 788 photo again. Notice the uniform depth and thickness of the characters. Notice sufficient character spacing. Notice how the edges of characters are not saw-tooth or rolled up along the edges like sea waves. The edges are flush with the metal surface. It may have been that the metal surface was machined AFTER the roll stamping was made. It may have also been that a machine engraving process was used. The Remington Arms factory employee who made that marking had pride in his workmanship and/or his boss was old-school tough. Manufacturing has largely gotten sloppy these days. It's due to loss of work ethic.
download.jpg

You can't drop old warhorses like this on us without more pics. Especially with the 88.
The 1888 Commission rifle was only in my possession for about a week — I picked it up at a live auction and flipped it to a collector. It was intact but had been “Turked.”
3F1752B0-4E00-41E9-B0F9-BB689C6C736A.jpeg4352A34F-D82A-4EC2-9389-C9F762ED6B87.jpeg

I think I’ve posted pics of the others before. One is a Carcano that was sporterized long ago and which I refinished the stock and cold-blued the metal:
C459FB89-770B-466E-A068-959B477AF63B.jpeg

And the Spanish Mauser, also sporterized long ago, got the same refinish & reblue treatment:

0B3CB897-1FB0-4147-8148-40F8F9885C04.jpeg

Man, I’d imagined the myth around this gun to be more of a “Pretty Boy Floyd” Woody Guthrie ballad about ensuring fairness and justice in the land (as well as keeping possums out of MT). But, I really like your Cormac McCarthy novel-style apocalypse insurance idea.

What kind of beans are we talking though? Some types are worth killing over more than others.

Well, that's easy. Van Camp's Pork and Beans. Just like grandaddy used to eat. Not any of that new fangled aluminum canned stuff like Bush's Baked Beans. I'm talking old school tin canned beans. The kind of tin can any American would be proud to own. Younger generations have lost an appreciation for real tin. Young people don't know what is good. Tin is good. Young people are spoiled, lazy, and have no work ethic. They walk around all day with their pockets filled with aluminum cans with bad lettering jibber jabbering about their internets. Give me a real tin can of beans heated over a barrel filled with gasoline. Not in some mass produced skillet on some electric stove. Stoves are bad. Electricity is bad. Gasoline fires are good. Like in the depression.

The 788 did itself in by embarrassing the rem 700 it wasn’t even supposed to be competing against.
So you expect me to believe that Remington was making the same profit margin on both rifles, and people were buying the 788 instead of the 700, and Remington didn’t like making money, so they nixed the 788? Makes sense.

Well, that's easy. Van Camp's Pork and Beans. Just like grandaddy used to eat. Not any of that new fangled aluminum canned stuff like Bush's Baked Beans. I'm talking old school tin canned beans. The kind of tin can any American would be proud to own. Younger generations have lost an appreciation for real tin. Young people don't know what is good. Tin is good. Young people are spoiled, lazy, and have no work ethic. They walk around all day with their pockets filled with aluminum cans with bad lettering jibber jabbering about their internets. Give me a real tin can of beans heated over a barrel filled with gasoline. Not in some mass produced skillet on some electric stove. Stoves are bad. Electricity is bad. Gasoline fires are good. Like in the depression.

Now when I was a boy
My daddy sat me on his knee
And he told me
He told me many things
And he said son
There's a lot of things in this world
You're gonna have no use for
And when you get blue
And you've lost all your dreams
There's nothin' like a campfire
And a can of beans

Now when I was a boy
My daddy sat me on his knee
And he told me
He told me many things
And he said son
There's a lot of things in this world
You're gonna have no use for
And when you get blue
And you've lost all your dreams
There's nothin' like a campfire
And a can of beans
Carnation Milk is the best in the land / Here I sit with a can in my hand / No teats to pull, no hay to pitch / You just punch a hole in the son of a bitch.

My Rem 700 is scratched & the blue worn in places. But the engravings are good. I've worn them in spots on my 94 right off with the blueing.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back