Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

It's a shame how some folks butcher a Savage Model 99

Have to wonder why Savage didn't put the name and number in a better location. Even my WWII Springfield has the serial number on top of the receiver offset enough that a scope mount won't cover it up. I'm sure many folks are aghast at what Dad and I have done to that gun. It has no collector value now but it's certainly a much better rifle for hunting than military issue. I'm by profession a historian and truly love old things and old ways, but I don't find simply adding a scope to a Model 99 alters my feelings for that gun one bit. What Savage did to production models towards the end of the run bothered me a lot more: brown stained white wood with stamped checkering and removing the magazine window.

Last edited:
Hi guys!
First post here, sorry this came up on my google search of savage model 99. Anyhow I just inherited this rifle and was thinking that since it’s chambered in .243 I could rebarrel it to 6.5 creed. Anybody know of a competent smith who could chamber it, I was thinking one of those carbon barrels would be pretty cool. At first thought I was gonna just use a dremmel to open up the stock and rattle can it, but after thinking about it I don’t really like the wood anyhow because of the weight. I’m hoping to find some black synthetic aftermarket stock replacements but I really wanted something that had a enclosed forend to accommodate my night vision as my primary purpose is coyote hunting and I don’t think it will be enough gun to take down a deer.

Tia
7DAAE0EC-2C1E-4ECE-89F8-2FB194ED5BA5.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi guys!
First post here, sorry this came up on my google search of savage model 99. Anyhow I just inherited this rifle and was thinking that since it’s chambered in .243 I could rebarrel it to 6.5 creed. Anybody know of a competent smith who could chamber it, I was thinking one of those carbon barrels would be pretty cool. At first thought I was gonna just use a dremmel to open up the stock and rattle can it, but after thinking about it I don’t really like the wood anyhow because of the weight. I’m hoping to find some black synthetic aftermarket stock replacements but I really wanted something that had a enclosed forend to accommodate my night vision as my primary purpose is coyote hunting and I don’t think it will be enough gun to take down a deer.

Tia
View attachment 206920

Dear Tia,

While the 6.5 Creedmoor, in the iconic Savage 99, might not be enough gun for deer, it should be a teriffic choice for Eurasian collared dove, if legal in your state/locale.

Yours truly,

BAKPAKR

My granddad had an old Italian 6.5 Mannlicher Carcano M91/38 that he butchered pretty good. He made a side scope mount out of a framing square from his shop, and drilled and tapped it straight to the side. Hell, he even let his kid (my mom) wood burn his name into the stock. Unlike most of that vintage, this one was a tack driver. Forty years worth of deer never knew the difference. He would plop a lawn chair out in the middle of a field with his head in a stormy kroger barely above whichever crop he planted that season . Some asshole eventually stole that gun. I'd give a pretty penny for it if I could find it, "butchered" and all.

At first I was thinking Otto, but now I’m leaning more towards Azelkhntr. Wasn’t that guy busted for rejoining under a new username already? Whoever it is, no doubt he’s loving all the attention he’s getting.

This guys seems to have some grasp of fact and maybe half a desire to create a discussion, as opposed to Azelkhunter who has none and is now a resident troll over on Bowsite. Recently he complained over there that they're turning into a bunch of liberal softies like those guys on that HuntTalk forum who banned him 🤣

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back